tac2137

Ear Bleeding Tweeters.

So i bought pioneer ts d1720c and the tweeters are pretty harsh. I have them mounted buy my side mirrors. They aren't directed right at me but they are pretty close to me. I have them wired at -3db on the crossover as well and running off of my head unit at the moment. They also get pretty distorted in my opinion if i turn my stereo up at 27/35 (35 is the loudest it gets) Should i try different mounting spots? I have also read some bad things about these tweeters but i understand its all about the install and tuning. 

What radio do you have? You need to adjust the EQ to bring some of that down. Try to turn down 2.5k, 6k, and 10k and 16k. These are just some common freq's that make that harsh sound.

Is everything running off the head unit?

What did you pay for these? any chance on a refund?You could have scored a set of CDT's or Image Dynamics for the around the same price most pioneer comps I have heard or harsh and their power handling is very overrated..Like was stated above what exact equipment are you running with these? That would be more helpful assisting you..

What did you pay for these? any chance on a refund?You could have scored a set of CDT's or Image Dynamics for the around the same price most pioneer comps I have heard or harsh and their power handling is very overrated..Like was stated above what exact equipment are you running with these? That would be more helpful assisting you..

Just as a clarification, 2 things.  1) Pio 720Prs is a WAY better set than a CDT or ID set for similar price.  WAY, WAY. 2) I haven't played with the 'new' set above and have no idea if it holds true there.

All that being said, anything on h/u power can sound like crap at higher levels.  Hard to sound good on 3w.

Uhh? your telling me the the TS-D1720c comp set Is better then the CL-61A-25 pro's? you serious! pioneer is not even in the same class I would never recommend a pioneer speaker other than the higher line premier and I would be embarrassed about that! But I love their H/U's that's all I will use.

The mids on the old 720prs set the M5 mentioned were world class performers in terms of linearity and distortion, kicking this shit out of anything CDT.

The OP stated nothing about the 720prs....But the d1720c's That would be like comparing a Old punch45HD to a P300X2....

What did you pay for these? any chance on a refund?You could have scored a set of CDT's or Image Dynamics for the around the same price most pioneer comps I have heard or harsh and their power handling is very

overrated..Like was stated above what exact equipment are you running with these? That would be more helpful assisting you..

$104 with free shipping. Sorry its taking me so long to reply. I'm at work and I don't get of till 2:15 am eastern

As of right now meaning I will soon be getting an amp everything is off of head unit and ran through crossovers

The OP stated nothing about the 720prs....But the d1720c's That would be like comparing a Old punch45HD to a P300X2....

They are the more modern version.  Not saying they are worth a shit, I clarified that in my post.

On the same note, I am horribly unimpressed with either the CDT or ID stuff.  Awful at their price point IMO.

I have to agree with M5 on the CDT's.  Though I've only played with two sets and neither were much more expensive than the D1720's (retail prices), I've heard lots better for the same or less money.  The only ID's I've played with are the CTX's and they are on par with everything else in their price range IMO.

To the OP, once you get them on an amp be sure to play around with them some more.  Switch the polarity on one tweeter, then on the other tweeter, then both at the same time.  Do the same thing to the mids as well.  Placement in the vehicle and the interaction between the drivers can sometimes cause issues in the response you hear.  Switching the phasing up might help you find and break some destructive interaction between the different drivers.  You would also be surprised that many times harsh ear bleeding highs are caused be response problems in the mids rather than the tweeters.  As Sencheezy mentioned on frequencies to adjust on your EQ, don't just concentrate on the higher frequencies, play around in some of the mid (1.5k to 5k) frequencies as well.  If the mid is causing the harshness you'll find it in those frequencies.

I've installed and played with several sets of these speakers.  There's rarely a set in this price range that doesn't have at least one weakness that through either installation or adjustment can be dealt with.  To me these typically have fewer issues to either deal with or compromise with than others I've installed.  Before switching up to going active with a full range/dedicated midbass setup in my Jimmy I was about to replace my Bravox components with this same set.  The Bravox mids would seem as though they were going to rip your ears off your head on certain songs.  I found that the response issue with them simply could not be adjusted out on the EQ, nor could any amount of phase switching or even running them active helped.  Well, I could adjust it out on the EQ but then it hurt any chances of actually using them for music it was so bad.

Get them some real power, get the installation right and I am fairly certain they'll come alive for you.  It has been a few years since I've installed any and I suppose there's a possibility they've changed something for the worse but I would be surprised if they did.