dsrt4

Decent replacement for Sony Midbass woofer?

I have a set of Sony XS-GS1720S 6.5 x components that I put in my Focus over the summer running off the stock Base headunit. The drivers side woofer has blown. I am looking at the

PRV Audio 6MB200-4 6.5 Inch 4 ohm Mid Bass as a replacement for the Sony midbass speakers but still use the Sony crossover and tweeter.

I plan on adding a second set of components to the rear doors and getting a decent 4 channel amp to run it all a little later down the road.

Would the prv's listed above be a decent replacement for these Sony's in all the doors. Or am I looking at the wrong speakers?

What caused the mid bass to blow?

I would just replace the whole comp set.

Also I would just run front speakers forget the rears.

Just get a 2 channel to run your front stage comps.

Do you have (sub)s?

No the prv mid bass would not match the pioneer mid bass speakers.

Edited by pmureika

Buying woofers wont help, it will just blow again especially using the crossover set for another set of speakers. Buying an aftermarket headunit and/or 4 channel amp will be much needed purchase. Stock Headunit can only do so much especially the Bose, wont work well with aftermarket speakers on the Bose amps.

I'm not getting rid of the stock radio. It isn't Bose and does not have a factory amp. It's the stock Base model radio in the 14 Ford focus.

I do not know What caused the Sony midbass speakers to blow. Junk Chinese stuff I reckon.

I have a fi bl 15 in the back.

Edited by dsrt4

Does it have a factory amp?

Do you know if the coil blew or something else?

Sounds like the vc let loose. No factory amp. Stock Ford 6.5 speakers had a rating of 35 watts. The factory radio isn't over powering the Sony s according to their Rms rating.

I was just thinking of piecing a set of components up myself and these prvs looked the part.

I want the rear doors running as well.

Sounds like the vc let loose. No factory amp. Stock Ford 6.5 speakers had a rating of 35 watts. The factory radio isn't over powering the Sony s according to their Rms rating.

I was just thinking of piecing a set of components up myself and these prvs looked the part.

I want the rear doors running as well.

Why a musical band don't play behind you.

Why should your system be able to?

Cause I want it to?

okay I can only recommend things not force you to do them.

OMG you do not want to do that...Just find a budget for a new set of comps and I'm sure somebody here can guide you in the right direction..After wasting money and time on shaddy products...Spending a few extra dollars for some quality gear will be worth it in the long run.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink OLD FART

Going to need a new crossover if you change the driver.  No other way around it.  Using a PRV with your tweeter means custom crossovers which will cost way more than a new component set.

New comp set for the win!!!

OMG you do not want to do that...Just find a budget for a new set of comps and I'm sure somebody here can guide you in the right direction..After wasting money and time on shaddy products...Spending a few extra dollars for some quality gear will be worth it in the long run.

I thought this prv stuff was supposed to be pretty good?

You are asking advice on piecing a comp set together with some sony equipment am I right?

Yes you are right and he has been told no.

OMG you do not want to do that...Just find a budget for a new set of comps and I'm sure somebody here can guide you in the right direction..After wasting money and time on shaddy products...Spending a few extra dollars for some quality gear will be worth it in the long run.

I have no idea about their actual build quality...but for your purposes (2-way comp set), and really most any purpose, their performance is going to be horseshit. They were poorly designed in terms of parameters, which makes them useful for about nothing.

Also as M5 pointed out, you can't just add a random mid to a predesigned component set. There is dumb luck, and it might "work" okay with another mid in place of the Sony (but not the PRV) since the crossover is probably just a simple textbook design.....but the best bet is to purchase a new comp set rather than trying to cobble one together with unknown results.

Agreed with Impious...How many times does this need to be stressed?lol save your monies!

If you had to ask in the first place, you have no room to tell everyone who says it won't work, that they are wrong.

Our Midbass speakers will out performance almost every component set in the market specially the cheap ones, now We are talking about here a $30 speaker of couse you can get a $300 component set that will has a better performance, but on the same price level the 6MB200-4 is hard to beat

Please only take in consideration review of actual customer that have owner this product

We would like to support this statement with one of our authorized dealer that has been working with us for years -

Please take a look on the reviews - http://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-6mb200-6-1-2-midbass-speaker-8-ohm--294-2700#lblReviews

Please take in consideration SSA also sells them on their website - they are still new with our brand so there isnt much review on our products yet

but you can find them here - http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/search.php?search_query=6MB200

You can find all the specs that you need on our website on this speaker - http://prvaudio.com/pdf/6MB200-4_Datasheet.pdf

so you can make the decision if this speaker will be the best fit for your system

Going to need a new crossover if you change the driver.  No other way around it.  Using a PRV with your tweeter means custom crossovers which will cost way more than a new component set.

BEST COMMENT - HERE

Thank you for your support and sharing your knowledge

But depends which head unit you have, the 6MB200 handles 100rms if you have a stock units that only gives you 20 or 30RMS to the speaker you will not need a crossover for it

it will take the power a full range point

I am going to assume you just plugged the drivers into the factory locations in the door.  If this is the case, that is why your driver failed.  It went past it's mechanical limits.  The factory drivers do it, and without proper control, you're going to continue to pop mids.