Sign in to follow this  
pmureika

A Icon on 400 wrms.

Will a icon sound good on 400 wrms?

The box size is 1.45 cubic ft @ 40 hz

Edited by pmureika

10"?  40hz is kind of high for my taste, but my ICON 12 sounds very nice on 600rms in 2.25ft^3 @ 33ish.

edit: better than anything else I've run in this power/enclosure range.

Edited by bombsaway

I don't know because I don't know what sounds good to you. You running a stock front stage?

Wow dude, the lack of details. Come on, help us help you.

I have a exiting system that has 400 rms going to it. I want to know if a icon would work as a upgrade? Current sub is a SQ hds-210.

Is the SQ sub in the 1.45 ft^3 box tuned to 40 hz? If so, I would say make a new box tuned lower (like 35hz, maybe 32) and if that isn't what you like then I would suggest more surface area.

the Icon is more of an SQ sub.....personally I would not tune it any higher than 33hz

I have had a 12" Icon on 500w rms in a buddies truck and it moved good...

took a while to break in but IMO the Icon is one of the nicest sounding subs on the market

I don,t want to build a new box because of my budget. This would be a used icon 10 going in the box.

That is what I am looking for is more sq.

Edited by pmureika

I don't know because I don't know what sounds good to you. You running a stock front stage?

Yes a JVC head unit with a Barbara Ann amp running the comps in the doors and channels 3 & 4 running the sub.

I'm running my two Icon 12's on 350w rms for the pair....still has decent output and sounds very good IMHO. Tuned @ 30hz

I'm running my two Icon 12's on 350w rms for the pair....still has decent output and sounds very good IMHO. Tuned @ 30hz

The box I have right now is tuned to 40hz and I don't have money to make a new one.

What kind of music do you listen to? Most sq builds have a sub stage tuned very low usually. I think you will see a little improvement from just a direct swap in drivers but I think if you made a new box, it would be cheaper with better results.

What kind of music do you listen to? Most sq builds have a sub stage tuned very low usually. I think you will see a little improvement from just a direct swap in drivers but I think if you made a new box, it would be cheaper with better results.

Mostly classic rock.

You would be wasting money buying a used ICON only to throw it in the same box.  If you want to sound better you need a better enclosure.

The box I have right now is tuned to 40hz and I don't have money to make a new one.

What we are saying is that it will perform very well on low power

Edited by garychurch84

You been on this forum long enough to know their is no such thing as underpowering a subwoofer and stuffing a subwoofer in a pre-fab box even if its a custom box for another sub is a no go. Every thread you make is ridiculous and you give the least bit of information, like you tell the newcomers when they start a thread please read the rules before making a topic. You need to follow that same advice that you dish out.

If thats all you can get at the moment and you wanna go for it then do it as it is your money and install. If you want optimal results then stick witt the recommended info on SSA's site for the Icon enclosures. Yes it will work, how good it will work is subjective so as long as you like it.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/13994-attention-noobs/

Edited by jay-cee

Plug the port and run it sealed.

That is a option, but I like to run ported boxes in my Jeep Liberty. I might have to skip new tractor tires and build a better box.

That is a option, but I like to run ported boxes in my Jeep Liberty. I might have to skip new tractor tires and build a better box.

Build it on the large side to compensate for the power you are using, I loved my 15" Icon ported.

Build it on the large side to compensate for the power you are using, I loved my 15" Icon ported.

That's what I was going to do if I build a new one. I took the sub out of the existing box and looked at it better. I am surprised that what I thought was a custom built box is a prefrab stuffed with poly fill. I will never have him build a box again. Or should I say claim to build a custom box. It sounded ok with the sq sub, but a icon won't like you said.

Edited by pmureika

To address just the power question, the Icon will perform on that power.  Now I am not a fan of 40hz tuning for the Icon.

To address just the power question, the Icon will perform on that power.  Now I am not a fan of 40hz tuning for the Icon.

agreed

agreed

New box coming 2.0 ft^3 @ 32hz.

Do you think this will help?001_zpsbdb63b61.jpg

Edited by pmureika