Sign in to follow this  
riored4v

Thinking of switching sub setup..

Currently have a 12" Ethos in a ported (aero-port) 1.75 cu ft enclosure.  It's being powered by a Crescendo 1500.1.

No complaints with the Ethos.  I've just been considering downsizing on the box.  First thought was to toss it in to a sealed setup, but then I might end up being disappointed from the output.  Other thought was to consider moving towards either two 10's or 12's in a sealed setup.  Looking at a few options, it seems like I can get down in the 1.0 cu ft range with using two 10's.

Since the 10's would likely put me in to the desired box size, any recommendations on this?  Would this potentially be a signaficant downgrade from the single Ethos?  Curious to hear what you guys might think. 

Fwiw.. this is just a daily setup in a Focus hatchback.

Small box means less output, usually, don't you think ?

Try it sealed, it will be cheaper first. If you don't like it, then you'll try something else.

Try it sealed, it will be cheaper first. If you don't like it, then you'll try something else.

yeah i second this, try the Ethos sealed. Then if not completely satisfied with output and box size then change subs.

I'd agree.  I guess my thought was that even with smaller box, but running more surface area of subs might help offset that.  I could give the Ethos sealed a shot, but I was also just curious about the smaller, more sub idea. 

The Ethos should be closer to 1.125 - 1.5 net ported.

You will be hard pressed to find another sub or set of subs on the same power that sound as good and as loud in a box 1cft net sealed.

You will need two 10's with 22.9 mm of Xmax each to compress the same amount of air as one Ethos 12.

Then you have to consider gain from the enclosures.

You will be hard pressed to find another sub or set of subs on the same power that sound as good and as loud in a box 1cft net sealed.

Yea, I know the ported box is a tad on the large size.  I remember talking wtih you a bit about that, and since it was being underpowered, the slightly larger enclosure would help it out a little (if i recall correctly).  The box was initially designed for my old ICON, but replaced it with the Ethos.

But speaking of the ICON, I think I actually have my old sealed box that I had for it laying around.  I believe it was built to 1.35cft, so minus displacement I'd be around 1.16cft.  I might actually give that a shot and try tossing it in that box.

Try the ethos Sealed

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot first.  I'd definitely prefer to not have to spend any extra money if it wasn't needed.

Been thinking more about this, and since my current box was technically designed for an ICON, I'm thinking of having another box designed for me for the Ethos.  Which would be the best size to have the guy design out for me? 

For the tuning, its currently using a 4" PSP Aeroport for 32hz.  Would this still be the best spot to tune it at?

A 4 inch port is WAY too small you need a minimum of 30 square inches of port. With only 12.5 inches of port you are encountering major port compression. What you have now is basically a big leaky sealed box.

The box needs to be 1.25 cft tuned to 32hz with a minimum of 30 inches of port.

A 4 inch port is WAY too small you need a minimum of 30 square inches of port. With only 12.5 inches of port you are encountering major port compression. What you have now is basically a big leaky sealed box.

The box needs to be 1.25 cft tuned to 32hz with a minimum of 30 inches of port.

Interesting.  Seems like I should be looking at a rebuild of the box.

I know you mentioned 12.5", but my current total length of the port is at 16.75".  These are the specs that were provided to be on the blueprint:

General box information:

Overall size: 21.5"w x 13"h x 17"d

Gross box volume: 2.06ft3

Net box volume (after port, bracing and sub displacement): 1.75ft3

Port size: 4" PSP aeroport

Port tuning: 32hz

4" PSP aeroport, total length of 16.75" long (center tube should be cut to 10.75" long, combined with the flares on both ends, it will equal 16.75" long)

The 12.5 inches Q mentioned is the port area. 12.5 in^2 is very low for port area on a 12" sub. A new box would be your best bet at this point.

The 12.5 inches Q mentioned is the port area. 12.5 in^2 is very low for port area on a 12" sub. A new box would be your best bet at this point.

^^ This exactly.  The cross-sectional area of the port tube.  Area for a circle is calculated as Pi * Radius squared.  So the radius of a 4" tube is 2", 2 squared is simply 4, multiplied by 3.14 = 12.56 sqare inches.

You would need a port diameter of roughly 6" to get near the 30 sqin minimum requirement for port area.  6" diameter is a 3" radius, 3 squared is 9, 9 multiplied by 3.14 = 28.26 sqare inches.

Yeah, definately more port area!!!! lol.

After re-reading the first post, a new box with more port area is kinda the opposite of what you were asking about as that would not be giving you a smaller box. Considering the box it is in now, going sealed may not be as big of a loss in output as you might be anticipating. It might even sound better, only one way to find out though.

Thanks for all the info. A little confusing but very helpful. I guess now I'm trying to wrap my head around how the box designer could have been that far off.

I might still toss it in a sealed setup but now I'm curious how much better it would sound in a more accurate ported enclosure. So would an aero port even possible with this sub while still achieving proper port area? Ideally I'd like to go aero to keep the size down but if it's not possible then I could consider just how big the box would need to be with a slot port.

Buy a new six inch aero, and place a wood block or two inside the existing enclosure, maybe even add overkill bracing to lower volume, no doubt cheaper than a new box.

Buy a new six inch aero, and place a wood block or two inside the existing enclosure, maybe even add overkill bracing to lower volume, no doubt cheaper than a new box.

Unfortunately i dont have a way of fitting the 6" aero in the current box.  The current 4" one is very close (around 3/4") to the sub as it is.  I actually had to add an additional sheet of MDF on the top for the magnet to clear the port

14466143640_419114f345_c.jpg20140711_184611 by riored4v, on Flickr

Do you really need a little more room back there ? You won't have a lot more with a sealed box.

Take that room for a serious ported box. This sub deserves it. :)  :)

You can have port firing back or up. Keep the same depth and the same height, but a wider box !

Good luck !

Do you really need a little more room back there ? You won't have a lot more with a sealed box.

Take that room for a serious ported box. This sub deserves it. smile.png  smile.png

You can have port firing back or up. Keep the same depth and the same height, but a wider box !

Good luck !

That's what I'm starting to consider.  I wonder if by re-working the box, if going with a smaller cft box, but even with a slot or larger aero port, how much extra room would it really take up?  Especially if it was designed to be more rectangular leaving basically half of the hatch area still usable.  I also recently flipped the box to where the sub fires against the back of the hatch and it sounds much better, so that would be part of the new box too.  I guess at this point its a matter of having someone re-design it for me so I can see what it would look like. Not sure I want to pay for the blueprints again though since the last ones were so far off.  Any recommendations?

I'd be glad to help with a redesign for you if you like.  Post up the maximum dimensions you have to work within and I'll make up multiple configurations and we'll see what will fit your goals the best.

I'd be glad to help with a redesign for you if you like.  Post up the maximum dimensions you have to work within and I'll make up multiple configurations and we'll see what will fit your goals the best.

Thanks Alton.  Much appreciated.  I'll take some measurements again tonight.

Measured out a few areas that would still give me quite a bit of hatch area.

First would be leaving the box on the passenger side and taking up about half the hatch area. 15.5"w x 13.5"h x 21 3/4"d.

Other would be centering the box and trying to make it shallow. 35"w x 13.5"h x 9 or 10"d

Thanks again for the help!

Give me the total space you have to work with..What vehicle and gear you are going with,and i would be glad to help.