Nocturnus

One thing I hate about installing..

Trying to figure out what to cover the amp rack and box with.  I've normally just done carpet that was the closet match for the area the install is in.  Trying to decide if I want t do something else now.

I did a couple installs in the past where I used formica on the amp rack and trim pieces with carpet and I liked the look.  Used to be able to pick up smaller sized pieces at Home Depot, but seems only full sheet now.  Can't do vinyl, tried in the past and it just doesn't work well for me.

Since all my trim will be black, I was thinking maybe white formica on the amp rack and maybe do the same on the top of the box, then make a carpeted trim pice that is cut bigger then the sub mounting area to show off some of the white formica.  Kind of sucks to get a full sheet to do that when I need so little.

Any other ideas?  I debated painting, but not really sure.  I kind of don't want the install to stand out.

20140822023130-4f78c367.jpg

Thats how I did my last quickie install in 2012.  I had a piece that covered the amps.  All looked stealthy.. Might just do it again.

Textured paint or bed liner would look good. Maybe hit up a cabinet shop and see if they have scrap formica.

Vinyl can be a bitch. Finding material with the right backing is key. That and doing the stretching on a warm day, preferably in the sunlight.

I really like the formica look. I have it on a box right now and think it looks pretty good and seems easy enough to do with rough cutting to approximate size then taking a flush trim bit and trimming excess. Thing that gets me going is how the pro cabinet makers get the seems to line up with an almost seemless edge. All my edges look like raw material as to where theirs you can't tell where it stops and starts half the time. 

As for vinyl, I have learned after working with some ebay crap that 2 way stretch with a heavy cloth backing is the only way to go to get the look most like. It is significantly more expensive too though so that's why i believe so many deal with 1 way stretch and heat it to get it the way they want it instead.

Textured paint or bed liner would look good. Maybe hit up a cabinet shop and see if they have scrap formica.

Vinyl can be a bitch. Finding material with the right backing is key. That and doing the stretching on a warm day, preferably in the sunlight.

All I use is textured paint and bed liner... I luv it!! I spend more time finishing my enclosure than the actual build install.

Yeah, I could never get seams on formica to look good.  i might have to call cabinet shops, didn't even think of that.  What kind of textured paint?  I hear that and think about stuff I did in the 90's and covered with Flekstone. Heh.  I kind of want to go with a KISS look.  I don't really need anything fancy.  Murdered out is pretty simple. 

I would recommend bedliner for textured paint. Or spackled spray paint.

Really hard to beat bed liner. I have it on my amp rack and enclosure in the Jimmy. It's super tough, can take tons of abuse and infinitely more so than paint alone ever could. It's also super easy to apply and not even expensive either.

Are there any bed liners that are not that textured?  I want a smoother finish then I have been looking at.  Friend wants me to go in with him on some herculiner.

I'm not aware of any that are textureless, but I know the Rustoleum I got from Walmart has a weaker/lesser texture than the professionally applied brands like Rhinoliner and Herculiner. The Rustoleum has just enough texture to be able to feel and see it but that's about it.

I got to thinking, it may also have to do with how it's applied. I brushed mine on both the amp rack and the enclosure. Most times it's either rolled or sprayed on.

I'll have to see.  I might just carpet.  I thoight about just primering and rattle canning, but I know thats going to be a ton of layers.

You think it's possible to do some layers of the Rustoleum liner  then go over it was a color spray paint?

If you want to paint over texture use a flat paint. No gloss, no nothing.

I'm not aware of any that are textureless, but I know the Rustoleum I got from Walmart has a weaker/lesser texture than the professionally applied brands like Rhinoliner and Herculiner. The Rustoleum has just enough texture to be able to feel and see it but that's about it.

I got to thinking, it may also have to do with how it's applied. I brushed mine on both the amp rack and the enclosure. Most times it's either rolled or sprayed on.

What grade of a brush did you use cheap or $$$.

Oh damn, the cheapest chip brushes I could find. I put it on thick and heavy, let it set up most of the way then hit it again until I got it good and thick. No brush strokes are evident afterward either and the amp rack has been suscepted to everything from firewood, tools, dogs, auto parts and other crap without any scratches, gouges or noticeable damage.

Nice.. Pricey, but nice.  I just don't know what colors I'd want.

Not a lot of color in the car.  Maybe white.  Donno.  Carpet is still cheaper. heh.

I just had an idea.

Please excuse the  ghettoness of what you are about to see. I was tired and just wanted my front stage running.

ghetto.jpg

So, i think I'm going to cut out mdf piece to fit towards the bottom of the spare tire well, then have a piece cut for that lip at the top (but only the lip area).  Then do some quick fiberglass work to get the amp rack sides.  I can move that SoundQuibed 4 channel over some, fit my PPI DSP towards the rear (where the power side of the amp is), get the SoundQubed Q1-750 mounted more towards where the LC2i is (thats going away) and get my fuse distros in.  The back ofthe 4 channel and the DSP will be under the box, but that should be a non issue.  I'd prob need to raise the top lip of the amp rack off the top of the floor just to be able to run my cables and all in.

Or i might do like one install inthe past and just carpet the hatch floor and tire well, cut MDF for the bottom of the amp rack and make a trim pieces that make a false floor.

Just need to see how far the box is going to come out from the back seat and go from there.

I also hate when I start brain storming when I need to be winding down and getting ready to sleep.