Sign in to follow this  
antoinez28

Just another newbi ?

I have 3 18" ethos and was wondering if my eyes are playing tricks on me...

1 sub is moving more than the other two...all wire the same at 1.33ohms to a taramps hd8k 1ohm version.

I took the subs out of the box today and coils look good nothing wrong with suspension. No noise coming from them all wire look good and multimeter reading are good to...

Could it be the fact of me looking over my shoulder at a angle but even when I look at them threw the back hatch it still look like it moving more air than the other two

Edited by antoinez28

I'll bet it's the center one isn't it.

Nope, not likely your imagination.  As I had mentioned when designing the enclosure for you it's possible for the sub(s) closest to the port opening to move a little funny, even unload when the other subs don't.  It's not something that can be modeled either, at least not at our level with easily to attain/afford software.  There might be some FEA or other high end software that could but I'm not even certain of that.

That's why that loading wall/brace was in there, to try to prevent that from happening.  Apparently it's either not large enough or isn't in the right spot, damnit.

No it the driver side front sub...they all sound the same when first installed and if it is the box I just need to suck it up and build a wall damn it man...

What I do wonder if it is a small box how come some people can put 6 12s in a burp box.

Edited by antoinez28

So I switch the subs to different spots and the same thing different area...I think it's the sub it just seems to be getting more power than the other two. where ever I put the sub in the box but the coil good and everything... Ohm load reads good and steady. Example i play a song on low level all subs play good. I turn it up and that's when it starts to act up.

Damn, that's odd.  I wonder if it's got a problem in the suspension.  Does the cone move by hand any easier with it than the other two?

I need to check.

When you checked the readings with a multi meter did you test the terminals of each subwoofer or just the wires coming from them?

Wires from them I going to check terminals once I get off work

It the sub...ohm on one side reads 1.3ohm other side will not read need to contact Q

Yeah man i knew it was gonna be something crazy like that. Its strange how it will read right when wired up.

Damn man, that sucks.  Though I am super glad to hear the enclosure is doing it's job correctly, or at least seemingly so.

But the coil looks good...will this be a recone I hope not I never recone nothing before

I honestly cant remember the fix for this, whether its just replacing the terminals or a full recone.

If the coil isn't burnt then more than likely it is a failure at the point where the tinsel lead attaches to the coil wire.  Unfortunately, unless you get really really lucky, a recone may well be the only course of action to repair it.

You might mess with the tinsel lead connections on the terminals first just to verify with certainty that it's not on the easier to work on connections.

If I have to recone I hope Julian can help me since he local and knows if stuff

If I have to recone I hope Julian can help me since he local and knows if stuff

Email was replied to at 1402 central time. Don't let anyone fool with it and risk losing your warranty.

I want just waiting to see what to do. This topic is over case close

Edited by antoinez28

I had one like this. Resolution was to remove dustcap, sand down the glue, re solder the connection from tinsel lead to coil lead, glue it back down, fix. 

I just sent it in thanks anyway

Glad to see Q on top of it for you.