Sign in to follow this  
Whatshisface176

SP4 Recone... FOAD leads?

A while back I burnt up the leads of my sp4 15 (and only on 2400 watts). The new FOAD leads look cool and all but after seeing a few pictures of them being torn up after daily use, I don't know how they will hold up. Maybe a psi recone would be better?    Input or advice please?

Do you have pictures you can post so I can see what you are referring to?

When it comes to recones the OEM is always your best bet.

Sounds more like user error. Psi recone being better for a Fi sub is hilarious, naw man stick with Fi for a recone.

I don't have any pictures but it's easy to find pictures on google. just search Fi foad leads

if Fi has such great recones then how come I see pictures of the new lead designs falling apart?

if Fi has such great recones then how come I see pictures of the new lead designs falling apart?

The better question might be "what are they doing to cause this?"

I guess you do make a point. Although, why would a woofer rated at 3k rms, fail at 2400 watts (in my case).     p.s. amp gains were properly set

Just because a coil is rated for 3000 rms thermally does not dictate how much power it can take under its current conditions (enclosure size, amp settings, headunit settings, etc.). Just because you see people having issues with drivers does not mean the drivers are the issue. As there are plethora of people running them without problems. Give us more background info on your setup and maybe we can help address and issues if any.

Your 2400 watt amp can be applying as much as 4800 watts of overall power to the subwoofer, at any gain setting.

When you fry leads you are applying too much power, period.  I would suggest trying to figure out what you were doing wrong in the first place.

Hope you can figure out what is off in your set up as the SP4 is an excellent sub.  It has been shown how durable these leads are and how much power they can take.

At this point it seems ironic to bitch. But, every time I come to this forum, I never get an answer. Never. It's always one smart ass after another making a statement about what "The problem in the first place was." And every pucking thread i make it's the same damn thing. I can never just ask a question and get a simple answer. Yes, car audio is a very controversial and complicated topic. Yet, sometimes people just want a simple answer. Such as my question, which recone is better.. Fi or PSi? then i get an answer and we're all pucking happy. I don't want to be criticized and questioned about "Oh look at this guy, he said his gains are set properly, I call bullshit." And it's every time, I am not an idiot, i know my shit too. You don't have to comment to make yourself look smarter, no one gives a shit. I am an 18 year old college student that doesn't have an ass ton of money to support a full blown perfect system. When my Fi sp4 blew, it burnt a hole in my wallet (that barely has money anyway). so when i ask which recone will be the best, that's all i want to know. I know why my sub blew, my box is to god damn big. it's damn near 7 cu. And that's my fault, i miscalculated when building. And i just don't have the money and time to rebuild it. So please, ease up on the statements and questioning my knowledge. sometimes this forum just doesn't help me. 

You had your answer : a Fi recone will be better than a PSI recone.  A lot of people are going to read that thread, not only you.

Stop crying like...a teenager ! Be thanksfull for the answer you got and forget it.

You don't really know what you are doing if you managed to blow a Fi sp4 on a "2400 watts" amp.

Box was too big you said ? 5.5 cu ft or 7 ?

All those members want to help you to keep your sub in good conditions. They don't want you to blow it again.

Oh know you wanna admit your at fault. You came in the thread making it seem like Fi has a problem with their subs. We dont let stuff slide in here, we ge to the point and some people cant take it. Sorry but it is what it is.

I would build a new box before buying another recone before the same thing happens months from now. Obviously your gains werent set correctly or this thread wouldnt have been started. We did help you we told you no on the PSI recone, you just didnt like the way we helped you. Good day man

fi would be better quality wise, but will take much more time. Especially if you're sending it in. Psi will have less quality, still playable, but you will have faster response time. 

so pick which one you want. 

IMG955477_zps0a6d98ff.png

IMG959278_zpsecb88eb9.png

The only two images I could find in google?

Can you please share the other images you found? 

if i could post a picture as to what happened I think it would be a little more of an assistance. i have 2 pics as to what happened with the leads. can anyone explain to me how i can get pictures uploaded on to this thread. p.s. i am sorry for acting out of character. 

if i could post a picture as to what happened I think it would be a little more of an assistance. i have 2 pics as to what happened with the leads. can anyone explain to me how i can get pictures uploaded on to this thread. p.s. i am sorry for acting out of character. 

I use photobucket and then copy the link here. 

No worries we all just want to help you the best way possible and not some simple solution that may only cost you more money down the road.

IMG955477_zps0a6d98ff.png

IMG959278_zpsecb88eb9.png

The only two images I could find in google?

Can you please share the other images you found? 

this is the main picture that discouraged me. It's why I'm kind of skeptical on getting the new recone from fi. although i'm not sure how this guy managed to do this to hid leads and i don't want to be subjective to this problem either..

Based on that picture, I would guess he was pushing the sub past the mechanical limits of the rubber coating around the leads. 

So by saying after seeing a few pictures, you literally mean only two, both from the same person, lol. Either he is the only person to have bouthen foad leads from fi, or no one else is burning them up but this guy. 

Since the foad design change, I have personally not seen another case. 

burntleads_zpsd5555dbf.jpgokay so this is my situation. one of those leads is a positive on one coil, and the other lead is a negative on the other coil. hence why it's 2 pictures

Awesome and thanks Nick, :)

okay I see how this dude messed up his foad leads now... and is there any way to fix the leads on mine or am I still going to need a whole new recone?

Sign in to follow this