Sign in to follow this  
Whatshisface176

SP4 Recone... FOAD leads?

okay I see how this dude messed up his foad leads now... and is there any way to fix the leads on mine or am I still going to need a whole new recone?

Recone. I tried "fixing" it with the Evil. Didn't work lol. 

I guess you could band aid. remove all current solder/glue, clean up, then patch it back together. 

ehh. I feel like a recone would be better. Some people have told me recones can turn out better than the original but I don't know how true that statement is.

Although what could have caused the leads on mine to separate like that??

lol. I'd assume there to be about 1300 pages worth of threads and hundreds worth of facebook post as to why. I'd avoid asking that question all together really. Just get the recone, and  you'll be set ok. 

Long story short, to answer your question directly, from the buildhouse, it's because of cheap korean amplifiers. Please, let's just leave it at that. 

Although what could have caused the leads on mine to separate like that??

My first guess would be over excursion, looks like you pushed the cone too far and it pulled out the tinsel leads where they are soldered to the coil leads.

I guess you do make a point. Although, why would a woofer rated at 3k rms, fail at 2400 watts (in my case).     p.s. amp gains were properly set

My Sp4s have been taking ~4k for over a year without a single issue. Its not the woofer...

I guess you do make a point. Although, why would a woofer rated at 3k rms, fail at 2400 watts (in my case). p.s. amp gains were properly set

My Sp4s have been taking ~4k for over a year without a single issue. Its not the woofer...
You can't rule out that his sub might have had some kind of defect just because you had been running your sp4's for a year. Edited by Stephen93s10

I guess you do make a point. Although, why would a woofer rated at 3k rms, fail at 2400 watts (in my case). p.s. amp gains were properly set

You can't rule out that his sub might have had some kind of defect just because you had been running your sp4's for a year.
Its a lot more likely that you have used/treated it improperly. Although it is possible.

Sign in to follow this