Sign in to follow this  
Impious

Xbox 360 S HDD Storage Options

We have a 4gb Xbox 360S. Bought NFS: Rivals for my son. Didn't realize until we tried to play it that it requires 2gb HDD space. It doesn't have 2gb free space and there apparently isn't an HDD installed (the slot on the right side behind the door is empty).

Do I have to buy an HDD for this game, or will a USB flash drive work? My concern is that I wasn't sure if flash memory would work with the game or if it had to store the game to an HDD? What is the best/cheapest route to make this and future games work?

If I had to buy an HDD, I think it would be better to take the damn game back and buy something else. We've had the Xbox for 3 or 4 years and this is the first time we've had an issue like this. Then again the boy has 1.4gb of space used up for freakin' Minecraft

I have a friend who had the same issue with GTA V.  A USB flash drive, or external HDD will work fine.  I gave him an old 120GB external drive I had from the good 'ol days of computer playing and he's not had one issue with it, besides a little lag from time to time.

Hoped so. Would like to be able to just grab a 16gb USB from Walmart and call it a day.

I just noticed the Minecraft comment.  My kids are consuming almost 65GB out of the 250GB HDD on theirs with Minecraft junk.  I don't know how they do it......

i love minecraft :) 

Minecrack :P

I just noticed the Minecraft comment.  My kids are consuming almost 65GB out of the 250GB HDD on theirs with Minecraft junk.  I don't know how they do it......

LOL holy crap that's a lot of Mincrafting.

Well that didn't work. I bought a 32gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide at Walmart and it still says "the game only permits installing content on the Xbox360 Hard Drive"

did you format the drive per the directions in my link?

Yes. This is on the EA website, and I've read some forum posts to the same effect;

"Need for Speed Rivals on the Xbox 360 requires an Xbox 360 Hard Drive with 3GB of storage space for a mandatory installation of game disc content. you will be prompted to perform this installation the first time time you boot up your game.

You cannot play your game without this installation, nor can it be installed on flash memory sticks, or internal flash memory--such as the internal memory of the Xbox 360 Slim, or 4GB model. Hard Drives are available and sold separately for the Xbox 360 Slim/4GB, Arcade, and Core consoles."

Guess we'll just take the game back and EA can suck a fat one for this ridiculous programming decision.

How common of an issue is this? Like I said, this is the first time in 3yrs we've had this issue. Not sure I want to spend $32 (plus wait a month on shipping) just so he can play a $20 game. Might just take it back if we can find another race game he likes for around the same price.

I bought my little brother the new Grand Theft Auto for his XBOX one or whatever not to long ago....for like $50.00 bucks...Then of course I got suckered in for another $70.00 bucks on thumb drives and stuff so he could play it,Because the maps were so big... I have not been in gaming consoles since like play station one..But I have built some hell of gaming rigs to play BF!

Can't you copy over other saved data onto the flash drive?

Yeah I have four kids, then all their friends play too. Plus we've bought most of the texture packs too. Huge elaborate buildings and underground mazes and all sorts of things I can't begin to keep up with.

Some games allow you to use external storage and some don't. I hate to hear that this one wouldn't let you.

How common of an issue is this? Like I said, this is the first time in 3yrs we've had this issue. Not sure I want to spend $32 (plus wait a month on shipping) just so he can play a $20 game. Might just take it back if we can find another race game he likes for around the same price.

in the last few years of the xbox 360's life cycle they started installing portions of the game to the drive. Large games like gta would read from the hdd to get a bit more performance from the old consoles. 

you could try moving shit to the thumb drive and then install the game to the hdd. 

Edited by lithium

Try just moving all the other saved game data you have for other games to the flash drive and install NFS on the hard drive.

I don't have a hard drive right now. I have the 4gb model, which doesn't have an HDD...it's internal memory is flash. EA won't allow the game to be saved to flash memory, thumb drive or internal. It must be an HDD, which I currently don't have.