Sign in to follow this  
Shang Tsung

Help smell coming from back, one sub doesn't work.

Ok I have a 95 Honda Civic EX, I don't have the big 3 and My alternator only pushes 70 amps, I know I know it sucks. Ok I finished installing my sound system today and am having an issue. Well I just went back out there and found out one of the subs is blown.... So that means (Second) the smell was coming from the subs????? I have 5+ ofc power and ground wires running to the amp, coul the smell be the amp too? or would it just be the subs? No I DID'NT have the gain all the way up at all, just lowpass. I did turn the gain a stich over half way.what do you guys think? Sorry, my amp is a 2000.1D Hifonics Zues and subs are 1300watt(400rms) Pioneers IDk what type. Had them wired to 2 ohms, I guess this amp is 2000 watts rms at 1 ohm. 1400 at 2 which is what I had my speakers on. Right now I only have the one speaker hooked up and turned gain down to a quarter.

Edited by DEZn00ts1

how low does your voltage drop?

Edited by Stephen93s10

how low does your voltage drop?

Well when I check my cap It has a good 14.1, lights on amp DO flash though. I just came back from another ride and (I didnt check cap when it happened)  I was playing a new ludacris song and it had heavy bass. I had it on the max volume for all music on headunit which is 45 out of 60 I think. headunit is a Pioneer DEH-X3600U Mixtrack, it can handle it but anywho, when I was playing that song for a few seconds when the bass hit I started to smell the smell again. I THINK it's the subwoofer being overpowered. To your question about voltage drops, I turned gain so low to where it doesn't make my vehicle idle funny,  obviously my alternator sucks ass but lights don't dim like when I put the gain on 65 to 70%. OH and forget about my BLOWN speaker, It blew while I had it in series with the speaker we are talking about, on another amp. I thought I blew that amp but I guess it was the secondary speaker. Anywho The are single voice coil and as of now I have only ONE hooked up at 2 ohms, low gain and when it hits hard I smell something funny. Subwoofer you think?

Edited by DEZn00ts1

Sounds to me that you fried the voice coil. You can't set gains the way you are doing it. Plus what was you subsonic filter set at.

I had the subsonic down at first, now it's at a quarter of the way. Yea the subs are too weak I figured. THe problem ISN'T my gains, I'm not as noob to just turn them the fuck up and thats that. I turned my headunit to the highest personal volume, set everything up, no bass boost. But yea I guess subsonic turns the signals the sub can't handle down, correct? Oh and yea I smelled the trunk again and it seems like it was coming from sub. High pass filter on my headunit pertains to the speakers IN the car correct? There is a setting for the subwoofer control on my headunit and I have it at 200hz, what does that sub controller do? Not much of an audible difference but I THINK the sound got a little clearer when I turned it up from 100hz.

Edit: I turn headunit all the way up, then low pass on the amp THEN I turn my gain up to a point to where it's good. I'm usually good at hearing clipping, I don't hear clipping when I am listening. Oh and as of now, the sub still smells on the Ludacris song, but my gains aren't even high enough to make "Bass" like tht, the bass is DECENT but not out of this world or where you can hear it good a block away. It's pretty low for the amp. So it must be the sub huh? I'm leaning more and more towards the subs, so I ordered two Alpine Type R SWR 12D4's, 300 to 1000 watts RMS, 3000 max. Each.

Edited by DEZn00ts1

Sounds to me you need to do alot more research before blowing more equipment. Sounds like you dont have the first clue of whats what. Your likely clipping the shit out of it. 

You should really just step back and let someone with atleast some experience set it up. I'm really not trying to be an ass but its kinda hard to even understand what you've got going on because your lack of knowledge.

What is 5+ ofc going to the amps power and ground? And how do you have that many runs with no big 3, and what kind of inputs are you running to even accept that?? Maybe you mean 5+ foot of wire, idk. 

Also you wont hear clipping in a trunk setup unless your going to a complete full clipped signal which can smoke the subs very very quickly. 

LPF or subwoofer control should be at 100hz or less. 

You likely have a ton of things that need to be done better I'm guessing

I find it hilarious that people come here claiming they know what they're doing but have blown equipment and dont know why. Buying new subs wont help your situation if you dont even know whats wrong, max ratings on subs are pointless so yeah...

Edited by jay-cee

I'm not a noob, but first...... What is this sub control thingy?

Lmao

What manufacture is the said subs and amplifier? I did not see this maybe I missed something?

What manufacture is the said subs and amplifier? I did not see this maybe I missed something?

If you read you won't miss anything, lol

I just read this and am not quite sure what to say without sounding like a dick. Lee put it pretty well in his first post. I am going to go out on a limb and say you had a pair of 12" subs, now only one in working condition. If this is accurate, a single 12 is not going to be heard "a block away" so don't try to push it that far.

You know what that smell means? Turn it down. Is is not the equipments fault that it failed, majority of car audio failure is user error or inexperience.

Lots of what you are saying is showing that you have been mislead somewhere along the way. If you are willing to actually learn, and not piss and moan when someone tells you that you are mistaken, this is going to be the best place to find the correct information. You will have to put in a little effort though, as this is not the group to spoon feed you. Most here will try to help, if you let them.

Funny the last post said piss and moan, but NO one gave an answer, only criticism. You guys are usually passive aggressive pussies, if I was talking to someone who is inexperienced I wouldn't taunt them, I would teach them. Get that wierdo shit out of here.... Oh and to the "dude" who said 5+ ofc, if you weren't such a pucking moron you would be able to act like you know car audio and just answer the pucking question, because you know what the fuck I was talking about. Anyways, If I was mislead why didn't you pucking tell me how I was mislead? Some real alpha male shit going on here. I did say what type of subs and amp they were. My other SUB view the other day while I had a different amp hooked up to it, it didn't blow because of me not knowing how to set it up (when I didn't switch my amp to the new one) it was perfectly fine and I set the gains by myself. I don't need to space my god damn sentences to make it seem like i'm smarter or wittier then someone who was obviously asking questions in his last comment. If anyone wants to help me, "decipher" what I said in the last in the last two comments(sarcasm)....  Thank you to someone who can pay attention, I never pucking acted like I knew everything, but I acted like I know what the fuck I HAVE and HAD IN my car. anyone who wants to answer can, but fuck the rest of the people who came here to bash someone because they knew their pucking gains weren't too high. I know how what the fuck my sub sounds like you dumb ass, I had those subs until the one sub blew because of WINTER! I bought the new Hiphonics amp because I thought it was my amp, but it was because I had the two Pioneers in series.... I have the new NONE shitty subs on their way, I'm getting new pucking 0 gauge wiring to run to the encased battery I got. I have to rewire my Car grounds and power (big 3) and that's about it for now, I will get the h/o alternator when I feel like it. Fuck off chumps I been setting up systems since a kid and nothing ever has happened. I have NEVER smelled a pucking burning sub because I have NEVER fucked up an install, you dickheads. I bought a used amp and was trying to figure out if it was that. I can set my gains by ear because I have unusual hearing, I can hear  clipping even at low levels, if that's hard to "believe" oh well. Amp is just too powerful for the shitty 50 dollar sub at 2 ohms.  Just because I DON'T know how to do some things doesn't mean I can't set a whole pucking system up. How retarded do people with no common sense sound. Answer the question, shit the fuck up. Oh and the sub is a SVC if those who can be respectful care. You don't talk to people like that if you don't want to fight, don't come at me aggressively unless I did first.

Edited by DEZn00ts1

:roflmao:

Funny the last post said piss and moan, but NO one gave an answer, only criticism. You guys are usually passive aggressive pussies, if I was talking to someone who is inexperienced I wouldn't taunt them, I would teach them. Get that wierdo shit out of here.... Oh and to the "dude" who said 5+ ofc, if you weren't such a pucking moron you would be able to act like you know car audio and just answer the fucking question, because you know what the fuck I was talking about. Anyways, If I was mislead why didn't you pucking tell me how I was mislead? Some real alpha male shit going on here. I did say what type of subs and amp they were. My other SUB view the other day while I had a different amp hooked up to it, it didn't blow because of me not knowing how to set it up (when I didn't switch my amp to the new one) it was perfectly fine and I set the gains by myself. I don't need to space my god damn sentences to make it seem like i'm smarter or wittier then someone who was obviously asking questions in his last comment. If anyone wants to help me, "decipher" what I said in the last in the last two comments(sarcasm)....  Thank you to someone who can pay attention, I never pucking acted like I knew everything, but I acted like I know what the fuck I HAVE and HAD IN my car. anyone who wants to answer can, but fuck the rest of the people who came here to bash someone because they knew their pucking gains weren't too high. I know how what the fuck my sub sounds like you dumb ass, I had those subs until the one sub blew because of WINTER! I bought the new Hiphonics amp because I thought it was my amp, but it was because I had the two Pioneers in series.... I have the new NONE shitty subs on their way, I'm getting new pucking 0 gauge wiring to run to the encased battery I got. I have to rewire my Car grounds and power (big 3) and that's about it for now, I will get the h/o alternator when I feel like it. Fuck off chumps I been setting up systems since a kid and nothing ever has happened. I have NEVER smelled a pucking burning sub because I have NEVER fucked up an install, you dickheads. I bought a used amp and was trying to figure out if it was that. I can set my gains by ear because I have unusual hearing, I can hear  clipping even at low levels, if that's hard to "believe" oh well. Amp is just too powerful for the shitty 50 dollar sub at 2 ohms.  Just because I DON'T know how to do some things doesn't mean I can't set a whole pucking system up. How retarded do people with no common sense sound. Answer the question, shit the fuck up. Oh and the sub is a SVC if those who can be respectful care. You don't talk to people like that if you don't want to fight, don't come at me aggressively unless I did first.

:suicide-santa:

Funny the last post said piss and moan, but NO one gave an answer, only criticism. You guys are usually passive aggressive pussies, if I was talking to someone who is inexperienced I wouldn't taunt them, I would teach them. Get that wierdo shit out of here.... Oh and to the "dude" who said 5+ ofc, if you weren't such a pucking moron you would be able to act like you know car audio and just answer the fucking question, because you know what the fuck I was talking about. Anyways, If I was mislead why didn't you pucking tell me how I was mislead? Some real alpha male shit going on here. I did say what type of subs and amp they were. My other SUB view the other day while I had a different amp hooked up to it, it didn't blow because of me not knowing how to set it up (when I didn't switch my amp to the new one) it was perfectly fine and I set the gains by myself. I don't need to space my god damn sentences to make it seem like i'm smarter or wittier then someone who was obviously asking questions in his last comment. If anyone wants to help me, "decipher" what I said in the last in the last two comments(sarcasm).... Thank you to someone who can pay attention, I never pucking acted like I knew everything, but I acted like I know what the fuck I HAVE and HAD IN my car. anyone who wants to answer can, but fuck the rest of the people who came here to bash someone because they knew their pucking gains weren't too high. I know how what the fuck my sub sounds like you dumb ass, I had those subs until the one sub blew because of WINTER! I bought the new Hiphonics amp because I thought it was my amp, but it was because I had the two Pioneers in series.... I have the new NONE shitty subs on their way, I'm getting new pucking 0 gauge wiring to run to the encased battery I got. I have to rewire my Car grounds and power (big 3) and that's about it for now, I will get the h/o alternator when I feel like it. Fuck off chumps I been setting up systems since a kid and nothing ever has happened. I have NEVER smelled a pucking burning sub because I have NEVER fucked up an install, you dickheads. I bought a used amp and was trying to figure out if it was that. I can set my gains by ear because I have unusual hearing, I can hear clipping even at low levels, if that's hard to "believe" oh well. Amp is just too powerful for the shitty 50 dollar sub at 2 ohms. Just because I DON'T know how to do some things doesn't mean I can't set a whole pucking system up. How retarded do people with no common sense sound. Answer the question, shit the fuck up. Oh and the sub is a SVC if those who can be respectful care. You don't talk to people like that if you don't want to fight, don't come at me aggressively unless I did first.

Calm down before you blow a fucking fuse, Most people on this forum are very knowledgeable when it comes to car audio, you just have to listen. Just because you think you set your shit up right doesn't mean you did.

Funny the last post said piss and moan, but NO one gave an answer, only criticism. You guys are usually passive aggressive pussies, if I was talking to someone who is inexperienced I wouldn't taunt them, I would teach them. Get that wierdo shit out of here.... Oh and to the "dude" who said 5+ ofc, if you weren't such a pucking moron you would be able to act like you know car audio and just answer the fucking question, because you know what the fuck I was talking about. Anyways, If I was mislead why didn't you pucking tell me how I was mislead? Some real alpha male shit going on here. I did say what type of subs and amp they were. My other SUB view the other day while I had a different amp hooked up to it, it didn't blow because of me not knowing how to set it up (when I didn't switch my amp to the new one) it was perfectly fine and I set the gains by myself. I don't need to space my god damn sentences to make it seem like i'm smarter or wittier then someone who was obviously asking questions in his last comment. If anyone wants to help me, "decipher" what I said in the last in the last two comments(sarcasm)....  Thank you to someone who can pay attention, I never pucking acted like I knew everything, but I acted like I know what the fuck I HAVE and HAD IN my car. anyone who wants to answer can, but fuck the rest of the people who came here to bash someone because they knew their pucking gains weren't too high. I know how what the fuck my sub sounds like you dumb ass, I had those subs until the one sub blew because of WINTER! I bought the new Hiphonics amp because I thought it was my amp, but it was because I had the two Pioneers in series.... I have the new NONE shitty subs on their way, I'm getting new pucking 0 gauge wiring to run to the encased battery I got. I have to rewire my Car grounds and power (big 3) and that's about it for now, I will get the h/o alternator when I feel like it. Fuck off chumps I been setting up systems since a kid and nothing ever has happened. I have NEVER smelled a pucking burning sub because I have NEVER fucked up an install, you dickheads. I bought a used amp and was trying to figure out if it was that. I can set my gains by ear because I have unusual hearing, I can hear  clipping even at low levels, if that's hard to "believe" oh well. Amp is just too powerful for the shitty 50 dollar sub at 2 ohms.  Just because I DON'T know how to do some things doesn't mean I can't set a whole pucking system up. How retarded do people with no common sense sound. Answer the question, shit the fuck up. Oh and the sub is a SVC if those who can be respectful care. You don't talk to people like that if you don't want to fight, don't come at me aggressively unless I did first.

I never came at you aggressively. All you just did was make yourself look even dumber. Maybe someone else can make sense of your cluster fuck, because I clearly don't have any knowledge on the subject. Good luck setting your stuff up kid. 

Funny the last post said piss and moan, but NO one gave an answer, only criticism. You guys are usually passive aggressive pussies, if I was talking to someone who is inexperienced I wouldn't taunt them, I would teach them. Get that wierdo shit out of here.... Oh and to the "dude" who said 5+ ofc, if you weren't such a pucking moron you would be able to act like you know car audio and just answer the pucking question, because you know what the fuck I was talking about. Anyways, If I was mislead why didn't you pucking tell me how I was mislead? Some real alpha male shit going on here. I did say what type of subs and amp they were. My other SUB view the other day while I had a different amp hooked up to it, it didn't blow because of me not knowing how to set it up (when I didn't switch my amp to the new one) it was perfectly fine and I set the gains by myself. I don't need to space my god damn sentences to make it seem like i'm smarter or wittier then someone who was obviously asking questions in his last comment. If anyone wants to help me, "decipher" what I said in the last in the last two comments(sarcasm)....  Thank you to someone who can pay attention, I never pucking acted like I knew everything, but I acted like I know what the fuck I HAVE and HAD IN my car. anyone who wants to answer can, but fuck the rest of the people who came here to bash someone because they knew their pucking gains weren't too high. I know how what the fuck my sub sounds like you dumb ass, I had those subs until the one sub blew because of WINTER! I bought the new Hiphonics amp because I thought it was my amp, but it was because I had the two Pioneers in series.... I have the new NONE shitty subs on their way, I'm getting new pucking 0 gauge wiring to run to the encased battery I got. I have to rewire my Car grounds and power (big 3) and that's about it for now, I will get the h/o alternator when I feel like it. Fuck off chumps I been setting up systems since a kid and nothing ever has happened. I have NEVER smelled a pucking burning sub because I have NEVER fucked up an install, you dickheads. I bought a used amp and was trying to figure out if it was that. I can set my gains by ear because I have unusual hearing, I can hear  clipping even at low levels, if that's hard to "believe" oh well. Amp is just too powerful for the shitty 50 dollar sub at 2 ohms.  Just because I DON'T know how to do some things doesn't mean I can't set a whole pucking system up. How retarded do people with no common sense sound. Answer the question, shit the fuck up. Oh and the sub is a SVC if those who can be respectful care. You don't talk to people like that if you don't want to fight, don't come at me aggressively unless I did first.

You pretty much just made my point. I don't know if I should try to clarify what I meant, as it may just get crapped on all over again. If you truly want help, you will clean up the mess you just made and compose yourself. The title of your thread does say "help" after all. Telling us what you know, and what we don't know is not going to get you anywhere.

I figured out what the problem was with my shit, My sub is rated at 220 hz and my Low pass on my amp is 250 I had it too high. Thanks to the last guy who didn't mock me. All the systems I hooked up before were little small shits, so they didn't over reach on the subs.

Edited by DEZn00ts1

Yes and you don't kick someone when their down you help, what you did was kick then extend your hand. I figured it out by myself.

Edited by DEZn00ts1

I NEVER said anything about someone NOT knowing anything. Oh and gain is ONE knob fucktards, not all of them.

Edited by DEZn00ts1

It's nice to post the whole story and what is wrong so we can help. A lot of smart people on this form.

I figured out what the problem was with my shit, My sub is rated at 220 hz and my Low pass on my amp is 250 I had it too high. Thanks to the last guy who didn't mock me. All the systems I hooked up before were little small shits, so they didn't over reach on the subs.

That did not smoke the sub. Clipping likely did, But ok

Also you would not have heard clipping or overpowering problems if you couldn't even hear that you had words coming from your subs. 

You never even mentioned what size enclosure the subs are in or what its tuned to, hell maybe its sealed. You can keep calling us names but that still wont fix your problems. If you decide you truly want help then you can start trying to give out better information.

OP is on vacation for a few days, so do not expect a response right away. He or she completely ignored a previous warning. This abusive content will not be tolerated.

That did not smoke the sub. Clipping likely did, But ok

Also you would not have heard clipping or overpowering problems if you couldn't even hear that you had words coming from your subs.

You never even mentioned what size enclosure the subs are in or what its tuned to, hell maybe its sealed. You can keep calling us names but that still wont fix your problems. If you decide you truly want help then you can start trying to give out better information.

This is exactly right, more information needs to be given. Exactly how was the amplifiers gain set? Its been said a million times: the gain knob is not a volume knob.

Oh you should understand I'm from TN too you know we don't read good down here! And I'm shocked you don't know what a sub control thingy is? lol