slim142

Replacing factory battery. BMW owners please help!

Hi

Im trying to replace my factory battery with an XS Power one. 

The one and only battery (according to the XS website) I can upgrade to is the D4800. However, I contacted them to verify this and they told me it would be recommended to make some measurements just to verify this.

I went ahead and made some approximate measurements (since I did not want to deal with removing all this wires at 11pm)

IMG_4474_zps51a6eb02.jpg

The measurements I got were the following:

Height: ~8"

Length: ~12"

Width: ~71/2

These seem to match the dimensions from the D4800. However, as you can see in the following picture, right next to the bolt there seems to be another hole (RED arrow), it appears to be an extra inch of space for the length?

IMG_4473_zpsfc470a8f.jpg

I have already contacted XS Power about this. I just want to verify, do you guys think I can fit a bigger (better) battery? Will I need a new battery plate? Is it worth taking the chance? I dont see returning a battery very appealing when it comes to shipping cost.

I know asking this is very difficult as a picture cannot really justify great judgement, but hopefully someone can help me out. Im not looking to mod the car in any way, just a direct fit. Going as far as buying a new battery plate as long as a better battery is guaranteed a direct fit.

2008 BMW 328i Sedan

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Honestly I would do it. Or you could space willing flip the battery on its side to get an even larger battery. With a bit of fabrication you can fit huge batteries in most cars. I think mine came with a group 34 upfront and I was able to make a battery tray out of aluminum and fit a huge group 31. Just comes down to your level of fabrication skills and level of comfort possibly "massaging" a larger battery in.

I am not too familiar with bmw, so take what I say here with caution.

Maybe the extra space is there for a larger battery on the larger engine options? Try checking with XS power and/or a dealer to see if there is a different battery for the larger engines.

A XS power d3100 fits right in the stock battery location in both my bmw 3 series (e36) that I used to have, and my 5 series (e39) that I currently own.

post-55067-0-06008400-1435772941_thumb.j

Take it out and measure.  It takes MAYBE 3 minutes.