How the hell do you supply 3-400v in a car setting? What kind of charging system goes with that?

Also, whoa.

You don't need a charging system for these.  We are talking battery banks here on cometition vehicles.    That's like asking how you can fit a fuel cell on a top fuel funny car large enough to make it a weekend cruiser.

You're saying, charge it in between runs, burp it, maybe a demo, then call it quits?

I'm tryna picture it lol, like, thats thirty batteries in series, just to make voltage o.o

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Great part about this is that some of these huge power making amps have built in charging on them as well. For instance, run a 400vdc side and a 12vdc side from the main alt and you can switch from the amp working off of the 400vdc to it being charged through a converter that takes 12vdc and makes it charge your 400vdc bank. Kinda neat stuff in my opinion.

Edited by nadcicle

Great part about this is that some of these huge power making amps have built in charging on them as well. For instance, run a 400vdc side and a 12vdc side from the main alt and you can switch from the amp working off of the 400vdc to it being charged through a converter that takes 12vdc and makes it charge your 400vdc bank. Kinda neat stuff in my opinion.

Sounds like it would be getting pretty big size wise.

That's nuts o.o but that is really cool :)

Like, are you on Facebook? 

Kind of creepy for  you to bring this up considering today's topic on Facebook. 

But yes, has stated, you play your system, for whatever time, then you charge it up. You can install an on board charger with an convertor. Or, you can charge at home. Or, do as the brazilians do, and plug into your local wall socket. At this point, NO charging is required. 

Fortunate for me, and many US competition events. There are open wall sockets to plug into. So charging could be done, as rare as once a month. 

In the above videos, note how they are charging their amplifer. Via Wall Socket. 

Seeing it on my wall is what piqued my curiosity lol

I know Stetson sells a 12v to 300vdc inverter that looks like a small amplifier that allows you to charge the bank from your stock 12v system.

I know Stetson sells a 12v to 300vdc inverter that looks like a small amplifier that allows you to charge the bank from your stock 12v system.

Show us because Stetsom has never showed us one that i recall.

Even Usina Spark doesn't make any yet and they are the largest provider of Fonte's in Brazil.

I've been in talks with LiFePO4 companies and Hlabs about 12v Boost converters since only the LiFePO4 community and Hydraulic community are only 2 that use them the most in vehicles.

Show us because Stetsom has never showed us one that i recall.

Even Usina Spark doesn't make any yet and they are the largest provider of Fonte's in Brazil.

I've been in talks with LiFePO4 companies and Hlabs about 12v Boost converters since only the LiFePO4 community and Hydraulic community are only 2 that use them the most in vehicles.

Actually it's soundigital

Doesn't matter, all Brazilian

I still don't see it..  

Can you still post it here?

Reason i'm curious now is Soundigital has an onboard 12v charging system built into a couple of their HV amps but only 2A trickle charge.

I'm curious if the one you are referring is the same type because that's not enough to really bring AGMs back up or really even maintain them for driving or for a show.

Their onboard charger is about 850w on their 430v model.

The other ones i've been looking at are between 1,500w-2,000w.

I use wattage since there are so many different voltage models to choose from.

I still don't see it..  

Can you still post it here?

Reason i'm curious now is Soundigital has an onboard 12v charging system built into a couple of their HV amps but only 2A trickle charge.

I'm curious if the one you are referring is the same type because that's not enough to really bring AGMs back up or really even maintain them for driving or for a show.

Their onboard charger is about 850w on their 430v model.

The other ones i've been looking at are between 1,500w-2,000w.

I use wattage since there are so many different voltage models to choose from.

Any chance you have some specs on this? The way i've always understood it would be something like replacing the ah in a 100ah would go as follows.

We will use your 2 amp method of charging a bank of 430v batteries back up to their 100ah capacity. Let's assume we have only depleted 10% of the 100% capacity and we are down to 90% charge. Then we take the 10ah missing and divide that in to (.9x2) = 5.5 hours. According to these guys running this HV equipment they swear they can run a month on said equipment without ever needing a recharge. I wouldn't call 5.5 hours forever in charging, but it is quite a while if you don't drive your car a whole lot.

Yes so it's not separate, it's part of the amplifier i was explaining earlier.

Nadcicle, exactly.. That amplifier, let's just say it was only putting out 50,000w-

30 batts at 378v assuming almost 100% efficiency is about 140A.

I bet using mids\highs they don't pull much because the impedance keeps changing rapidly unlike bass where the entire range is isolated to about 60 frequencies vs 15,000.

And in the low range, the current draw stays more averaged or controlled with bass heavy music.

With a 2A output pulling over 100A from a group 31... Not that long of play.  

Needs a LOT more juice.

Question.  wouldn't these high voltage amps pretty much eliminate you from competiting in any organization as most have a limit on voltage?

Nadcicle and I have discussed this as well.

There are some classes in MECA that allow it.

The question if they will continue to allow it in the future once these get big in the US is in question.. 

But I do not fear that outcome.  There are new leagues formed all the time including some we are a large part of.
We could always see if these new leagues will allow modern technology to be used in their leagues instead of restricting anything and everything.

What I imagine would happen is they seperate these people into their own classes.  But what fun is that further diluting classes.

I doubt it.  I've heard some classes or leagues are already limiting the amount of UltraCaps allowed in certain classes even though the caps would still be limited to 12v.

These types of unwise decisions is what deters innovation in competition.

Yah, much like HV there has already been talks of making a lead acid only class since all the caps and lith batt talk having a great advantage. A power source should be a power source no matter what way you look at it. The most generic way of limiting someone should be clamping power so that is why most organizations (if they haven't already) are switching back to clamped power from the amplifier itself.