Bass_Reflex

Advice for a new sub and amp setup

Im looking for some recommendations of sub woofers and amplifiers. im planning to do a 2 x 12'' setup for the boot of my 63 Ford Galaxie.

My aim is for it to get loud but still sound good (im pretty sure sure this is referred to as ""SQL""?)

I would like to be able to run 2 incrminator audio lethal injection subs (DVC 2 ohm) ewith an alpine pdx m12 amp for each sub at 4 ohms so that it is easier on my electrical system as I only have a 100 amp alternator (however the car has no other electrics aside from powering the spark plugs and possibly headlights at night and I have a second battery in the boot). the only problem is I am in Australia and so I cant get any incriminator audio gear or any of the other small brand gear (soundqubed, ssa, etc) and so I am limited to the major brands. I am able to get the the incriminator audio death penalty but at $550 per sub after post it costs a bit more than i would like to spend.

the best option i am able to find is 2 alpine type r 12s in a ported box with an alpine pdx m12 for each sub.

I am not locked in to the 2 x 12'' idea or the alpine pdx m12 amps so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I dont have the dimensions of my boot at the moment but i will measure it tomorrow morning.

Cheers, Bass_Reflex

Edited by Bass_Reflex

What about some american bass xfls?

Edited by ohio45113

Thanks for your input, the american bass XFL's look interesting. i can get a pair shipped to australia for $575. how reliable are these subs? because if they failed it would not be worth the cost in shipping to have them repaired. Im guessing they are worth spending $140 extra over the alpine type r's?

Thanks for your input, the american bass XFL's look interesting. i can get a pair shipped to australia for $575. how reliable are these subs? because if they failed it would not be worth the cost in shipping to have them repaired. Im guessing they are worth spending $140 extra over the alpine type r's?

I had 2 12 xfls in a 4.5 cubed box tuned to 32 hz on a audioque 2200 and they were really surprising. Got loud got low and sounded pretty good as well. I had a crap electrical system at the time. No spare batteries and a stock alt and no big 3 upgrade. I beat the crap out of them and the guy I sold them to still has them with a similar crappy electrical system. He still beats the crap out of them and they have been abused for about 2 years now. As far as type r's go. I've never personally had any but seen a few people with them and they didn't seem awful. I'm just not a huge alpine fan but that's just me.. Its a shame you can't get a SSA sub. I have a 12 inch zcon on a crescendo bc3500 right now. This single sub gets louder and lower than both those xfls did and sounds great to boot.you might also look into some fosgate t1 or t2. I had some of those and they were pretty impressive but you don't want to over power them or Clip them at all.

If I were you I'd try to find some used stuff first or see if you can find people with different sub setups so you can check them out.the worst thing you can do is watch YouTube videos. Everything looks good on video lol.

Edited by ohio45113

Im looking for some recommendations of sub woofers and amplifiers. im planning to do a 2 x 12'' setup for the boot of my 63 Ford Galaxie.

My aim is for it to get loud but still sound good (im pretty sure sure this is referred to as "SQL"?)

I would like to be able to run 2 incrminator audio lethal injection subs (DVC 2 ohm) ewith an alpine pdx m12 amp for each sub at 4 ohms so that it is easier on my electrical system as I only have a 100 amp alternator (however the car has no other electrics aside from powering the spark plugs and possibly headlights at night and I have a second battery in the boot). the only problem is I am in Australia and so I cant get any incriminator audio gear or any of the other small brand gear (soundqubed, ssa, etc) and so I am limited to the major brands. I am able to get the the incriminator audio death penalty but at $550 per sub after post it costs a bit more than i would like to spend.

the best option i am able to find is 2 alpine type r 12s in a ported box with an alpine pdx m12 for each sub.

I am not locked in to the 2 x 12'' idea or the alpine pdx m12 amps so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I dont have the dimensions of my boot at the moment but i will measure it tomorrow morning.

Cheers, Bass_Reflex

The Type Rs are good drivers and the PDX amps are great as well.  Anyone who tells you otherwise, you shouldn't listen to.

There's absolutely no reason you should spend extra money on uncommon drivers unless you want to be different.  You can find anything down there to do the same as anything else you will find.

What can you find locally ?

Anything can be shipped to you, these days !

Yeah, but shipping from other country's probably isn't cheap.

I can only find the more mainstream brands - Alpine, Pioneer, Kicker, Jl, RF, etc. I have nothing against buying from them but it just seems like you get better subs for good prices from brands like SSA.

Fore some reason places dont like to ship these smaller brands to Aus. sonic electronix would ship an alpine type r (although theres no point as I can get them in Aus anyway) but wont ship DC audio subs and shipping is $130 minimum but I have seen shipping prices of over $500 for a single sub.

It seems my best option is to buy something available locally I just wanted to see i you guys had any recommendations for any of the more mainstream gear

All those companies listed all have drivers that are comparable to any of the smaller companies you've listed. 

Of the brands you listed, if you're not wanting to drop a ton of cash, I would suggest the alpine type r. They do carry a good output vs cost ratio IMO.

Was not impressed by the type s. Of the JL stuff, I do like the W6 and W7 lines, but they cost way too much. Not fond of kicker in any way for subwoofers, but that's personal. Been a while since I heard/looked at anything RF, and pioneer, all I can find locally is their bottom of the line junk.

Just my .02 for ya.

Edited by nigel

If you can find pioneer champion pros, they have always been great for the money in my opinion.

What about Rockford Fosgate P3's?I heard a pair a while back and they sounded pretty good and aren't expensive.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I may just go with the alpine type r 12's. has anyone heard of the Nakamichi nsx 12 subwoofers? there is a used set for sale locally at the same price as a pair of new alpine type r's.