antoinez28

So help with fiberglass

So I been looking on here and reading about fiberglass and my ? Is what is every body talking about when they say they mix there fiberglass with sand...or is sand another term for something else like I say Mud when I'm mixing autozone fiberglass hardener because it looks like mud to me....main reason is I want to and a couple layers to the inside of my subwoofer box with some good fiberglass or would the stuff at Walmart or home depot be good enough....

Edited by antoinez28

I've never seen anyone mix sand.  You can use micro balloons to basically make a paste, but don't use any of this stuff for structure. 

I have many times mixed resin and body filler to create a self-leveling surface layer for a final coat before paint.   That is the only time I would use this type of mixture, or you could use it internally if you wanted to coat or seal, but it would be easier just to use resin and hardener.

Ive havent seen anyone on this forum or another forum saying they mix sand with their fiberglass, maybe you mistook the sanding process afterwards and confused yourself. There is a fiberglass forum with a plethora of information.

Edited by jay-cee

Ive havent seen anyone on this forum or another forum saying they mix sand with their fiberglass, maybe you mistook the sanding process afterwards and confused yourself. There is a fiberglass forum with a plethora of information.

I used to do fiberglass years ago for a boat company and I have never heard of this myself.

I will find it later

I found it on another site but here it is....

077a9962580f86e6b0d18ec86fe36706_zps8503

As you can see

I've seen people use sand for pure spl purposes to add strength and mass to a large piece to add rigidity and strength. But outside of that I've never heard of it being used on a box. I've seen people use the milkshake method as tirefryr was saying.

Much like Julian said one would leave a couple inch void and fill it entirely with sand to decrease in overall used wood while adding density. This sand fiberglass thing sounds bassackwards since you would normally have to sand down the surface smooth afterwards and all sand would do is create roughness to the surface. That is unless they were going for that sort of thing. I could see it adding texture close to that of bedliner when painted.

I'm looking for something that I can do to the inside of my box where I can capitalize on cubic feet and strength with out having to double mdf the top of the box with 2 layers of 3/4mdf...I would have one 3/4 mdf and 1/2 mdf used for flushing and looking to do something to the inside...I'm already going to 45 the corners and brace the middle of it....so just layering it with a couple sheets of fiberglass clothes should be good enough....

Link to that thread? Kinda wanna read more on that

It in the pic on the top

Fail on my part. Carry on.

Edited by hdrox88

Fiberglass doesnt add strength like your are thinking it will, yes it will help seal up problem areas. If you dont wanna double up on mdf then go brace crazy

All in all I will do some testing with out fiberglass and if I like it than I would fiberglass it...anybody on here talk to Alton

It in the pic on the top

Am I doing it wrong? I searched enclosures of TDH and nothing popped up titled that. That's when I asked here o.o

Thank you =)

I was curious about the razorlite panels.

They look NUTS.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Honestly going with more strength rather than focusing on a small gain in space is far more important.

I'm going to

Honestly going with more strength rather than focusing on a small gain in space is far more important.

I have 4 cubic ft to work on displacement, strength, port displacement, and bracing it.

I just want to see other options out there besides double baffle with a couple braces going across

That's all but thanks anyway...still looking for Alton

Window bracing is a great way to add strength without taking up a bunch of room

Details please

Details please

My bad all my boxes have window braces I just did not no it was call that lol

Honestly I've tried the 2x4 method, bracing method, and all sorts of different techniques but nothing beats double baffle and all thread imo. Steel pipe and welded feet come in a close second