Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Sundown Neo-SPL 2015

Hey guys,

This is a project I've been working on for a while... it's origins date back to 2009 with my unfinished 4" coil Neo design (some may remember it) :

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/19945-proto-neo-4-motor.html

I put the whole thing on hold to concentrate more on things that would really grow the company & our dealer base. That being said... fast forward 5 years now and I have the opportunity and ability to work on this again.

As far back as 2009 I knew I wanted to go after my Neo SPL design with a 4" coil -- so I did that again. This time I went for a good bit more Neo and a different / unique design :

3.JPG

So this is my first prototype / first fully completed Neo prototype. This may not be the 100% final version but I think it's close. I should have it in my hands early on in January for testing.

Few quick details that I am releasing now...

1) 4" voice coil

2) 16 slugs of N42H Neo (N48H was a large cost increase with almost no increase in flux)

3) Will be sold in 12s, 15s, and 18s

4) Pricing is TBA as I go over all the final costs of the motor... certainly not cheap; the motor itself costs about as much as 7 pcs Z v.4 motors based on my early estimates.

5) It is mated to a 10" frame in the photo for size reference; but I don't currently have plans to make them as 10s

6) Motor weight is ~70 lbs... overall external size is almost identical to a Z v.3 motor.

That is about it for now... except for a quick photo of my Neo chunks :

neo%20magnet-2.jpg

These look a little rough as they were cut into shape; when we end up doing production we'll tool the exact size/shape we end up with so they'll look perfect.

"Neohenge"

O.O whoa

:phatyo::droolcup:

Okay so I've done the math -- so far on a 15" model as that is what we'll be building first for our Terra.

MAP from an authorized dealer will be ~$2199 for a "standard" unit (any of our compatible "standard" parts can be used at this price) -- we are still pricing out composite cones, though.

One of these with a chrome basket and carbon fiber cap would be nice

Or would a different basket not work?

Okay so I've done the math -- so far on a 15" model as that is what we'll be building first for our Terra.

MAP from an authorized dealer will be ~$2199 for a "standard" unit (any of our compatible "standard" parts can be used at this price) -- we are still pricing out composite cones, though.

Purely a SPL woofer? or will the soft parts make enough of a difference to make a more flat response with emphasis on low end? just curious.

Either way, good to see a big neo motor that wont be completely shielded of all the specs like the Warden and Z.

It's meant for SPL. Same concept with DD Z or the BTL N3. It will still play music, but will not be considered as an music sub. 

this will be a killer sub. keep it up, i got 2 sundown e series 12s to try out incase i want to switch from a die hard fi guy to a sundown guy and i am overly inpressed with your work. the 12s kill it. i will forever be a fan

Sign in to follow this