a1sauce47

upgrade to hds300 12 d2 or hxfl 12 d2

I am looking to upgrade my alpine type r 12 inch subwoofers. I had came across the soundqubed HDS 300 d2 12 inch sub and had made my mind up until I heard about american bass xfl. My setup is a 4 cubic net internal volume ported at 32hz. Currently pushing 2 alpine type r with an alpine mrx 240 amp rated 1500 watt at 4ohms and 2400 watt at 2 oohm in a grand am trunk rear firing. Which would perform better with the given parameters? Can't find a whole lot on soundqubed, no box specs although the HDS 300 had really good reviews but so does the xfl. I have to electrical to supply the power for either. Which would be louder out of the hds300 or xfl? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

There is no way to say which is actually louder without testing both setups in your car. Flip a coin.

Soundqubed has a technical section on their website, look into it for whatever you need about box specs.

Sound qubed does have a tech that gives box sizes but not for specific sub's. I know the xfl has lower q's and x max and also has a bigger magnet and motor . but the HDS are rated for a little more RMS. I Was hoping someone here might have used either or both sub's and could give me a little insight. I know opinions will vary but I want a louder deeper sub than the type r.

you could play around with winisd and see how they perform against each other and with different box designs

The RMS rating has nothing to due with output, at.  If you want to know what option will be louder you need to model to get a baseline...  All that baseline will do will show you the potential difference in output between the drivers.  You won't know what the overall output will be unless you know what you cabin gain is, exactly...

I was hoping someone could just give opinion on how each one performs I'm just a daily user not competition. I just want something that's going to out do the alpines.

The opinions will be subjective and won't do you any good.  Modeling will give you an objective prediction on which will be louder...

The problem is, when someone gives a review without measurements it is useless.  It is also useless when an A/B test is done without controlled variables...  

Just want to try and get you off on the right foot... 

Seriously, modeling is the ONLY way to help with your question. If you have dimensions for a box that you are planning on using I'm sure someone could model it for ya and help you out.

My box has an internal net volume of 4^3 . port is tuned to 32 hz rear firing in the trunk of a grand am with the seats folded down. I have no idea how to test these variable that y'all are mentioning and I def. Don't have the money to buy each set of woofers to compare which ones are louder. Sq is not my goal in my setup but obviously don't want.t it to sound like crap but I guess my overall goal is more SPL. My amp will pull 2400 watts at its max and I want to use it to its full potential. Now It is wired at 4 ohms pulling 1500 watts . i know sub's in trunks don't get as loud as a hatchback.

Tbh I don't even know what modeling is so maybe give me some insight?

Modeling is computer simulation that provides you with a predicted response.  

Maybe someone on hear will run the numbers for you and give you response plots to compare.

If not, try and Google loudspeaker modeling programs and Thiele Small parameters.  This will help you get started.

Amps don't pull watts.  You can maximize your power output by keeping your subwoofer impedance as close to 2 ohms as possible, but it isn't nearly as important as having an efficiently designed enclosure...

Modeling is computer simulation that provides you with a predicted response.

Maybe someone on hear will run the numbers for you and give you response plots to compare.

If not, try and Google loudspeaker modeling programs and Thiele Small parameters. This will help you get started.

Amps don't pull watts. You can maximize your power output by keeping your subwoofer impedance as close to 2 ohms as possible, but it isn't nearly as important as having an efficiently designed enclosure...

Cool I appreciate it. Didn't even know that was possible to simulate this kind of stuff, pretty neat I'm still learning about car audio when I first started I thought it was as simple as putting a sub in a box but I've come a long way but still have a lot to learn. And I know amps don't pull watts I don't know why I put that exactly guess I got to typing to fast.

The reason I have the enclosure at 4 cube net at 32 hz is because that was what I'd been told by many different people that was the best enclosure for alpine type r but who knows everyone has different opinions. Im just not interested in getting another enclosure built or switching amps I just want to maximize with what I have .

That might be perfect for the subs you already have, I have no idea without modeling.  It is a very suitable size and tuning for many subwoofers...  Since the box is already built, that parameter is chosen.  So now is where modeling all your other choices (and the Type Rs you already have) will tell you the differences you can expect...

I am pleased with the type r I have but I was fairly new to all this when I bought them so I chose the 4ohm dvc and am wired to 4ohms giving it a 1500 watt load so they are underpowered. I didn't know whati was doing at the time and was afraid I would fry them if I got the 2 ohm dvc which would be over powering them by 200 watts but now I just want to get the maximum output from my amp since it is really expensive. The alpine mrx m240 has gone way up in price since I bought it I have considered getting new 2 ohm type r but I want to try something different. I reside in the middle of no where and not many folks out here have systems although there is a audio store but the dude like recommends power akoustik mofos and those aren't the greatest in my opinion. as far as this modeling goes I will sure do my research I appreciate the feedback.When i do make my decision. On what I get I'll be sure to post the results after the break in. Maybe I can help someone else out in my similar situation.

I am pleased with the type r I have but I was fairly new to all this when I bought them so I chose the 4ohm dvc and am wired to 4ohms giving it a 1500 watt load so they are underpowered. I didn't know whati was doing at the time and was afraid I would fry them if I got the 2 ohm dvc which would be over powering them by 200 watts but now I just want to get the maximum output from my amp since it is really expensive. The alpine mrx m240 has gone way up in price since I bought it I have considered getting new 2 ohm type r but I want to try something different. I reside in the middle of no where and not many folks out here have systems although there is a audio store but the dude like recommends power akoustik mofos and those aren't the greatest in my opinion. as far as this modeling goes I will sure do my research I appreciate the feedback.When i do make my decision. On what I get I'll be sure to post the results after the break in. Maybe I can help someone else out in my similar situation.

What is the rms power rating on those subs?

There is no such thing as under powering a sub.

If you have a amp that puts out only 200 watts rms above the subs rating you can adjust the gain to not over power them.

You have a lot to learn about car stereo !

Edited by pmureika

Type R's are 500rms but a couple years back my friend ran a pair of twelves at one ohm on an AQ2200.1 and they took it quite nicely. Pretty sturdy woofers :)

They were in a smaller ported enclosure, so take that into account.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

If you have a amp that puts out only 200 watts rms above the subs rating you can adjust the gain to not over power them.

Well yeh actually you can under power them . considering they are rated for 1000 RMS and they are only getting 750 a piece I'm pretty sure that's underpowering. And yes I have a lot to learn that's why I'm asking questions on an audio forum

Well yeh actually you can under power them . considering they are rated for 1000 RMS and they are only getting 750 a piece I'm pretty sure that's underpowering. And yes I have a lot to learn that's why I'm asking questions on an audio forum

By there is no such thing as underpowering he means it doesn't matter to the woofer, and for example, use a larger box and you won't need as much power to do the same as you would in a smaller enclosure.

RMS is just thermal rating, not a "this is required to make it work" rating

:)

Are you trying to make your system louder?

Yes. That is my goal. It gets loud but not as loud as I would like. I'm not running my amp at its full potential so I need 2 2ohm dvc sub's to do that. Not interested in competing just a daily setup.

Yes. That is my goal. It gets loud but not as loud as I would like. I'm not running my amp at its full potential so I need 2 2ohm dvc sub's to do that. Not interested in competing just a daily setup.

The 250 watts rms would not make a audible difference that you could hear.

I am aware of that I just wanted some recommendation for some sub's that are better than type r without spending a fortune . wouldn't getting 2 quality sub's that are rated for a 2400 watt load be louder than my current 1500 watt setup?

Everything I've read into suggests if I want to be more loud I need more power. Is there something I'm missing. I'm not trying to become an expert in subwoofers .

I am aware of that I just wanted some recommendation for some sub's that are better than type r without spending a fortune . wouldn't getting 2 quality sub's that are rated for a 2400 watt load be louder than my current 1500 watt setup?

To the human ear probably no.

Modeling the subs for that box would tell you more.