tysonm

JL W7 AE Question

I found a used JL W7 AE 12" single 3 ohm sub for sale locally and the seller said that it doesn't have the clamp rings which can be found on Ebay for $50. He also said that it has a small scuff on the rubber which I couldn't see in the low quality pics he provided. I have never owned any JL subs.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it very hard to install the clamp rings?
2. Is $275 a good price for it?
3. I have a Cadence ZRS-8 amp which is rated at 50 rms @ 4ohm, 750rms @ 2ohm, 1500 rms @ 1 ohm. Will this sub work with my amp?

I found a used JL W7 AE 12" single 3 ohm sub for sale locally and the seller said that it doesn't have the clamp rings which can be found on Ebay for $50. He also said that it has a small scuff on the rubber which I couldn't see in the low quality pics he provided. I have never owned any JL subs.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it very hard to install the clamp rings?

2. Is $275 a good price for it?

3. I have a Cadence ZRS-8 amp which is rated at 50 rms @ 4ohm, 750rms @ 2ohm, 1500 rms @ 1 ohm. Will this sub work with my amp?

I would not  never recommend buying a used sub..As you never know what abuse it has seen for $275.00 you could get a brand spanking new woofer at the SSA store..

take a look in person,  have them hook it up and listen to it,  check the dc resistance on the coils, etc. 

I already have 2-12" SSA Icons but I am waiting to use those in the next vehicle I get since I don't have the trunk space for them right now. I'm not scared to buy a used sub since every sub that I've owned, except my Icons, have been used when I bought them. 

take a look in person,  have them hook it up and listen to it,  check the dc resistance on the coils, etc. 

I will check that when if I end up going to look at them. 

I guess I should clarify my $275 for it. I told him I would trade my 2-12" Memphis Audio PR's (500 RMS Total) in a dual ported box plus $130 cash. That would be a fair trade, don't you think?

I guess I should clarify my $275 for it. I told him I would trade my 2-12" Memphis Audio PR's (500 RMS Total) in a dual ported box plus $130 cash. That would be a fair trade, don't you think?

Why not just use one of your Icons?

Because, in order for it to hit hard it would dim my lights and I didn't want to kill my alternator and the W7 is less RMS, but if it also dims my lights as well then I know I can sell it for the same price if not more. I don't want to spend money on upgrading my alternator and battery since I plan on selling my car this year.

Edited by Crash

I've had several W7s and loved every one.  I would pay that if it had the ring, but I would be wary. 

Like has been said, check it out in person. 

No reason not to buy used.  Great deals can be had.  Just make sure you do your homework and check over the driver.  It's just like buying any other used thing in your life.

Because, in order for it to hit hard it would dim my lights and I didn't want to kill my alternator and the W7 is less RMS, but if it also dims my lights as well then I know I can sell it for the same price if not more. I don't want to spend money on upgrading my alternator and battery since I plan on selling my car this year.

you should probably take a step back and address the issues with your current install rather than waste money. 

I've had several W7s and loved every one.  I would pay that if it had the ring, but I would be wary. 

Like has been said, check it out in person. 

No reason not to buy used.  Great deals can be had.  Just make sure you do your homework and check over the driver.  It's just like buying any other used thing in your life.

True..But like a used tire spend 1/2 to 3/4 of the money that you did when you could have bought a new one for a tad more.

The RMS ratings have nothing, I mean nothing, to do with anything in this thread.  At all. Period.  Seriously.  Don't mention it again...

That is a good deal for a W7 if all works out like it should.  They are very well engineered drivers and are very good performing.

If there is any shady parts, I would walk away.  There is nothing wrong with buying a used a sub, you just have to be sure you know what you are looking at.

BTW, the RMS ratings have nothing to do with anything.

The RMS ratings have nothing, I mean nothing, to do with anything in this thread.  At all. Period.  Seriously.  Don't mention it again...

That is a good deal for a W7 if all works out like it should.  They are very well engineered drivers and are very good performing.

If there is any shady parts, I would walk away.  There is nothing wrong with buying a used a sub, you just have to be sure you know what you are looking at.

Maybe you would like to post this on your site so they could be more than 2 sections to search...Never buy a used sub!

Maybe you would like to post this on your site so they could be more than 2 sections to search...Never buy a used sub!

really? many people buy and trade used drivers on this site and others, if OP is aware of the risks than who cares. you've made your point by now i think. 

I've read somewhere that people where actually getting fake w7's from an internet site that i probably shouldn't mention. you might want to check the serial number, (ask him to tell you what it is, it's on the magnet), and make sure it's legitimate. you can comtact jl audio to find out, they have pretty good customer service, and fast too. as far as the ring goes, you need that to attach the surround so how the hell would that get lost? he might be saying that just so he don't have to play it for you. make sure to push in on the cone to make sure there's no coil misalignment, along with everyone elses suggestions. if it's all legit then it's not a bad deal for a $900 sub.

That was uncalled for. Take a chill pill. 

W7's are decent subs. I would be very hesitant to buy a used one because most people who have them think they can take a lot of power because they paid so much money for them. therefore most used ones you see are beat up pretty bad. I've had a couple pairs of them and in no way shape or for would I pay retail for them. Both sets of mine were used but we're in perfect working order and we'll taken care of. The price for the one you are looking at is fair but I would be weary of that missing ring.