Paul Ernstzen

octagon and hexagon ports

Hi all,has anyone built these ports and where can i get the formula to calculate the area and cutting angles please

They are simply used for cosmetic reasons, there is no performance increase whatsoever.  In fact, they may decrease vent efficiency due to non-linear airflow behavior. 

If you must use one, just Google geometric area and angle formulas. 

They are simply used for cosmetic reasons, there is no performance increase whatsoever.  In fact, they may decrease vent efficiency due to non-linear airflow behavior. 

If you must use one, just Google geometric area and angle formulas. 

The op asked for advise for the ports....stay on topic if you can't help somebody can...

Hi,ok thanks,was wondering as i have seen quite a few guys using tgem and thought they would be better and more rigid for spl etc

Hi,ok thanks,was wondering as i have seen quite a few guys using tgem and thought they would be better and more rigid for spl etc

Air velocity was more the factor than "cosmetics" and less port noise VIA "more port area" with the octagon ports..

I hear you, a lot of guys use them because they don't really understand how air behaves at resonance.  But like I said, simple Google search will give you area and angles.

I hear you, a lot of guys use them because they don't really understand how air behaves at resonance.  But like I said, simple Google search will give you area and angles.

No disrespect brother...But I studied this field for years..

ummm shit posting is meant for the hop. 

ummm shit posting is meant for the hop. 

Ummm I am out of hear I am tired of getting disrespected by a few of ya'll and criticized on every post I make..Way to run people off..congrads

Then give arguments that are based on facts and can be checked. (maybe even provide a source while you're at it.)

How are Octogonal ports ever going to give more port area that the same size circle, not to mention a square port.

2vkyf0z.jpg

EDIT: yes, I actually made this in paint.

Edited by kirill007

Then give arguments that are based on facts and can be checked. (maybe even provide a source while you're at it.)

How are Octogonal ports ever going to give more port area that the same size circle, not to mention a square port.

2vkyf0z.jpg

That is a pic of surface comparison .. Volume I guess that would depend on the desired frequency as you have to figure in the Length of the port walls as well.Correct?

2vkyf0z.jpg

That is a pic of surface comparison .. Volume I guess that would depend on the desired frequency as you have to figure in the Length of the port walls as well.Correct?

I'm confused. You were just talking about port area and now you're talking about port volume.

To the op, like 95Honda said there really isn't any benefit to using them over a standard port, but if you want it for the look that's another thing. If you're tight on port area / chasing every little bit of output for competing than look into flared aero ports like psp precision.

Air velocity was more the factor than "cosmetics" and less port noise VIA "more port area" with the octagon ports..

Port area is what you said.

Well maybe I should have said volume tongue.png  You know what I was getting atbiggrin.png

Smaller the volume faster air travels..Larger volume slower the velocity is what I was getting at.

Well maybe I should have said volume tongue.png  You know what I was getting atbiggrin.png

Smaller the volume faster air travels..Larger volume slower the velocity is what I was getting at.

air speed is related to the cross sectional area not volume. 

air speed is related to the cross sectional area not volume. 

No No read up... the distance has to be calculated as well "for example" for you total..If you would like I could snap you a pic of my degrees in this field.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/AirVelocityIntroduction.cfm

"For example" Moving air  from "point a" 100ft to achieve the same CFM at "point b" at the end, You have to reduce the volume/area to keep your desired speed. larger volumes for longer distances loses speed And IMO would create less unwanted noise..

I don't believe that holds any merit in the situation of enclosures. If you read any book on loudspeaker enclosure design they will show that port speed is a function of: power, tuning frequency, area of port, Fs, Vas, Qes of the driver(s). There is no relationship to enclosure volume.

If you had an enclosure that was 100ft long than perhaps you're right, but in the instance of normal enclosures no one relies on enclosure volume when calculating port speed.

Edited by ssh

I don't believe that holds any merit in the situation of enclosures. If you read any book on loudspeaker enclosure design they will show that port speed is a function of: power, tuning frequency, area of port, Fs, Vas, Qes of the driver(s). There is no relationship to enclosure volume.

The speed of air does effect unwanted noise....More port volume slower the speed so that does not mean less port noise?

The speed of air does effect unwanted noise....More port volume slower the speed so that does not mean less port noise?

think of it like using a larger gauge wire (more current), larger port area results in lower air velocity. 

Edited by lithium

think of it like using a larger gauge wire (more current), larger port area results in lower air velocity. 

That results in less unwanted noise.correct?

larger area -> lower port air velocity -> less air turbulence/chuffing

larger area -> lower port air velocity -> less air turbulence/chuffing

Ok.. so are you agreeing with me or not..Lol

you realize volume and area are different things right?

you realize volume and area are different things right?

Uh yes I am very aware of that..loltongue.png