Sign in to follow this  
tysonm

Build a box or sell my sub?

I Currently have 2 12" Memphis Audio PR's in a dual ported box powered by a Cadence ZRS-8 with stock electrical. The system is in a 2011 Mazda 3 Sedan.

I have been wanting to play around with new subs and I got a crazy good deal on a single 12" Kicker CVR CompVR Series sub with a sealed box that fits two 12" subs with their own chamber. When I ask this question, keep in mind that I want to keep my stock electrical. I am trying to find either a single or two subs that will get pretty loud off stock electrical. I want something that will get loud and I'm leaning more towards SPL. Should I build a custom box for the single 12" or should I sell the sub and the box and use that money to get another sub and build an enclosure for it?

I don't know the measurements of my trunk at the moment, but the box in there now, is roughly 15" tall, 33" wide, and 23" deep and I would like to stay around those same dimensions, but I would consider going slightly larger. The height is pretty much as big as I can go and the width is maybe 4" from hitting both sides of my trunk.

If you are going for loud, ported will be the way to go. What's wrong with your current setup? What about it don't you like? A good pair of 12" subs in an even better box can certainly shake things up.

Loud is subjective so whats loud to you wont be to me. But like posted above if you want more output ported is the way to go. Usually more cone area gets your more output but a single higher power sub can have its advantages as well.

Have you at least done the big 3 wiring under the hood?

If you are going for loud, ported will be the way to go. What's wrong with your current setup? What about it don't you like? A good pair of 12" subs in an even better box can certainly shake things up.

I like my current setup, but I just wanted to try doing more of a SPL setup to see if I like it better.

Loud is subjective so whats loud to you wont be to me. But like posted above if you want more output ported is the way to go. Usually more cone area gets your more output but a single higher power sub can have its advantages as well.

Have you at least done the big 3 wiring under the hood?

When I say loud, I mean that I want it to move air inside the cabin and shake up my car lol. I don't have the big 3, everything is stock. If this is cheap to do, then I wouldn't mind trying to do it (since I've never done it). cheap = under $20

The big 3 isn't expensive to do,what vehicle is this in?

Yeah the big 3 will help with voltage and is a must for any system especially on stock electrical. Yes it is cheap, all you need is wire and terminals.

1. Ground wire from battery to bolt on strut tower or frame which ever you prefer.

2. Ground wire from battery to engine block or bolt on alternators casing.

3. Power wire from battery to charging stud/post on alternator.

I would at least do the first two for now and dont remove any factory wires just add them. Get some 1/0 welding cable will be cheaper than traditional car audio 1/0 wire.

Edited by jay-cee

Yeah the big 3 will help with voltage and is a must for any system especially on stock electrical. Yes it is cheap, all you need is wire and terminals.

1. Ground wire from battery to bolt on strut tower or frame which ever you prefer.

2. Ground wire from battery to engine block or bolt on alternators casing.

3. Power wire from battery to charging stud/post on alternator.

I would at least do the first two for now and dont remove any factory wires just add them. Get some 1/0 welding cable will be cheaper than traditional car audio 1/0 wire.

I will do try and do all three. Thank you so much for saying "dont remove any factory wires just add them" I would have removed them haha. 

After I do the Big Three. It sounds like everyone is recommending me to keep the 2-12" Memphis Audio PR's. If I keep them, what type of enclosure should I build? I have access to a C&C machine so things should go pretty slick for building an enclosure.

I cant find too much info on these subs on memphis's website. Try emailing them and asking them what is the recommend area they suggest for your subs. Also ask them for T/S Specs or Parameters so somebody here can help model an enclosure for you and your goals.

techsupport@memphiscaraudio.com

I cant find too much info on these subs on memphis's website. Try emailing them and asking them what is the recommend area they suggest for your subs. Also ask them for T/S Specs or Parameters so somebody here can help model an enclosure for you and your goals.

techsupport@memphiscaraudio.com

I just e-mailed them asking for optimal box spec and t/s parameters. I'll let you know when I hear back from them. . Hopefully they have quick customer service.

I just got an e-mail back from Memphis Audio and they wanted me to send them pics of my subs. That way they can send me the exact parameters of the subs.

I decided I would give you all the information that I could, about my current enclosure, which might help in the new build. I made a sketch of the measurements in PowerPoint, but it says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file". If you know of another way that I can upload the Powerpoint drawing, please let me know and I will upload it, or I can just send the measurements to your e-mail.

Here is a pic of the enclosure, first is the left side of the box. 2nd pic is the right side of the box.

post-11597-0-54373200-1421097777_thumb.j

post-11597-0-01990300-1421098071_thumb.j

The enclosure dimensions are 32-1/8" wide, 15-1/16" tall, 15" deep.

The port is 12-11/16" wide, 12-5/16" long (from front to back) and around 12-1/2" long from side to side.

On the inside the port distance from the wall in the center of the box (since each sub has its own chamber) is 3-1/8"

From port inside wall to the wall in the center of the box is 12-1/2"

Edited by Crash

Save the powerpoint as a Jpeg and then upload that...

I finally received the T/S Parameters.

Sealed: 2.5 cu ft

Ported: 3.8 cu ft with 12.5" x 2.5" port 19" long

Impedance: 4 + 4
Resonant Frequency: 35

Vas: 1.91

Moving Mass: 121.38

Xmax: 0.352

Xmech: 0.53

Mechanical Q: 5.85 

Electrical Q: 1.2

Total Q: 1.1