Brandon McCullough

Are HDC4 18s good for low end?

I really like lows and good sound....im looking for 2 good 18s to be powered by a taramps 8k...my temp box is tuned to 34-35 about 11 cubes. Im between the hdc4s, sp4s, fi team, dss ethos...

No the HDC4 are not good for low end. I've heard people putting them in low tuned enclosures and not liking the result as much as other subs. Go with any other sub u mentioned preferably sp4 as they will take the power staying relatively cost effective

if it was between the sp4 and team id wanna just go fi team and do it right only if they like low end as much as sp4s would

Edited by dangitsb

Teams would probably be better on ~4k for low end. Don't be afraid to tune low either.

All of the answers you get will be subjective unless A/B tests were done under controlled conditions...  Model your driver choices in the enlosure you already have and compare the response curves...

You guys got any experience with a hdc4? I just picked up a 15

You guys got any experience with a hdc4? I just picked up a 15

I had the sdc 2.5 15s in D4,had my back deck bouncein 3inchs in my crown vic. 3.6 cubic feet per sub tune at 38hz. On a 1200d wired at 2ohm. HDC should kill your vehicle nicely.

My hdc315s get incredibly low. I'm tuned to 32hz and hit 149.9 db at 29 hz with 2 q2200s strapped at 2 ohms. They'll play all the way down to 20. I'm sure they would take 4k fine but I don't know about in a daily application.

Awesome I was L searching for guys with HDC experience. Check this..... I built a box. 4.8 after displacement and used a 8" sonotube tuned to 38hz. It sounded good but on some quick kick drum notes it would make a hollow noise! I don't know if it's because of the high tuning or what.

Well the amps I'm using is a 1200.1 strapped at 2ohm. I narrowed it to the amp. My lpf was set to like 12 o'clock. Idk of that's normal or what, but if I tune it to 9oclock, where I normally tune it, the output is low. Idk if that's how Sq amps are, could you shed some light.

But I'm rebuilding my box, to a slot port 4.5 cuft tuned to 36 with 19" port area. It's going directly on my backseat of my challenger. Sub and port forward. My previous box was port firing sideways behind driver side and port forward behind passenger.

My hdc315s get incredibly low. I'm tuned to 32hz and hit 149.9 db at 29 hz with 2 q2200s strapped at 2 ohms. They'll play all the way down to 20. I'm sure they would take 4k fine but I don't know about in a daily application.

That's awesome. What kind of vehicle

The HDC4's will get low. I know my opinion will be biased but I have sat in plenty of cars and seen plenty of test that prove that they will get low and loud. Get a nice sized enclosure and tune it correctly and you'll be set!

What do you recommend tuning for the hdc4 15? I made a 4.2 cuft slot port tuned to 36hz with 18" port area. I'm just waiting on my taramps to come in.