Sign in to follow this  
Nubster

Ruined? Hole in sub surround...

I pulled the box out of my hatch today to find that there's a hole in the surround. Not sure if it was ripped out or rubbed though from having stuff against the sub while playing. I was wondering if it could be repaired by me or would I have to send it in for repair, in which 

case

it wouldn't be worth it since shipped and repair cost would be more than the $100 shipped I paid for the sub. Good excuse to move up to a 10" I guess...if I can't make the repair myself.

subwooferdamage_zpsa26e67b5.jpg

Prosound White Surround Dampener works really well fixing those

Sorry to hear. Got a small hole in my icon 12. Screwdriver tip :(

D7602517-00CC-47FF-9B6D-EE97BFC8F6D5.jpg

Edited by smashedz28

I pulled the box out of my hatch today to find that there's a hole in the surround. Not sure if it was ripped out or rubbed though from having stuff against the sub while playing. I was wondering if it could be repaired by me or would I have to send it in for repair, in which case it wouldn't be worth it since shipped and repair cost would be more than the $100 shipped I paid for the sub. Good excuse to move up to a 10" I guess...if I can't make the repair myself.

subwooferdamage_zpsa26e67b5.jpg

I can see damage to the speaker also. So figure out what caused it before you try to repair it. It looks like it was hitting something.

I use black RTV silicone to patch holes like this. Doesn't have to be black, but that's the least noticeable.

The damage to the actual speaker is just on the surface...just a scuff. Looks worse in the picture. The woofer was in the back of a Subaru Crosstrek which has a very small cargo area. So it is 99% likely that the damage is from having things against the woofer while it was playing. I don't think it was a one time event that cause it but it might have been...something fell on it or something. The woofer has actually been unhooked since Christmas and I don't know how long the damage has been there. I haven't been driving the car much since November. My wife has. I've been driving the truck. Anyways, I pulled the system out of the Crosstrek yesterday because we traded it in on an Outback and that's when I noticed it. I guess I'll try the RTV and see how that works. The hole isn't all the way through so it seems it just needs patched to keep it from getting worse. I guess I'll see what happens....worse case I'll have to get a new subwoofer in which case I'll go bigger. This one is just an 8" Sundown Audio E8. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Nubster

personally I would use the White Surround Dampener , it dries clear and stretches

with the surround

silicone will work but it looks like ass , to stiff and it shrinks when it starts to dry out after time

Edited by Thumpper

Rtv silocone stays soft and flexable when dried. Is easy to shape. If you want it real smooth looking use wax paper after you apply but before dry. Then romove the wax paper after dried.

the only caution I would give is stay away from anything with acetone in it

(some rubber cements)  it will turn a foam surround into mush...a very trajic ending....LOL