heftybone

i need help choosing my sub/amp

The class Ds will sound different, but all the other factors in the signal chain will have drastically more effect on the perceived sound quality, assuming the amp isn't being driven into hard clipping.  Where you will hear big differences between amps is when they run out of gas and start clipping... 

No prob on the info, that is why we are here.

....and that is why Mike is on the TechTeam. ;)

JBL BPX 2200.1 if you can find one, 2k+ @ 4ohms.

Class A/B

JBL BPX 2200.1 if you can find one, 2k+ @ 4ohms.

Class A/B

well that sounds good. except for the "if i can find one" part. is it that they're old and not made anymore, or are they so prestigious that they're just hard to come by in stock?

and mike seems to be very knowledgeable, so that team is lucky to have him. i really appreciate his wisdom. i can't say it enough!

somethin else that crossed my mind today, i haven't seen any class a/b mono amps in my searching, so do they make them? i assume that jbl that was spoke of is mono so how come all these amps that are heavy hitters are class d? is it cheaper to make? or just more efficient or what?

They used to make a lot of them, until class D (and Tripath for a while) became so cheap and reliable...

MTX and a few others still make them (last time I looked), but they are rarely over 1000 watts due to cost vs. class D...

They used to make a lot of them, until class D (and Tripath for a while) became so cheap and reliable...

MTX and a few others still make them (last time I looked), but they are rarely over 1000 watts due to cost vs. class D...

Didn't  old school memphis have A few of these?...I know a while ago I snatched a belle and a couple of there old school products of Ebay for a good deal..I know one did over 2k @ 2ohms and the other was like 1.5k @ 4ohms....Can't recall the model numbers off hand..I will look on some old drives for pics..I think I should still have them and they were beast for A/B's .. I might be wrong but I could swear they were A/B's

michael

I reallllllly want to find an A3000Gti for when I get a Trident.

Might even crumble and get a 2200.1 for the btl. Seen a few for sale on Facebook.

I would take a serious look at those new SYNERGY amps that are on this website.

Even the US Acoustics amps are nice and have a two year warranty.

I would check out there websites and even talk to them about their products. 

Edited by pmureika

I would take a serious look at those new SYNERGY amps that are on this website.

Even the US Acoustics amps are nice and have a two year warranty.

I would check out there websites and even talk to them about their products.

i was actually checkin that out the other day, but it's only like 800watts @/2ohms, so that keep kinda blows it for me. I'm tryin to stay around 1000watts @ 2ohms.

I'm considering now the crescendo, but i don't like the way it looks on the inside. i know you'll never see it, but i just like to think that i got somethin with some man guts! ya know?

the us acoustics mike is only like 800watts @ 2ohms too, or less, so that's out. i like the ampere audio, that's definitely a contender. but so far, as far as guts go, the sundown is the best by far. it has a fan, and a bunch of transformers, but very little amount of caps. the ampere has a bunch of caps and a few transformers, so that's why that is stickin out.

i know that the amount of these components don't always matter, but like i said, i just like to know that there's some cool shit goin on in there! I'm funny that way. most of my purchase is based on the initial wow factor of the looks. the other .001% is based on specs!

joke there, people.

i do like to feel some excitement when i look at it though, kinda like a car. you can get similar performance out of a camaro, but the mustang just looks better, so you buy that one.

you guys are great though, and thanks for everything so far. it's really helped and taught me alot.

Edited by heftybone

wait, you said take a look at THOSE synergys, i only seen one. is there somethin I'm missin there?

200w difference isn't audible, not to mention those amps will do more than rated anyway.

200w difference isn't audible, not to mention those amps will do more than rated anyway.

yeah, i didn't think of them bein underrated. but still, 200watts is a whole other amp worth of power! and considerin the sundown is underrated as well, then that's still a better deal.

unless their clarity or frequency response or whatever is drastically different, i would still be drawn to the higher power units. i believe the us acoustics mike is rated with some low thd, but as the honda guy said, thd isn't really significant in a class d. unless i misunderstood him anyway. but still, i would think that one that advertises .01% would be more clear than one thats .1% at higher volumes. but i can't remember, I've been doin so much research on this build that i just can't remember everything!

i still think 200watts is a significant difference, perhaps not audible, but feelable! do you not agree?

i still don't know man. all of those amps look good, and i just want one that's gonna be clean and powerful and reliable. and i want around 1000 @ 2ohms now so when i upgrade my electrical in the future i can push the full rating @ 1ohm.

I'm stuck with the soundqubed hdc4 sub mainly because of the looks, but it's none too shabby on the specs either. i want to do it justice in the future without needing another amp. just an electrical upgrade. like high output alternator, more batteries, etc...

and i know that even a 2000watt @ 1ohm isn't going to give it everything it can handle, it'll be a nice upgrade until the next purchase of a higher power amp down the line.

see, I'm tryin to spend my money wisely, so i can do it right now and then. without skimpin on anything now either. it's hard, brother. if i didn't have to upgrade my front/rear sound stage, then it wouldn't be too hard now. but i want some sound quality and i need to be able to hear the music at high volume.

yes i am 40 years old, but i can still blast my music right? and with clarity!

Taramps... Mind blown. I had a sundown saz1500v3. When I upgraded I bought a taramps 3k. It's 1/2 the size of the sundown and I have no doubt it does rated power.

Just to make it even harder on you... Sorry man

Taramps... Mind blown. I had a sundown saz1500v3. When I upgraded I bought a taramps 3k. It's 1/2 the size of the sundown and I have no doubt it does rated power.

Just to make it even harder on you... Sorry man

that's cool man, i love to have options. unfortunately it's pickin one of those options that's the problem!

I've heard of taramps somewhere, I'm gonna look em up and see what's good. thanks though, man.

Hopefully you can read Portuguese. It's a Brazilian company. Send shizzzon a pm. He can answer any questions you may have.

wait, you said take a look at THOSE synergys, i only seen one. is there somethin I'm missin there?

I believe these are the other Synergy amps he was referring to.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/63219-wfo-251-release/

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/63254-wfo-351-release/

dude, definitely likin that 25.1, and a damn good price too. i replied asking when they are gonna ship. i may have overlooked it because that was some pretty guts. i really liked that one.

damn, i forgot to see if it had high-quality rca's. I'll only buy an amp if it's got the screw-type rca's. i know I'm picky, but that's just somethin else i look for in an amp. it shows quality.

dude, definitely likin that 25.1, and a damn good price too. i replied asking when they are gonna ship. i may have overlooked it because that was some pretty guts. i really liked that one.

damn, i forgot to see if it had high-quality rca's. I'll only buy an amp if it's got the screw-type rca's. i know I'm picky, but that's just somethin else i look for in an amp. it shows quality.

If you want screw type rca's then you will be limited on what go will get for your amp. I like them to but I have used many that don't 

use them and have had good luck so far.

The Synergy Audio amplifiers will incorporate tiffany style RCA's on all models going forward. Along with metal pots for gain, crossover, etc for adjustment.

Taramps looks promising I might pick up the 3k to see what it does

yeah, i might have to wait for that synergy. it's definitely very nice. when do you plan on them shipping? and what kind of discount are we talkin about here? also, do i have to pay in full to get the preorder, or is it gonna be a 10% down kinda thing?

another thing, gmail said your email address in that link was no good. you can pm me with the info if you like.

i checked out the taramps, and seen some bandas and some pures while i was at it. the taramps and bandas where nice, but damn small. and the innerds that i saw wasn't that impressive. the pure on the other hand was giant and the guts where amazing. if i don't go with the synergy, then i think the pure has my vote.

one thing that's odd to me is the fact that both the taramps and bandas had options for 1ohm and 2ohm units. does that mean that they'll only do 1 or 2 ohms, or what?

also don't get me wrong, the taramps where phenomenal units to do that much power in such a small package. as long as they do rated, which i think they do or at least close.

Edited by heftybone

Ya that's what I like about the taramps. It comes in 1ohm or 2 ohm. So instead of Korean amps where you get the most out of it at 1ohm. I can buy a taramps 2ohm version and get the most out of it at 2ohms. It works for my application. I have a single hdc415. So 3k at 2 ohms will do.

yeah, i might have to wait for that synergy. it's definitely very nice. when do you plan on them shipping? and what kind of discount are we talkin about here? also, do i have to pay in full to get the preorder, or is it gonna be a 10% down kinda thing?

another thing, gmail said your email address in that link was no good. you can pm me with the info if you like.

i checked out the taramps, and seen some bandas and some pures while i was at it. the taramps and bandas where nice, but damn small. and the innerds that i saw wasn't that impressive. the pure on the other hand was giant and the guts where amazing. if i don't go with the synergy, then i think the pure has my vote.

one thing that's odd to me is the fact that both the taramps and bandas had options for 1ohm and 2ohm units. does that mean that they'll only do 1 or 2 ohms, or what?

also don't get me wrong, the taramps where phenomenal units to do that much power in such a small package. as long as they do rated, which i think they do or at least close.

He fixed the link so you can email him now.

The taramps gear uses a different "high effenciency" technology. Is it really? I have no idea. I picked it based on the small footprint. It had to fit in the spare tire well, because between the box and battery, I have very little room left.

All I know is I can go full tilt for hours without the amp getting more than warm to the touch. I personally like how I can give someone a walk through of my setup, then scare the hell out of them. It really does impress.

The taramps gear uses a different "high effenciency" technology. Is it really? I have no idea. I picked it based on the small footprint. It had to fit in the spare tire well, because between the box and battery, I have very little room left.

All I know is I can go full tilt for hours without the amp getting more than warm to the touch. I personally like how I can give someone a walk through of my setup, then scare the hell out of them. It really does impress.

Don't you find the cooling fan to be loud?