Sign in to follow this  
Brandon McCullough

Fi, AA, SSA coil readings

Do i need to pay attention to the fact they are 0.7 and 1.4 coils or can I rely on them being dual 1 or dual 2 when hooked up to an amp? box rise i dont think about as im not competing or burping just a daily setup...

That is the DCR rating, not the impedance.

There is no such thing as "box rise", only an impedance curve as it both rises and falls...  You can model or measure to see what load your amp sees.  The DCR has little to do with the overall load, the enclosure plays the major role....

If you model your enclosure and look at the impedance plot you will see what you amplifier will see and know if you will be too low...

i was just reading a comment on youtube from fi saying once the subs are hooked up they will not go below 1 ohm so i might can get away with this without worrying

7ohms is well within industry standard unless you have a junk amplifier. D2 in parallel is still 1ohm. You need a 1ohm amplifier..it will work fine. Unless it is a Crossfire amp..those things do not like anything under 1ohm DCR. There is a HUGE difference between DCR and Impedance. Once you put a single watt onto the coil it will NEVER be below 1ohm.

Edited by dangitsb

Kind of...  They will possibly (very likely) go below one ohm at one point, but it is very narrow in bandwidth...  You need to know where if you are truly worried about smoking your amp...

At the point where reactance is null, the sub (system) impedance will be almost DCR, plus whatever series resistance the wiring you have is.  You will see this point when you model...

I would caution use of Youtube as a technical reference...

I too use brazilian. You should be fine. 

^^ me too. 2 12" 1 ohm final load. However, as with any amp make sure the electrical is up to par and you will be fine.