Sign in to follow this  
Zagnotoft

How can I hit lower notes?

Just to start things off, I haven't really done much research and I'm completely new to this forum, so I'm sure I'm repeating a previously stated question. 

Anyway, I'm new to the car audio game and I want to hit lower notes. I have a Sundown X12 on an Orion CB3200.1D. It's in a box that I can give you just about zero information on because I have no information on it. I had a local company just build me a decent box that would get the job done. I somewhat understand that bigger box = lower frequency, or something like that, but how can I hit lower notes without changing the box? Is there anything I can do with positioning of the box (I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, btw), or anything I can do with my amp to be able to hit lower notes? I can currently go down to 35ish Hz, but after that it just gets pretty quiet. I understand that the human ear is less sensitive with lower frequencies, but I can hardly feel anything less than 33 Hz. Is there anyway I can get down to the lower 30's/higher 20's?

Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking your time to read!

Just to start things off, I haven't really done much research and I'm completely new to this forum, so I'm sure I'm repeating a previously stated question. 

Anyway, I'm new to the car audio game and I want to hit lower notes. I have a Sundown X12 on an Orion CB3200.1D. It's in a box that I can give you just about zero information on because I have no information on it. I had a local company just build me a decent box that would get the job done. I somewhat understand that bigger box = lower frequency, or something like that, but how can I hit lower notes without changing the box? Is there anything I can do with positioning of the box (I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, btw), or anything I can do with my amp to be able to hit lower notes? I can currently go down to 35ish Hz, but after that it just gets pretty quiet. I understand that the human ear is less sensitive with lower frequencies, but I can hardly feel anything less than 33 Hz. Is there anyway I can get down to the lower 30's/higher 20's?

Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking your time to read!

What do yo have the subsonic filter setting at?

Kinda hard to recommend anything without having specs on the enclosure. 

Best thing I can recommend is to build a custom box designed to perform how you want. 

Edited by bassahaulic

Honestly I would look into getting a new amplifier. And maybe get the specs for your box from whoever built it for you,and maybe we will be able to help more..

Telling him to adjust his subsonic without knowing what his box is tuned to is asking for trouble.

However, if you can take measurements of the box, width, height, depth, and port dimensions, including length, and area, we can probably help you figure out if that's a safe option. Can't hurt seeing as it doesn't cost a cent :)

Telling him to adjust his subsonic without knowing what his box is tuned to is asking for trouble.

However, if you can take measurements of the box, width, height, depth, and port dimensions, including length, and area, we can probably help you figure out if that's a safe option. Can't hurt seeing as it doesn't cost a cent smile.png

I asked what it was set at? Not to adjust.. There is only two settings...smile.png

even if you had limited power you should still have some low end

I would definitely start with the box , sounds like it is tuned to high

Edited by Thumpper

even if you had limited power you should still have some low end

I would definitely start with the box , sounds like it is tuned to high

Agreed!...Box first, then invest in a new amplifier the setting "tweaking" for that model is limited...

Thanks for all of the speedy responses! I'll definitely check out the box dimensions and get back to you tomorrow. 

I really appreciate the information!

However, if you can take measurements of the box, width, height, depth, and port dimensions, including length, and area, we can probably help you figure out if that's a safe option. Can't hurt seeing as it doesn't cost a cent smile.png

I asked what it was set at? Not to adjust.. There is only two settings...smile.png

Just being safe lol. I get greedy for the low notes myself, and have beaten up several woofers trying to chase a lower note :D

Pics of the amps settings and the box, as well as how it is installed will help more than just dimensions.

J

Dimensions of the box are 27" length, 20" height, 16.5" depth, and the port is 14.5" x 3". (Sorry if I'm measuring stuff incorrectly)

Also, here are a couple of very low res pictures with horrible lighting, and it's freezing outside so I was shaking lol. And yes, I know I need to clean up my wiring and mount my amps. I just haven't gotten around to it.

cJx8TB0.jpg

85Zxhhw.jpg

c36OlHH.jpg

U2qNfTT.jpg

I haven't really changed anything but the gain because I don't know what they do and I don't know what's good and bad for my system. Which is another reason why I'm here.

Edited by Zagnotoft

You've come to the right place to learn =)

I see your sub sonic filter is on a factory setting of 25hz.....

with the slope your probably loosing all the punch below 30hz

turn it off...that pretty much filters out all the low slows

I would lower the LPF a bit...get all the voices and upper

bass out of the way and concentrate the power on the lower stuff

I would also lay the box on it's side and rear fire it

see how that does

Edited by Thumpper

after a 2nd look at the pic of your amp I noticed the bass boost does not have a variable frequency

I bet it is a boost pre set in the 40-45hz area .... if this is turned up to high your sub will crap out on the higher

frequencies before you ever get a chance to get enough power down lower

I would turn it right down to start

Alright, tried everything you said. I turned off the sub sonic filter, turned down the bass boost, and lowered the LPF. Doing that actually made a pretty large improvement! I was pretty happy with that and I thank you very much for helping me.

I also tried putting the box on its side and facing it towards the rear. Seemed to make it quieter, for some reason. I also tried facing it towards me with my second row seats down and it was quieter as well. So I put it back facing up which is still the loudest so far. But other than that, everything worked well!

And since I'm here, I've recently sold a few old computers I had lying around and made a few bucks off of them. If I choose to spend it on my stereo, would you recommend buying a second X12 or should I sell my current X12 and get something like a ZV4 or NSV3 and a nicer amp? I don't really plan on spending money on my stereo currently because I'm okay with where it's at, but just in case I want to, I wouldn't mind some suggestions.

Edited by Zagnotoft

Alright, tried everything you said. I turned off the sub sonic filter, turned down the bass boost, and lowered the LPF. Doing that actually made a pretty large improvement! I was pretty happy with that and I thank you very much for helping me.

I also tried putting the box on its side and facing it towards the rear. Seemed to make it quieter, for some reason. I also tried facing it towards me with my second row seats down and it was quieter as well. So I put it back facing up which is still the loudest so far. But other than that, everything worked well!

And since I'm here, I've recently sold a few old computers I had lying around and made a few bucks off of them. If I choose to spend it on my stereo, would you recommend buying a second X12 or should I sell my current X12 and get something like a ZV4 or NSV3 and a nicer amp? I don't really plan on spending money on my stereo currently because I'm okay with where it's at, but just in case I want to, I wouldn't mind some suggestions.

Budget you have to spend?

Probably like $500. It's not much, but it could get me a second sub. If I sell my X12, I'd have like $800 to spend.

Single eighteen is double the area without needing double the power. That'll help dig low

If he tuned lower

Sign in to follow this