So I am tired of having multiple thumb drives and wanted to used and external hard drive. before I go buy one and download a bunch of music will this work?

I have a 80prs and a WD passport external hard drive. I'd be willing to give it a try to see if it worked and report back. Though, there are some pretty large capacity flash drives out there now. Can't imagine needing 500gb-1tb just for music.

Most external hard drives are actual HDD with moving parts that probably wont do well with vibration in a vehicle, let alone a high powered stereo.

I put about 16gb of only music on my 1tb drive. I tried with and without folders and I get "error 23" on the hu. Not sure if there might be more to do in order to get it to work, but my quick test didn't work at all.

from what I have read some have more power requirments that a single usb will supple. some recommended a usb y. Really appreciate the test though. thanks.

I got the 80PRS , nice head unit

I was disappointed with the capabilities of the remote compared to the older models I have owned though

I think the drive has to be "FAT 32" format, not "NTFS".

I also remember reading, when researching my p99rs, that there is max size the head unit will recognise.

What size thumb drive are you using?

I have a 64 GB nad have room to spare using WMA format.

If you go with a hard drive go with an SSD, a standard HD with platters may not last long (as stated above).

Good luck.

Edited by cobra93

The drive HAS to be a "portable" version ... meaning it will have to be a "low power" model only requiring the max 5ma output of a USB port to power up and be usable. I believe the USB SSD drives and all flash drives will work. I will try my 128gb flash drive ... I'll let you guys know tomorrow... I would definitely stay away from standard portable drives (spindle/platter) just for durability reasons. Never know when you'll hit that hard bump or note ... 

*interested in this info as well. I thought about using my Samsung tablet.

The drive HAS to be a "portable" version ... meaning it will have to be a "low power" model only requiring the max 500ma output of a USB port to power up and be usable. I believe the USB SSD drives and all flash drives will work. I will try my 128gb flash drive ... I'll let you guys know tomorrow... I would definitely stay away from standard portable drives (spindle/platter) just for durability reasons. Never know when you'll hit that hard bump or note ... 

Fixed.

I have a 80prs and a WD passport external hard drive. I'd be willing to give it a try to see if it worked and report back. Though, there are some pretty large capacity flash drives out there now. Can't imagine needing 500gb-1tb just for music.

I need more than 500gb even with compressed mp3's.

If you go to a HDD you will need one with an external power supply as USB will not power them up.

It worked fine w/ my 128GB flash drive .... it is fat 32

BUT I think where you'll run into issues is the folder/file limitation