Sign in to follow this  
austinporter

sealed off trunk help

i have an FI sp4 15 in a 2007 nissan altima and recently i tried moving my box around to fire forward like a sealed off trunk. I put it as close to the cab as i could and put pillows and sheets all around the box stuffing it as well as i could, and it wasnt as loud (sounding) as firing it towards the trunk. i then folded my back seats closed and put my box in the cab on the seats so that it was completely sealed off from the trunk ( i have a small box and plan on getting a bigger better one) i tested it out and it was even quieter, like a lot quieter, it had less pressure on the ears, less airflow and everything.

Ive talked to people and they say sealing off the trunk sounds way louder but when i have tried doing the same its not even close. What am i doing wrong?

It's a different kind of sound than the boom you're used to firing off the trunk. In my friends cougar it didn't feel as loud, but it sounded much cleaner and this was only with a pair of kicker comp 12's sealed in 4 cubes on 300w.

i have an FI sp4 15 in a 2007 nissan altima and recently i tried moving my box around to fire forward like a sealed off trunk. I put it as close to the cab as i could and put pillows and sheets all around the box stuffing it as well as i could, and it wasnt as loud (sounding) as firing it towards the trunk. i then folded my back seats closed and put my box in the cab on the seats so that it was completely sealed off from the trunk ( i have a small box and plan on getting a bigger better one) i tested it out and it was even quieter, like a lot quieter, it had less pressure on the ears, less airflow and everything.

Ive talked to people and they say sealing off the trunk sounds way louder but when i have tried doing the same its not even close. What am i doing wrong?

IT does sound much cleaner but it sounds so much quieter i dont think its even worth it.

I personally fire forward into the cabin. Just so I can hear if I'm pushing it too hard.

The trunk adds a pseudo bandpass effect, likely boosting what feels quieter now.

What's your box tuned to?

The trunk adds a pseudo bandpass effect, likely boosting what feels quieter now.

What's your box tuned to?

the dude that made it said it was tuned to 30hz but I don't think it is. 30hz isn't that loud and it hardly plays anything under it. I did a bass test and the loudest sounding note was around 40hz

How tall is your box? I have 2 12's sealed from trunk in my 2003 altima and it sounds awesome. I can float paper with the windows cracked half way. Anyways, I'm at the limit to fit my 12's up to the backseat. I don't think a 15 can fit up to the backseat. So I'm guessing that your box is like 10" away from the back seat. Maybe you're losing some bass because it's not completely sealed.

Mines is 34"w x14" h x 24"d. And I put wood on both sides cut to the contour of the trunk. Then I attached that to the box. And up top I stuffed a pillow and some shirts

How tall is your box? I have 2 12's sealed from trunk in my 2003 altima and it sounds awesome. I can float paper with the windows cracked half way. Anyways, I'm at the limit to fit my 12's up to the backseat. I don't think a 15 can fit up to the backseat. So I'm guessing that your box is like 10" away from the back seat. Maybe you're losing some bass because it's not completely sealed.

Mines is 34"w x14" h x 24"d. And I put wood on both sides cut to the contour of the trunk. Then I attached that to the box. And up top I stuffed a pillow and some shirts

well see that's the thing. I thought I just sealed off the trunk badly so I closed the back seats up and put the box on the seats and it got even quieter! I think a lot of the reason I'm losing spl and airflow is because my box and port are pretty small in comparison to those guys. And I don't know the size I would have to measure later and tell you

Ya that would make a difference. I had a small port to reach the tuning I wanted then I found out about port area and did the adjustments and it made a big difference.

IMAG0442_zpsiptwxnff.jpg

My old box

IMAG0450_zpsjsxlczxn.jpg

In the car