Sign in to follow this  
ManzKea

Aloha everyone

What's up. I'm Mana, just figured I'd introduce myself. I been a long time bass head, but always observing and obsorbing any and all information I can get. I drive a Dodge challenger and dropped a system in it.

Just picked up an hdc4 made a box but idk isn't what I'm expecting. It's Loud don't get me wrong but it doesn't quite fulfill everything I was hoping for. Could be the box, idk. That's why I'm here, to hopefully get some info on it. It sounds hollow, idk if it's bottoming out, because I'd play songs with a different sub and box and it wouldn't make that sound.

The amps I'm using is 2 soundqubed 1200.1 strapped. In a birch wood made 4.15 cuft after all displacement tuned to 38hz with an 8" sonotube Aero port. Subs forward, port to the side. The whole length of the back seat.

I wanna get this resolved before I wrap my box lol.

Welcome to SSA :)

38hz is actually a pretty high tuning. When does your woofer makes that hollow sound?

Welcome to the greatest audio forum on earth!!

What size subwoofer is this? Did you model the sub in winisd or a similar program? Do you know where the subsonic filter is set? What other processing are you using in the signal path to the sub? Did you have the last port and sub orientated the same in the car? Did you change anything else other than the sub/box from the last setup?

What island are you on?

:WELCOME:

Welcome

Welcome to SSA :)

38hz is actually a pretty high tuning. When does your woofer makes that hollow sound?

Well I got the info from ami customs on one of the forums he said the tuning for these subs should be in the 35-40hz. And idk all the info I gathered says soundqubed subs like to be tuned higher and still goes low.

If you heard the song "all about the money" by ti ft young thug. It does it on the last bass note that. Idk what frequency that is

Welcome to the greatest audio forum on earth!!

What size subwoofer is this? Did you model the sub in winisd or a similar program? Do you know where the subsonic filter is set? What other processing are you using in the signal path to the sub? Did you have the last port and sub orientated the same in the car? Did you change anything else other than the sub/box from the last setup?

What island are you on?

What up man, glad to be apart of the forums. I'm on the island of Oahu. It's an hdc4 15. Dual 1 ohms wired to 2ohms powered by 2 sq1200.1 strapped. My subsonic is set to 9 o'clock on the amp. And my lpf is set to 12oclock. Soundqubed recommend setting it to 100hz-125hz. So that should be in the area

It's only the DVD deck and amp no signal processors. And I just did the math and to find the internal volume and used 12volt. Com to find out the length of my Aero port. I didn't use any softwares.

It's sub forward Aero port to the side. The box is 48.5" long so sub behind passenger and port firing to the right side of my car. It's 13.75" long so it's far away from the sub. My box is the width of the backseat so it's real close to the side panels. Idk if that plays a HUGE factor.

Precious sub was a 15zv3 dual 1ohm. Slot port. Sub and port forward. 3.5 after displacement tuned to 33hz. It sounded good. Didn't make the noises I'm experiencing buy event that sub it didn't impress me. So I was thinking the amps was the problem so I was gonna upgrade my amp soon. But now that this sub is sounding weird I don't want upgrade my amps to only make the sound worse. I wanna fix the box first before moving forward

BTW I used an Aero port tuned to 32hz also, and idk I honestly prefer the 38hz more. I was surprised also, I like to tune low too but people said these subs like high tuning.

Don't get me wrong, it moved lots of air but I didn't have a wide range

That last note is pretty low, I'd say thats the woofer getting beat up below tuning. Hence the weaker sound. I'm tuned several hz lower than you and I'm still reaching a bit for that note.

If the higher tuning is what sounds and feels better, what I think the next step is is evaluating the box itself, placement and port placement; maybe more surface area could bring you what you're after.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Actually sorry I may have mis informed you guys. By last not, I'm talking bout that last sound after that low note. Like a kick sound. It goes through out the whole song. Hope it makes sense. If anything, it's the very first note after that intro part

The low notes sounds good but it's just that part. Like someone drumming on a bucket throughout the song lol.

You got an hdc4?

And idk I was lead to believe that Aero don't need as much surface area as a slot and with all the calculations an 8" port is pretty high in the surface area. I was thinking maybe too much? So I'm gonna get a 6" pvc after work and try that at 36hz

IMAG1102_zpslnh9j4au.jpg

Here's the box. Sub forward port to the side

I have a Fi BTL 18d2, fully loaded.

Low punches, or kicks can sound empty like that below tuning . I think it's something to do with not enough holdind it back at the end of its stroke so it weakens the sound if that makes sense. I've found that I prefer a much lower tuning, and a strong midbass setup to make up for the woofer's lack of dexterity in that region.

You've come to the right place to learn some stuff =)

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Ok ya that definitely makes sense. Because all the other notes sounds fine, except for bass notes like that. Isn't kicks a higher hz? But I'm gonna try a 6" pvc pipe. Tuned a little lower. Do you think the change in Port area should make a positive change

WELCOME.gif  Glad your here!!!

Thanks for the welcome

Depends on the note in question :P

Haha. Well I'm headed home. So I'll get back to you guys tomorrow.

BTW do you think the port being up against the side of my car could cause I'll effects on the sound?

I would say port and woofer on a common face is best for trunk cars.

The box is in my backseat. And I was thinking that but it would be similar because of my seat....

But I did the pvc. It sounds good. Still has that noise I was talking bout. I tuned to 33hz this time. I'm gonna run it like this then cut off a little. Do you think polyfill will help?

Found the problem lol lpf was set a little too high

Glad you got it fixed :)

Are you sticking with the smaller port?

Also, polyfill doesn't work the same as it would in a sealed enclosure as in a ported box; I'm not really technically knowledgeable but there are a few threads on the board that could explain why

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Glad to hear it was something simple! Always love it when it works out like that.

Maybe you could help out and give your opinion of the Soundqubed to another member thats interested in one.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/63247-i-need-help-choosing-my-subamp/page-5#entry1095984

Alright guys.... I did not solve the problem. Idk if it's the box or the amp. The Sq amp lpf was set to a lil less than 1'0clock. I turned it down to say 9oclock like a normal amp, that noise goes away but now the sub isn't as loud like before. So I turn it up to 12oclock and its louder but still has that noise, so I backed to 11 and its fine hear with minimum noise.

But