heftybone

building bandpass for 15, need some advice.

I'm considering the soundqubed hdc4 15.

I'm not sure what order this is, or anything like that as i am a complete noob to building a box to specs.

I've built more than a hundred enclosures in my life, but never one to exact measurements. they've always sounded good. in fact, I've had people ask how many 15's i had, when it was just 1 12. I've blown 2-12's & 2-15's out of the water with just 1 12 on multiple occasions. different boxes, cars, subs, etc...

now onto my question. i plan on making the top of the enclosure 6" away from the sub. of course the port is going to be around 4x8 or 10 but i was wondering if 6" is enough room for that sub.

the enclosure is 40x18x16 without the bandpass, so I've around 5 cubic feet when it's all said and done. i just need to know if 6" is far enough away to let the sub breath adequately. of course the length/width is 40x18 respectively.

i tried to edit that post, but i couldn't.

but anyway, forget it i changed the design.

I've built more than a hundred enclosures in my life, but never one to exact measurements. they've always sounded good. in fact, I've had people ask how many 15's i had, when it was just 1 12. I've blown 2-12's & 2-15's out of the water with just 1 12 on multiple occasions. different boxes, cars, subs, etc...

Congratulations on one of the most idiotic statements I've read on SSA. Only made worse by adding that you are thinking BP. Horrible idea.

Congratulations on one of the most idiotic statements I've read on SSA. Only made worse by adding that you are thinking BP. Horrible idea.

what exactly makes that an idiotic statement?

and what's wrong with a bandpass enclosure?

please share with me your knowledge, oh great one, for i am humbled in your wisdom. every bandpass box I've ever built has sounded good and hit hard, so what's the problem with them?

and you came close to callin me an idiot, in fact that comment is borderline insulting, so please refrain from any negative comments like that. please, thank you.

please share with me your knowledge, oh great one, for i am humbled in your wisdom. every bandpass box I've ever built has sounded good and hit hard, so what's the problem with them?

and you came close to callin me an idiot, in fact that comment is borderline insulting, so please refrain from any negative comments like that. please, thank you.

You need to think about what you said on box sizes.

Because a properly sized box makes the sub sound good.

Not just sticking it in any size box and it's going to sound great.

Are you looking for spl or a sq build?

Edited by pmureika

Get out your feelings, saying a statement is idiotic in no way means you're an idiot. But if the shoe fits then wear it.

I'v built lots of bandpass 

a Band Pass box = blown woofer

I have seen more woofers get SMOKED in bandpass enclosures ...... by the time you get that

hot smell or a floating haze in the car it's too late..... she's done.....

I'll stick to my twisted bass reflex designs , at least you can hear when the woofer is being stressed

Are you sure the HDC4 likes those kind of enclosures ? I hope so, for you.

I don't understand why so much people wants to try 4th order bandpass enclosures. Maybe someone could explain it to me !

OP : why don't you want a "regular" ported box ? No bashing here, it's only for my knowledge.

Are you sure the HDC4 likes those kind of enclosures ? I hope so, for you.

I don't understand why so much people wants to try 4th order bandpass enclosures. Maybe someone could explain it to me !

OP : why don't you want a "regular" ported box ? No bashing here, it's only for my knowledge.

A band pass can be loud for certain things like spl.  But you can't hear distortion when tuning them. That is why they get loud and blow subs, because they get to much power given to them. 

It's like Thumpper said = blown woofer.

Edited by pmureika

i was gonna give it a try, but decided against it because i got to thinkin about heat build up. so now I'm just gonna throw it in my 5 cubic foot enclosure and call it a day.

when i said i built boxes not to spec, i just meant that they where more guesstimates then exactly measured and calculated. they where always within range of what the speaker called for.

and if one makes a statement that is deemed idiotic, would that not mean that the person would be an idiot that made the statement? or has einstein made idiotic statements?

and i wanted a bandpass because i seen what i can do with a low powered 12, so i figured I'd try with a 15, but like i said, I'm gonna have alot of power so i got to thinkin about heat build up and i know that aint good. so i changed my design, as my second post stated.

now I've also changed my sub, to the fi sp4 15, which they say is good in a sealed enclosure, but I'm worried about heat there too. anyone know anything about that. I've always liked the sound of a sealed box, so I'm considerin it.

Edited by heftybone

Horrible logic dude but nice try, I guess the shoe does fit :P:

Edited by jay-cee

Horrible logic dude but nice try, I guess the shoe does fit :P:

fuck you, man. what's the horrible logic?

this place was cool as shit, but now it's turnin into smd! i bet some of you arsehos go there too though, don't ya?

i really don't see why you guys are callin me an idiot because of an idea. is it because you don't have ideas of your own so you just pay people to hook your shit up? i like to experiment and play with my toys, if it's wrong then I'd just do it again until it's right.

some of you guys really need to get a life, experience it for what it's worth and stop bein a clone that just takes what's handed to ya. I'd love for you fucks to be a prick to my face, but you wouldn't cuz you're just keyboard warriors. arsehos, leave me alone and get outta my thread!

:suicide-santa: haha, somebody has sand where it doesnt belong.

If you still dont understand nobody called you idiot then thats on you buddy. Once again an idiotic statement does not mean your are an idiot but if you wanna believe thay then hey i cant help that. I will say it to your face too, so chill out acting like your billy badass. Im not even gonna entertain the rest because your getting emotional and dont have time to deal with a grown man and his emotions. Plus i actually tried to get you to understand you weren't being called an idiot but obviously that went over your head like everything else.

you tried to get me to understand by sayin the shoe fits? that doesn't really make sense. and i aint tryin to be william badass, I'm just sayin nobody acts like that in real life, yes, saying the internet and it's forums are a fantasy world.

I'm not gettin emotional, i just want to know what's idiotic about my statements. and instead of saying that "x is idiotic", you just say the shoe fits. so i have to assume that there's nothing really idiotic, and you guys just feel like bein dicks to somebody.

alot of people build bandpass boxes. I've been building sub enclosures since i was 14 and puttin em on my bike along with a hu, battery and 2 5" coax, with crossovers and a jensen amp. so yeah, that was idiotic, but it was fun and a learning experience, just like everything else in life.

so i want to put a 15" high powered sub in a bandpass box. what is wrong with that? i see shit on youtube all the time where people have a bunch of subs in bandpass boxes. but I'm an idiot when i want to do it?

or is it because i said i never made one to specs? i said before that it was just not exactly calculated, and I've never had a bad sounding, non-hitting sub. even from some pyramid super pros.

anf i still don't get how you can say that one makes an idiotic comment, but they're not am idiot. just the comment was, but not you. ok. thanks for clarifying and i assure you that won't be the last idiotic comment that comes frome my fingers.

and you still haven't said what the horrible logic is.

Edited by heftybone

it seems that i jumped the gun, amd assumed the worse from my fellow forum members, i apologize to everyone for me bein an ass. it's just there's alot of people that like to be arseho's and i assumed that you guys where them.

it was very early in the morning when i read that reply, and clearly i didn't fully comprehend the meaning behind those statements.

i would like to ask that we put this misunderstanding behind us, as i appreciate the wisdom and experience of the members here. please accept my apology, and know from now on i will wait until I'm fully awake before i read and respond to anything!

thank you. also, if i make idiotic statements, i will take full credit for the idiocy behind them!

A ported box response fluctuates a ton with little differences in port length, box size, and port width. A bandpass box even more. Not measuring is crazy. Stating that for a sealed is way better, but you are leaving a TON on the table if you aren't somewhat precise. 4th order BP boxes give you only ONE benefit and that is you can remotely mount the sub/box and manifold the bass into the listening space. Pretty much every other use for one is a net negative and only hurts the response of the sub.

A ported box response fluctuates a ton with little differences in port length, box size, and port width. A bandpass box even more. Not measuring is crazy. Stating that for a sealed is way better, but you are leaving a TON on the table if you aren't somewhat precise. 4th order BP boxes give you only ONE benefit and that is you can remotely mount the sub/box and manifold the bass into the listening space. Pretty much every other use for one is a net negative and only hurts the response of the sub.

Aren't band pass enclosures hard to adjust the gain, because you can't hear the distortion?

There are a ton of negatives, almost no positives.

for the record, most of the boxes throughout my life where sealed (the rest where some sort of bandpass). and when i say i didn't measure, it was more like didn't calculate exact air space. i never took into account speaker/support displacement or the fact that this speaker might like 2.5 cubes, etc... rather, i just built to what fit in the car, or what i wanted at the time. they where always around whatever the speaker called for, which was usually 1-2.5 cubes. as most of them back then (we're talkin late 80's early 90's), where usually either pyramids or jl audio. always 12" though, as I've always liked the sound of a 12, especially a jl with a precision power pushin it. man, that was a killer sound, that just can't be matched. even with a jl amp today. there's nothin like it.

an i have to add, I've never blown a sub or had distortion. even though they where never spec'd, they always sounded good and hit hard (and I've been in vehicles with 8-18's and what not, so I'm not a noob to slammin bass!). and I've built alot of crazy boxes, that went around seats, or did all kinds of different angles, another example of not really measuring (in my mind anyway), but more just experimenting.

but I'm older now, so I'm doin it right, and to specs. although i am stretchin the port a little. i just want to see what a longer port will do, as I've never built a ported enclosure. and never really liked them because the ones I've heard where usually full of muddy distortion. but I'm once more experimenting, but this time the air space will be exactly what the sub calls for. i figure if i do that then it shouldn't be muddy/distorted, right?

and what about a longer port? I'm assuming it should give me deeper and more sustained bass notes. is this accurate, or am i screwin it up? if i do screw it up, i have it set-up so i can take the port length that I'm adding out, and have the right length of port, without having to rebuild the box. I'm also making it in such a way that if i don't like it ported, I'll be able to remove that and make it sealed without having to rebuild it completely. i love to experiment!

Edited by heftybone

you tried to get me to understand by sayin the shoe fits? that doesn't really make sense. and i aint tryin to be william badass, I'm just sayin nobody acts like that in real life, yes, saying the internet and it's forums are a fantasy world.

I'm not gettin emotional, i just want to know what's idiotic about my statements. and instead of saying that "x is idiotic", you just say the shoe fits. so i have to assume that there's nothing really idiotic, and you guys just feel like bein dicks to somebody.

alot of people build bandpass boxes. I've been building sub enclosures since i was 14 and puttin em on my bike along with a hu, battery and 2 5" coax, with crossovers and a jensen amp. so yeah, that was idiotic, but it was fun and a learning experience, just like everything else in life.

so i want to put a 15" high powered sub in a bandpass box. what is wrong with that? i see shit on youtube all the time where people have a bunch of subs in bandpass boxes. but I'm an idiot when i want to do it?

or is it because i said i never made one to specs? i said before that it was just not exactly calculated, and I've never had a bad sounding, non-hitting sub. even from some pyramid super pros.

anf i still don't get how you can say that one makes an idiotic comment, but they're not am idiot. just the comment was, but not you. ok. thanks for clarifying and i assure you that won't be the last idiotic comment that comes frome my fingers.

So because there are thousands of idiots on youtube, doesn't mean you have to follow them.

Research bandpass vs ported box.

Edit: I saw M5 already explained most of it.

Edited by kirill007

So because there are thousands of idiots on youtube, doesn't mean you have to follow them.

i wasn't doin research off youtube man, that's just somethin i watch for enjoyment. i build what i want (which i kinda explained in my short story of a reply), and however it turns out is how it goes. i surely don't follow the crowd, but if i like somethin then i might use it for inspiration and build from it.

for me, it's all about what i want and like. if it turns out good then great, if not then I'll do it again and again until it's right and i like it. I'm not afraid to experiment and build somethin just to tear it apart and do it again.

but I'll say again, I've never had a box turn out bad, i.e. with shit sound or no bass. they've always slammed. and with some of the cheap subs I've had and the hit that I've achieved with them, I've never screwed it up in my opinion.

bottom line, I've always been happy. and that's what it's all about, right?

How do you know what you want if you don't model stuff and compare?

And please stop defending what you've done. Your biased, all of it could have been way better with nearly no extra effort.

i wasn't doin research off youtube man, that's just somethin i watch for enjoyment. i build what i want (which i kinda explained in my short story of a reply), and however it turns out is how it goes. i surely don't follow the crowd, but if i like somethin then i might use it for inspiration and build from it.

for me, it's all about what i want and like. if it turns out good then great, if not then I'll do it again and again until it's right and i like it. I'm not afraid to experiment and build somethin just to tear it apart and do it again.

but I'll say again, I've never had a box turn out bad, i.e. with shit sound or no bass. they've always slammed. and with some of the cheap subs I've had and the hit that I've achieved with them, I've never screwed it up in my opinion.

bottom line, I've always been happy. and that's what it's all about, right?

The problem with saying they turned out great is that you have no reference point. If you actually designed the enclosure properly than perhaps you would have a better appreciation after listening, but until then you're content by ignorance. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's sort of like someone building an engine and being content because it makes 300hp, but it could have been improved upon and made 500hp. But in comparison to an engine in a honda civic it's great.