firey_kimchi

TC Sounds OEMs w/Passive Radiators

I'm finally going to put my 2 TC Sounds OEM 10's to work. I have 2 10" matching passive radiators that I'm going to use, too. I usually go sealed, but want to try these out ported (so to speak). I was going to build one box with 2 separate chambers to specs (.6 ft^3 each) but was wondering if I could just use 1 common chamber (1.2 ft^3)? Another idea would be to get another passive radiator so I'd have 3 total for 2 subs in a common chamber? Would this be better than the 2 (I heard that you should have a bigger sized passive radiator than the woofer)? All inputs are greatly appreciated.

Here's my current set up:

2000 (JDM) Subaru Legacy GT Twin Turbo Wagon

Yellow Top Optima Battery (up front)

190A Singer alternator

Big 3 (0 gauge)

HU: Alpine CDA-9887

Front Doors: Kicker ND25 Tweeters & Kicker 5 1/2 Resolutions

Amp: US Amps USA-100

Subs: 4 Orphan 8's

Sub Amps: 2 US Amps USA-200s

Yes you can do a single chamber, usually it's even better.

The Vd(=volume displacement) should be double for the radiators.

So generally double the cone area or double the amount of radiators or double the excursion on the radiators.

So 3 would be better, but 4 should be ideal.

So if I went with 3 passive radiators, the box volume will be bigger than recommended. Will that have any effect on the sound that's produced?

I was looking at building a box that's 35 x 12 x 12. This would give me 2.13 ft^3. That would be roughly 1.06 ft^3 per sub. The recommended volume, per the website, is .5 - .6. I researched on the internet and saw a guy had one in a 1.0 ft^3 enclosure with a radiator. I was going to invert the OEMs on top of the box with the passive radiators facing aft. I don't know the displacement of the radiators. I've looked on TC Sounds' website and searched the web with no luck. Does anybody know the displacement of the radiators? The website did say to use one 10" or 12" radiator, but if you wanted low bass, to use 2 radiators. Does this design sound reasonable or should I just stick to one radiator per sub? I forgot to mention earlier that I listen to a little bit of everything, from classical to rock to rap to country.

Build the box as big at it needs to be to fit the third passive, or a fourth if you can, then add blocks of wood inside to reduce volume to what's recommended.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Any pics of the TC's? Love them all.

:3 Nice

Build the enclosure yet?

Not yet. Been busy with work. I know...excuses. I'm getting the wood today. MDF in Japan/Okinawa is expensive. $50 for a 3' x 6' of 18mm (.70 inches). I'm going to invert the OEMs. I have 2 PPI PC1400s collecting dust that I'm going to push them with. So much for having space in my wagon.

Not yet. Been busy with work. I know...excuses. I'm getting the wood today. MDF in Japan/Okinawa is expensive. $50 for a 3' x 6' of 18mm (.70 inches). I'm going to invert the OEMs. I have 2 PPI PC1400s collecting dust that I'm going to push them with. So much for having space in my wagon.

No need for a trunk lol

14 cubes took a chunk out of mine and I feel your pain

So...I'm almost finished building the box. I decided to use 2 OEMs and 2 PRs. The subs are inverted. It's 34x14x14 and made with 24mm  MDF. That's about 2.7 ft^3 total (1.36 ft^3 per sub). I think I need to put a brace in the middle to keep the top from sagging with all that weight. I used t-nuts for all the subs/PRs because I'll be taking them in/out trying to get the tuning done. I still need to sand and paint but that can wait. I'll get pics up soon.

I love PR enclosures in a car. Did you finish this enclosure?

Here are two that I built.

20150919_155845.jpg

20150704_221105_zps8crc4oua.jpg

-------------

Edited by edouble101
Duplicate post

On 5/8/2016 at 4:09 PM, edouble101 said:

I love PR enclosures in a car. Did you finish this enclosure?

Here are two that I built.

20150919_155845.jpg

20150704_221105_zps8crc4oua.jpg

Very attractive enclosure.  I am toying with the idea of an Icon 12 with a PR, or similar set up to save some space.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Very attractive enclosure.  I am toying with the idea of an Icon 12 with a PR, or similar set up to save some space.

I definitely recommend it. There are some limitations to consider, the PR must me mounted vertical and you need the processing to configure the high pass just below tuning with a steep slope. I've heard a few PR systems but personally have only used TC Sounds PR's. I think PSI Audio PR's would work well too. You'd be good to go with a 15" PR and an Icon 12. 

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I definitely recommend it. There are some limitations to consider, the PR must me mounted vertical and you need the processing to configure the high pass just below tuning with a steep slope. I've heard a few PR systems but personally have only used TC Sounds PR's. I think PSI Audio PR's would work well too. You'd be good to go with a 15" PR and an Icon 12. 

Why are my posts always duplicates and my replies are never moved to the most recent post?

Why are my posts always duplicates and my replies are never moved to the most recent post?

I don't know, my pm's are doubling up too. 

I have a 10" XCON with a pair of 10" matching PRs that I too absolutely love. They're not as efficient/loud as a good ported enclosure but the smaller size and low end response is well worth the compromise. 

The SSA build house built my PRs for me to match my XCON, I thought they were very reasonably priced to get something that looks identical to the sub. I'm sure they could do it again if you really wanted to go that route. 

image.jpeg

We have considered offering it, but the demand is on the lower side.

I don't see ever being able to offer them regularly but having the capability of doing it for the occasional odd ball is great. I still thank you guys all the time when I am listening to it and showing them off. 

I finally finished the enclosure a couple weeks ago and installed everything. It's 36x14x14 (24mm MDF)...2.67 ft^3 which is about 1.3 ft^3 per sub. I hooked everything up and it sounds pretty good on some songs but I know it can get lower. I don't know what the frequency is currently. I don't have any washers or nuts on the PRs. I need to tune it but don't quite know how to tune PRs. I don't have the ability to look at winisd (I have a mac). Any help would be appreciated. I've attached the T/S for the OEMs and VMPs:

• TSP's

Qts 0.357 
    Qes 0.400 
    Qms 3.35 
    Fs 30Hz 
    Res 3.11 ohms 
    Ls 4.0 mH 
    Lp 6.26 mH 
    Rp 9.9 ohms 
    Dia 208mm 
    Vas 19.3 liters 
    Mms 224 grams 
    Cms 119 um/N 
    BL 18.35Tm 
    Spl 83.3dB 

• VMP TSP's

Qms Variable 
    Fs Variable 
    Dia 208mm 
    Mms (unloaded) 370 grams 
    Cms 180 um/N 
    Nut mass 175grams
    Washer mass (each) 80 grams

DSC03432.JPG

DSC03431.JPG

DSC03430.JPG

Looks cool, i dont know much about PRs so i cant help you there.