Sign in to follow this  
Lee Carter

Dual alternator questions.

Being an impulsive person- I done jumped off and ordered a dual alt bracket.   Figuring 2 270 amp alts would be plenty for my setup.  I was thinking, just run everything parallel, and rock on.  But now I am reading that it isn't that simple.  My Avalanche's alt is pcm controlled.  Can I just tie in another pigtail for the 2nd alt? And have both alts charge both of my batteries?

Current Parts-

1 270a Alt (would like to run 2)

2 kinetik 1800's

1 BC 5500 (will prolly be at .5 when said and done, hence wanting 500 amps on tap)

1 S800.4

does that have the clamp meter type thing around the ground cable? if so from what ive read is that you have to run whatever ground cables are needed through that clamp.  As what that clamp reads decides what your alt charges at.  And it was something along the line that you don't do the big three alt ground like usual but just the one and make it through that clamp.  And then the alts just need a turn on wire.

hopefully that makes sense

I have a 270 amp alt now that I have charging 2 batteries.  I read about the ground thing after I installed mine- I don't even know what people are talking about- as my alt grounds through the mount (no ground wire that I am aware of).  I do realize that I will only maintain a 13.6 charge with the PCM control.  I just dont want it to move from there

If I can't then I am going to sell my alt, reinstall my stock one, and order a 370 from singer and run it dedicated(one wire) for my bass amp/batteries. and HOPE it is enough.

I may have said it wrong.  The ground cable coming off the battery itself has some kind of clamp meter on it.  Basically you can't add extra grounds as that  meter has to read what is being pulled through the system, and that ground wire will control what your alt is charging at.  As for the second alt i really think all you need is a wire to turn it on.

i Have 2 alts in my yukon and have the heavy duty fuse holders from SSA red or blue. the Main alt has the XS power VCM,also not using the stock harness, i went ahead and BY passed the stock harness with a relay . now the second alt is just wired in to the same relay system that the main alt is using. 

i ran a ground (-) on each alt straight back to the Battery's in the rear and the Positive (+) power cable from each alt as well. i am doing fine so far. 

but i do need to by the harness that will tie into the Xs power VCM sooner or later to control the voltege on both alts at the same time

2 350A singer alts

5 XSPOWER XP 3000 Batts

1 AMPERE AUDIO 8.0 TFE

4 SSA EVIL 18's

Edited by Cruz87

I'll have re-look up the diagram, but you can safely bypass the pcm control. So instead of it doing short bursts of power then just doing enough power, it runs full power all the time.

What year and engine do you have?

Edited by puscifer2

2007 Avalanche.  5.3L.

I haven't fooled with the factory ground cable from the battery. but I do have other runs to the frame and body.  If the voltage drops- it is going to drop everywhere correct?

I guess what I am really trying to do it keep from running a 'bank' in the bed.  I am always throwing crap in the back.  So I have my batteries under the hood, and wanna keep it that way.

temporary-8.jpg

Well- decided to do it the easier way  Stock alt, stock battery for the truck....350A Singer and 3 kinetik 1800's to power my BC 5500.  Thanks for the help guys.

Wish I would of read this sooner I have the same set up on my 04 tahoe not trying to run a battery bank in the back either...all my batts are in the front aswell...so I going to be running two singer 270 phase 6 and singer said he sells a bypass for $12 which would allow you to run the alts at 14.8 together and not have to worry about the factory pcm controlling them...well thats what im doing...

Hows the build by the way

I have everything, but the weathers been crap- and I am doing it in my driveway. Then I have other irons in the fire too, I need to just make the time and focus on the Lanche again.  Like tomorrow- I'm going to gather some parts for a truck I bought to give my son...I should be working on my truck.LOL

So what did you come up with your alts you going to run one with stock or two 270s

Edited by Antoine'stahoe155+

Well- decided to do it the easier way  Stock alt, stock battery for the truck....350A Singer and 3 kinetik 1800's to power my BC 5500.  Thanks for the help guys.

So what did you come up with your alts you going to run one with stock or two 270s

I decided to put my 270a alt I already had in my Suburban.  Going to run a dual alt bracket in the Avy with the stock alt on the stock batt for the truck.  And a Singer 350 dedicated to the amps battery bank.  Running 4 kinetiks instead of 3, found a cheap one near e on c/l.  I have everything in hand.

Wish I would of read this sooner I have the same set up on my 04 tahoe not trying to run a battery bank in the back either...all my batts are in the front aswell...so I going to be running two singer 270 phase 6 and singer said he sells a bypass for $12 which would allow you to run the alts at 14.8 together and not have to worry about the factory pcm controlling them...well thats what im doing...

Hows the build by the way

Best Thing i ever did when SINGER told me the SAME