krazz619

need guidance

Currentlt own a HDS212 with a 750.1. I plan on getting a HDS3 very soon with a 1200.2. Now the problem is idk if u should get another 12 or try a 15. My theory, louder (which I want),capable of hitting more notes, like higher and lower hz's with a 15 compared to my current 12. But I'm trying to plan ahead for future build in my next car (which I hope it'll be an Acura RSX). So I'd like to consider how the HDS312 or 15 will sound in a hatch with good box made for the sub. Any opinions or questions needed answered to help me figure out what I exactly want.

Thanks ahead of time!

hard to suggest anything, without knowing current vehicle, space you're able to dedicate to the enclosure, type of enclosure, etc. sure, a 15 on 1200 watts "could" get louder than a 12 on 750 watts, but if put in the wrong box with insufficient electrical giving that suggestion would be horrible.

you say the plan down the road is an RSX, do you know what they have space wise that you could use? are you looking at them in a performance upgrading fashion, in which case, keeping weight down becomes a priority, and a larger heavier driver in a box much bigger becomes a detriment, or just daily and don't care about the weight?

Yah I understand the importance of the box, which is why the next one will be custom made to fit and for the sub's specs. As for the RSX and having a 15" weight isn't an issue to me at all, or space/size of it in the hatch, just as long as it works and performs enough. I just can't decide between a 12 or a 15 lol. Also, aside of not sure if the HDS12 or 15 differ as much, but I do care for both SPL and SQ, so if the 15 is only SPL and the 12 is really good with both then I guess that helps the decision. Idk, more thoughts in my head

All things equal, the 15 will be louder.

There is no replacement for displacement

Size does not make a woofer SQ or SPL.

Pointless question without stating how big the box can be. A 15 in too small of a box has the potential to get killed by a 12 in the right box.

Pointless question without stating how big the box can be. A 15 in too small of a box has the potential to get killed by a 12 in the right box.

Agreed!!!

These guys are exactly right. We need the information of the vehicle before determining what would work best.

Putting a 15" woofer in too small of an enclosure could mean  the 12" in the right size enclosure could put it to shame.

Well this actually helped me, I'll wait until I know the dimensions and if I can fit a 15" then that's what I'll put in, if not then a 12". Thanks guys

Did you decide which size would be optimal?