Jasonc13

Which active HU to replace 80prs?

Hey guys,

I'm currently running the 80prs, but I want to upgrade. I still can't get over how Pioneer could build such an excellent functioning HU, with such a shitty display!   

Which double din fully active HU would you recommend?  I really don't know where to begin.  I definitely want my SiriusXM back, and GPS would be nice. 

I would like to keep this under $800, if possible

Thanks in advance!

Jason

I don't know of any double din fully active hus. I would honestly find one you like and use a mini dsp.

good luck finding anything with better than a 8 band eq or with the active processing

I currently have the 80PRS and I'm concidering upgrading to the 99PRS because I can not find anything

else worthy enough to be an upgrade

the remote for the 80PRS sucks ass.........my old Premier 980BT was a better head unit

I don't know of any double din fully active hus. I would honestly find one you like and use a mini dsp.

Well Crap!  I figured this was going to be easy.  

Yes, the remote is awful!  I can't ever get the thing to work in bright sunlight.

Bummer is that everything is pretty much a downgrade from it.

Don't think it compares to the 80prs but the pioneer x5800 has a network mode like the 80prs. Time alignment. What I think to be good crossover (while in network mode). I own both and am happy so far.

Don't think it compares to the 80prs but the pioneer x5800 has a network mode like the 80prs. Time alignment. What I think to be good crossover (while in network mode). I own both and am happy so far.

Check again. According to the manual the 5800 doesn't have jack shit for crossovers.

The only one I have seen is the Clarion NX702.  Unfortunately, like the CZ702, the active capabilities fall short of the Pioneer.  Not horrible, but just not as powerful as it needs to be.

I agree with the miniDSP recommendation.  You can use it with whatever HU floats your boat on capabilities and have more processing power than you can imagine.

Bummer with all the external proc options are that you need a different interface for the crossovers which SUCK ass IMO.

Bummer with all the external proc options are that you need a different interface for the crossovers which SUCK ass IMO.

lol

Thanks for the advice guys!  Looks like I'll be keeping the 80prs for now, as the cons are definitely outweighing the pros.  I really do like having full adjustability of the mids and tweets at my fingertip.  

Guess i'll just get one of those old ass full Sirius rigs4123357f3da0f6e125a54.gif

Pretty much all of the newer Pioneer double din's offer active capability that end in 700

From the AVH-X2700BS through the AVH-X5700BHS including the single din flip outs AVH-X6700DVD and AVH-X7700BT  I believe these are included as well.

I grabbed some key points for the 5700 to help with your decision. Now these aren't the greatest, but it just shows that there are options out there.

Note:
The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.

4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+10 to -24).

Crossovers: The AVH-X5700BHS employs high-pass and low-pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speaker setup.

• Standard: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a standard Front, Rear, and Subwoofer speaker setup using either speaker-level or low-level outputs.
    • HPF: The head unit's -6 to -24dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
    • LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an -6 to -24dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
  • Network: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a complex 3-way speaker system with Highs, Mids, and Sub using low-level outputs only.
    • Highs: The high-pass crossover for your tweeters can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
    • Mids: You can set a high-pass and low-pass crossover from your midrange/midbass drivers. The high-pass crossover can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off. The low-pass crossover can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
    • Lows: The low-pass crossover for your subwoofers can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.

EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).

Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.

Haven't had time to look up and read the specs on the newer Kenwood units that replaced my 9980, but I hear that they are really nice.

I wrote 5800 up there. I have the avh x5700bhs. My mistake.

Thanks Nad!  Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS looks like a possibility, and the price isn't bad either @ $340 on Amazon.

The Network mode looks almost identical to the 80prs.  Do you agree?

How do you like the AVH-X5700BHS smash?  Are you running it active?

Thanks Nad!  Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS looks like a possibility, and the price isn't bad either @ $340 on Amazon.

The Network mode looks almost identical to the 80prs.  Do you agree?

How do you like the AVH-X5700BHS smash?  Are you running it active?

Lets compare! I love this part.

Here is the 80PRS

• 3-Way Network Mode (NW): This mode lets you create a 3-way multi-amp, multi-speaker system with separate speakers for reproduction of high, middle and low frequencies (bands), each driven by a dedicated power amp using the head unit's three 5-volt preamp outputs. The 3-way network mode provides network and time alignment functions; two functions essential for a multi-amp, multi-speaker system to enable precise control over settings for each frequency range. The 3-way network mode also enables low-pass, high-pass, level, and phase adjustments.
    • Time Alignment: The time alignment function lets you adjust the distance between each speaker and the listening position from 0 to 160-inches.
    • High-Pass Crossover Filter: The HPF cuts frequencies below the set frequency (1.25, 1.6, 2.0, 2.5, 3.15, 4.0, 5.0, 6.3, 8.0, 10.0, or 12.5 kHz), letting high frequencies through to the connected speakers.
    • Low-Pass Crossover Filter: The LPF cuts frequencies above the set frequency (25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz), letting low frequencies through to the connected subwoofers.
    • Mid-Pass Crossover Filter: This allows you to set a LPF frequency (1.25, 1.6, 2.0, 2.5, 3.15, 4.0, 5.0, 6.3, 8.0, 10.0, or 12.5 kHz) and HPF frequency (25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz) to allow only a specific range of frequencies to played through the connected speakers.
    • Slope: You can adjust the HPF/LPF/MPF slope for each speaker unit connected - LPF Slope (-36, -30, -24, -18, or -12 dB/oct), MPF (-24, -18, -12, -6, or 0 dB/oct), and HFP (-24, -18, -12, or -6 dB/oct).
    • Level: You can adjust the level of each speaker unit connected - High Frequencies (-24 to 0 dB), Mid Frequencies (-24 to 0 dB), and Low Frequencies (-24 to +6 dB).
    • Phase: You can switch Phase (Normal or Reverse) for each speaker unit's input signal.
    • Mute: You can mute each speaker unit (filter. When a speaker unit (filter) is muted, no sound is output from that speaker.

And here is the x5700 again

• Network: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a complex 3-way speaker system with Highs, Mids, and Sub using low-level outputs only.
    • Highs: The high-pass crossover for your tweeters can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
    • Mids: You can set a high-pass and low-pass crossover from your midrange/midbass drivers. The high-pass crossover can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off. The low-pass crossover can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
    • Lows: The low-pass crossover for your subwoofers can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.

So at first glance you actually gain a couple extra octaves in the slopes on the highs/mids on the new dd unit. However, that goes without saying that you can likely be losing separate speaker volume control and phase as I didn't read that in the manual. I may have just overlooked it though!

I am not running active at the moment. Maybe someday when I quit being scared lol. I like the double din x5700. I have not ran it to its full potential at all yet. Hell I still haven't installed speakers yet just running the Bose stock highs. Only big difference I noticed between the 2 is no left and right seperation. I loved my 80prs in my Malibu but wanted a solid dd unit for my tahoe. For my needs and possible future needs I'm happy with it.

I am not running active at the moment. Maybe someday when I quit being scared lol. I like the double din x5700. I have not ran it to its full potential at all yet. Hell I still haven't installed speakers yet just running the Bose stock highs. Only big difference I noticed between the 2 is no left and right seperation. I loved my 80prs in my Malibu but wanted a solid dd unit for my tahoe. For my needs and possible future needs I'm happy with it.

I read something about the 5700 not playing video files off the flash drive.  Any truth to that?

I suppose a rewritable DVD would work.  

How do you play videos smashed?

so the x5700 doesn't have individual gain? 

you should also compare EQ. Xover on there own aren't enough for active

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but individual set point cutoff frequencies at your fingertips instead of using passive crossovers is EXACTLY what defines it being active. Sure, a sucks ass 5 band graphic eq can make the experience horrible or less than stellar is the wording I'd use, but I believe the dd has 13 which is OK along with a few Q points per band which gives it a sort of parametric "esque-ness" to it along with time alignment. I'm not saying any noob can make it sound good, but they do have enough there to make it possible. I'd much prefer to have a 32 band graphic+ or a 9 band parametric+ or even both, but I believe this is more than priced accordingly. If nitpicking how well of processing it has then eq's are much cheaper than a full dsp for running the active side of things.

5 bands of flexible parametric are more than enough to fix anomalies.

*note I have no idea what the 5700 has as I didn't look

5 bands of flexible parametric are more than enough to fix anomalies.

*note I have no idea what the 5700 has as I didn't look

You ever get around to playing with the 80prs?

I got a chance to try out a minidsp vs my 80prs and the minidsp just is better. I wouldn't go crazy explaining why, but it just is.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but individual set point cutoff frequencies at your fingertips instead of using passive crossovers is EXACTLY what defines it being active. Sure, a sucks ass 5 band graphic eq can make the experience horrible or less than stellar is the wording I'd use, but I believe the dd has 13 which is OK along with a few Q points per band which gives it a sort of parametric "esque-ness" to it along with time alignment. I'm not saying any noob can make it sound good, but they do have enough there to make it possible. I'd much prefer to have a 32 band graphic+ or a 9 band parametric+ or even both, but I believe this is more than priced accordingly. If nitpicking how well of processing it has then eq's are much cheaper than a full dsp for running the active side of things.

i agree with you. just dont want people to make the assumption that the other features aren't important. often you will hear folks assume that the xover on their amp is enough for example.