tac2137

only 2 door speakers on 4 channel?

Sure the tweeter is still hooked up and not blown?

So i have a crossover mode selector switch with HP and LP options. Im only running the 2 speakers and tweeters so i clicked it to HP. My tweeters sounded like they came to life a little but the bass dropped even more. Im guessing its because i hear my tweeters more. My Cross over frequency adjuster knob came out of the box set to 80hz and i haven't touched that.

HP is high pass filter. The Frequency setting is where the HPF lets anything higher than that freq pass through. Without the HP turned on you are sending a full signal to the speakers, and forcing the speaker to play lower than it is intended. You could set the HPF to 63hz and would gain back some bass, but at the expense of output. Vise versa you can set to 100hz and gain output, but at the expense of midbass. Ideally you would hope the sub covered up to 80-100hz with a LPF, and then you can afford to cross the mid/tweet higher for more output.

HP is high pass filter. The Frequency setting is where the HPF lets anything higher than that freq pass through. Without the HP turned on you are sending a full signal to the speakers, and forcing the speaker to play lower than it is intended. You could set the HPF to 63hz and would gain back some bass, but at the expense of output. Vise versa you can set to 100hz and gain output, but at the expense of midbass. Ideally you would hope the sub covered up to 80-100hz with a LPF, and then you can afford to cross the mid/tweet higher for more output.

Just letting everyone know. I wasn't looking for crazy bass from these door speakers because i was intending on putting a system in this car but now i plan on getting a new car so im holding off. I just sat in my car for about an hour. I switched my rca's around and that did nothing. I changed my balance all the way over to my left speaker and changed my left neg and pos speaker wire around on my amp and didn't even notice a difference but when i set my freq to around 60 my bass came alive. I also set my gain back up a quarter of the way. The only problem i have is that i still feel like my speakers sounded better running off my head unit. Again im not looking for crazy bass i just feel that my bass sounded cleaner before i installed the amp.

You need to help us more to help you. We need to know ALL of the settings you have selected. Both in the head unit and on the amplifier. If it doesn't sound "better" with the amp there is something not installed correctly.

It would also be helpful to see pictures of the door speakers installed. Improving them with a baffle and deadening could make the biggest difference.

What sounded better? elaborate please. the overall sound was more balanced, the output level, less distortion, cleaner/crisper highs, more bass, less bass????? My opinion of "sounded better" could be completely different as thats very subjective. So what sounded better about the one setup to you? Then we can hone in on reproducing that for you.

I too would love to see a pic and know what other filters are in use.

What sounded better? elaborate please. the overall sound was more balanced, the output level, less distortion, cleaner/crisper highs, more bass, less bass????? My opinion of "sounded better" could be completely different as thats very subjective. So what sounded better about the one setup to you? Then we can hone in on reproducing that for you.

I am running the same Pioneer comp set using the front two channels of a U.S. Acoustics amp and they sound great.

Needs pics of your setup for sure, because that amp you have is a good one.

My explanations aren't the best but ill try. Mostly bass quality is what im talking about. The sound of radio hosts come in great, I can understand voices perfectly. Now when a song comes on its a little different. Before i messed with the filters the bass came in very light and sounded more like a light tap more than a full punch compared to what it was if you understand haha. Now that i changes the freq, its about medium punch compared to the full punch it had. I'd be more than willing to post some pics but i don't get off work until 7 am eastern time so i probably wont have them till tomorrow morning at about 7AM your time if you still live in Colorado. Just in FYI, My ground and remote wire are from a cheap $35 amp kit. my power and speaker wire are fosgate wire

My explanations aren't the best but ill try. Mostly bass quality is what im talking about. The sound of radio hosts come in great, I can understand voices perfectly. Now when a song comes on its a little different. Before i messed with the filters the bass came in very light and sounded more like a light tap more than a full punch compared to what it was if you understand haha. Now that i changes the freq, its about medium punch compared to the full punch it had. I'd be more than willing to post some pics but i don't get off work until 7 am eastern time so i probably wont have them till tomorrow morning at about 7AM your time if you still live in Colorado. Just in FYI, My ground and remote wire are from a cheap $35 amp kit. my power and speaker wire are fosgate wire

Is this the amp?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72515_Alpine-MRV-F300.html

Bass comes from installation...not power. Power won't hurt, but you shouldn't expect to all of a sudden shake mirrors with a cheap comp set bolted into the door.

Please share all of the settings you have implemented and I am sure we can help.

Bass comes from installation...not power. Power won't hurt, but you shouldn't expect to all of a sudden shake mirrors with a cheap comp set bolted into the door.

Please share all of the settings you have implemented and I am sure we can help.

///M5 knows his stuff. If he can't help you nobody can.

Is it a MRV or a MRP F300

Edited by pmureika

Was there any crossover being used on the hu before you got the amp?

The only way to run this amp with those 6x9's worthwhile is to go to the amp and set the filter for the channels you are using to "OFF" and use the ones on your headunit. The only thing your amplifier should be doing is amplifying the power at this point while the headunit will be doing all of the frequency equalization. Go to your headunit and set your headunit cutoff the hp at 63hz-80hz depending on how well your doors respond to playing that low of a frequency then turn your headunit to around where you would normally listen and turn up the gain on the amplifier until your reach optimal listening level while sounding good. If you need help with the crossover settings on your headunit please provide the make/model of your head unit as well.

The only way to run this amp with those 6x9's worthwhile is to go to the amp and set the filter for the channels you are using to "OFF" and use the ones on your headunit. The only thing your amplifier should be doing is amplifying the power at this point while the headunit will be doing all of the frequency equalization. Go to your headunit and set your headunit cutoff the hp at 63hz-80hz depending on how well your doors respond to playing that low of a frequency then turn your headunit to around where you would normally listen and turn up the gain on the amplifier until your reach optimal listening level while sounding good. If you need help with the crossover settings on your headunit please provide the make/model of your head unit as well.

Those are 6 3/4" component speakers. Which won't make anything different as far as adjustments go.

the full name of the amp is Alpine MRV-F300. I have my speakers and tweeters running through the passive crossover that came with the pioneer set. tweeters are at -3db. I have the speakers running to the amp. Left pos is hooked to ch1 pos and left neg is hooked to ch2 neg. Right pos ch3 pos right neg ch4 neg. Cross over switched to HP and i now have my cross over knob set to just above 60 and my gain about a quart up. I messed with the left wiring and put them vice versa and didnt notice anything so i put them back to where i had them. Ill have pictures for you here tomorrow morning cause i have to be at work on about an hour i probably wont have time to get my door panel off until this weekend. Thanks for all the help everyone. I know it can be frustration trying to help someone that doesn't know much about this stuff. 

Edited by tac2137

So far so good. Any settings on the headunit? LPF/HPF/EQ?

So far so good. Any settings on the headunit? LPF/HPF/EQ?

The only thing I messed with was bass and treble but I put the bass back to zero because it sounded sloppy and I had treble at 2. Loudness off and that's about all I have done with the head unit. I'd have to look further in what all I can do with hat head unit. I have foam speaker baffles around my speakers but I cut them in half to cover the top part of my speaker mostly to keep water away. I understand I need good deadening but that still doesn't make that the cause of it sounding worse after the amp.

I'll ask again.

Was there any crossover being used on the hu before you got the amp? It doesn't sound like it, actually, it sounds to me like you were enjoying the bass of the full(non filtered) signal from the hu going to the speakers. You installed the amp and the amp's crossover chopped off your bass output and you started scratching your head wondering what happened.

I'll ask again.

Was there any crossover being used on the hu before you got the amp? It doesn't sound like it, actually, it sounds to me like you were enjoying the bass of the full(non filtered) signal from the hu going to the speakers. You installed the amp and the amp's crossover chopped off your bass output and you started scratching your head wondering what happened.

Sorry. I was using the passive crossovers that came with my speakers before I installed the amp and had my tweeters set at -3db

The passive xover that came with the speakers only filters the top of the mid and bottom of the tweeter. The xover on the amp is filtering the bottom of the mid only. Iirc you started off with the lp/hp shut off, does it sound like before the amp install with that setting off? Did you have the cups behind the mid installed before the amp?

You say the sound is worse after the amp. Do the speakers sound any louder or better with the amp excluding the bass portion?

I'll ask again.

Sorry. I was using the passive crossovers that came with my speakers before I installed the amp and had my tweeters set at -3db

You still have it installed? If so on the amp you need to turn off the filters and let the passive crossover do the work. 

You need to post a diagrahm on how you have it wired.

Edited by pmureika

The passive xover that came with the speakers only filters the top of the mid and bottom of the tweeter. The xover on the amp is filtering the bottom of the mid only. Iirc you started off with the lp/hp shut off, does it sound like before the amp install with that setting off? Did you have the cups behind the mid installed before the amp?

You say the sound is worse after the amp. Do the speakers sound any louder or better with the amp excluding the bass portion?

The only thing i have added to me set up is the amp. the baffles and xovers have been installed at the same time my speakers and head unit were. When i clicked it to HP my tweeters came to life a little bit so it sounded a little better than when it was set to off. When i listen to radio hosts they come in a lot more clearer in my opinion but maybe a better way of putting it is when the bass hits it almost sounds like tapping a snare drum rather than the bass drum. so a light taping sound more than a deeper punch sound like it did. Once again im not looking for crazy deep bass. it just doesn't sound like it did. ill have pictures up here in a few of my amp settings and wiring.

The only thing i have added to me set up is the amp. the baffles and xovers have been installed at the same time my speakers and head unit were. When i clicked it to HP my tweeters came to life a little bit so it sounded a little better than when it was set to off. When i listen to radio hosts they come in a lot more clearer in my opinion but maybe a better way of putting it is when the bass hits it almost sounds like tapping a snare drum rather than the bass drum. so a light taping sound more than a deeper punch sound like it did. Once again im not looking for crazy deep bass. it just doesn't sound like it did. ill have pictures up here in a few of my amp settings and wiring.

wCrossover Mode Selector Switch (MRV-F300 only)

+

a) Set to the “OFF” position when the amplifier

will be used for driving full range speakers or

when using an external electronic crossover.

The full frequency bandwidth will be output

to the speakers with no high or low frequency

attenuation.

This is right out of the manual.

Edited by pmureika

+

attenuation.

When i have it set to off it sound like people are talking through a traffic cone. When i turn it on it sounds clearer and my tweeters come a live a little more..

+

attenuation.

When i have it set to off it sound like people are talking through a traffic cone. When i turn it on it sounds clearer and my tweeters come a live a little more..

Then you have something wired wrong.