tac2137

only 2 door speakers on 4 channel?

The passive xover that came with the speakers only filters the top of the mid and bottom of the tweeter. The xover on the amp is filtering the bottom of the mid only. Iirc you started off with the lp/hp shut off, does it sound like before the amp install with that setting off? Did you have the cups behind the mid installed before the amp?

You say the sound is worse after the amp. Do the speakers sound any louder or better with the amp excluding the bass portion?

The only thing i have added to me set up is the amp. the baffles and xovers have been installed at the same time my speakers and head unit were. When i clicked it to HP my tweeters came to life a little bit so it sounded a little better than when it was set to off. When i listen to radio hosts they come in a lot more clearer in my opinion but maybe a better way of putting it is when the bass hits it almost sounds like tapping a snare drum rather than the bass drum. so a light taping sound more than a deeper punch sound like it did. Once again im not looking for crazy deep bass. it just doesn't sound like it did. ill have pictures up here in a few of my amp settings and wiring.

wCrossover Mode Selector Switch (MRV-F300 only)

+

a) Set to the “OFF” position when the amplifier

will be used for driving full range speakers or

when using an external electronic crossover.

The full frequency bandwidth will be output

to the speakers with no high or low frequency

attenuation.

This is right out of the manual.

When i have it set to off it sound like people are talking through a traffic cone. When i turn it on it sounds clearer and my tweeters come a live a little more..

That really isn't possible. A HP of 60 some Hz will not change how people sound, it will just cut off the bass notes.

It is also hard for us to understand sloppy. The speakers can only play the signal they are given. If it truly sounds worse then something else changed on your settings that is causing it.

What sounded better? elaborate please. the overall sound was more balanced, the output level, less distortion, cleaner/crisper highs, more bass, less bass????? My opinion of "sounded better" could be completely different as thats very subjective. So what sounded better about the one setup to you? Then we can hone in on reproducing that for you.

I too would love to see a pic and know what other filters are in use.

You need to help us more to help you. We need to know ALL of the settings you have selected. Both in the head unit and on the amplifier. If it doesn't sound "better" with the amp there is something not installed correctly.

It would also be helpful to see pictures of the door speakers installed. Improving them with a baffle and deadening could make the biggest difference.

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Itsnotreal32/media/20150211_075232_zpsbb4xuqsk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Itsnotreal32/media/c23c81c6-aec8-4956-9938-7a2c254496e3_zpsxqffmqkg.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Itsnotreal32/media/57d8ad2e-4e19-4d0f-aad1-4a580dc9dcbf_zpsgrqvlkxy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Itsnotreal32/media/75785c29-d8a6-4feb-86b4-176d464eee19_zpsjnawwdmo.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

since it already sounded good before the amp then the install of everything else should be capable of reproducing the same sound. If not better. Recheck all your wire connections to the amp to assure nothing is shorting or touching and is connected to the correct spot. Next I would try a different set of RCA cables. 

Where did you get the amp? Do you have another amp you could try?

The passive xover that came with the speakers only filters the top of the mid and bottom of the tweeter. The xover on the amp is filtering the bottom of the mid only. Iirc you started off with the lp/hp shut off, does it sound like before the amp install with that setting off? Did you have the cups behind the mid installed before the amp?

You say the sound is worse after the amp. Do the speakers sound any louder or better with the amp excluding the bass portion?

The only thing i have added to me set up is the amp. the baffles and xovers have been installed at the same time my speakers and head unit were. When i clicked it to HP my tweeters came to life a little bit so it sounded a little better than when it was set to off. When i listen to radio hosts they come in a lot more clearer in my opinion but maybe a better way of putting it is when the bass hits it almost sounds like tapping a snare drum rather than the bass drum. so a light taping sound more than a deeper punch sound like it did. Once again im not looking for crazy deep bass. it just doesn't sound like it did. ill have pictures up here in a few of my amp settings and wiring.

+

attenuation.

When i have it set to off it sound like people are talking through a traffic cone. When i turn it on it sounds clearer and my tweeters come a live a little more..

That really isn't possible. A HP of 60 some Hz will not change how people sound, it will just cut off the bass notes.

It is also hard for us to understand sloppy. The speakers can only play the signal they are given. If it truly sounds worse then something else changed on your settings that is causing it.

+

attenuation.

Then you have something wired wrong. 

So i should have it off, right? I haven't mess with the settings that much with them off because i thought i was suppose to have it on, Im sorry for all this shit 

Why are you running the RCA spliters? That looks like the problem right there. Everything else looks good. 

+

attenuation.

+

attenuation.

Then you have something wired wrong. 

So i should have it off, right? I haven't mess with the settings that much with them off because i thought i was suppose to have it on, Im sorry for all this shit 

Being off just let a full signal to the crossovers you didn't hurt anything by having them on.

Why are you running the RCA spliters? That looks like the problem right there. Everything else looks good. 

Why rca spliters?

The manual calls for the splitters in bridged mode so you should be correct there. I am leaning towards either you have 2 of the rca's crossed at the splitter or a faulty rca cord. that or a bad amp? Where did you get the amp?

Why rca spliters?

Ok before i explain why i have spliters. The back of my head unit only has the 1 set of rca plugs so only 1 white and 1 red. Do i only need 1 set of rcas to run for the bridge or do i need 2 sets of rca cables? im running 2 sets right now..

I'll let you guys figure it out good luck.

The manual calls for the splitters in bridged mode so you should be correct there. I am leaning towards either you have 2 of the rca's crossed at the splitter or a faulty rca cord. that or a bad amp? Where did you get the amp?

Ok, i thought i read that right. i was trying to avoid really sounding like i dont know how to read a manual even though i failed with the HP switch.

Another thing to check. It is hard to tell in the pictures where the gain and crossover settings are. The "line" for the screwdriver means nothing. Turn them all the way to zero and see where zero is then turn the crossover up to around 60Hz. The gain should be set at a level that doesn't make the speakers breakup. Start low and turn it up a bit.

Also be sure that the splitters then go into the correct input on the amp. Considering the colors won't match anymore that could be easy to mess up.

I got my amp at Columbus audio. A local shop

Another thing to check. It is hard to tell in the pictures where the gain and crossover settings are. The "line" for the screwdriver means nothing. Turn them all the way to zero and see where zero is then turn the crossover up to around 60Hz. The gain should be set at a level that doesn't make the speakers breakup. Start low and turn it up a bit.

The filters on the amp should be set to off.

Yeah ill do that later on in the day. Its a little early to be playing my music haha.

No. The HP should be on. No way, no how can those comps take a bridged amp at low frequencies in his installation. To test to see if the filter is screwing things up he could turn it off but then DON'T turn it up loud as you could easily waffle one of the mids.

No. The HP should be on. No way, no how can those comps take a bridged amp at low frequencies in his installation. To test to see if the filter is screwing things up he could turn it off but then DON'T turn it up loud as you could easily waffle one of the mids.

Aren't comp. type speaker setups considered full range. The way the manual reads you want it set to off and let the crossover do the work. Other wise he will not get the lows he wants.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12224_Pioneer-TS-D1720C.html

Edited by pmureika

Also be sure that the splitters then go into the correct input on the amp. Considering the colors won't match anymore that could be easy to mess up.

Im a little lost here. I just switched my RCA cables every way possible. From the amp, from the head unit and from the splitters and i dont even notice a difference when i do so..same thing happened when i changed my speaker wires around when i put neg to pos and vice versa. 

Doesn't matter the power on the amp but what amp it is. Has to be able to take the load. Many will many won't. No one can answer generically without knowing EXACTLY what amp it is.

Sorry, Alpine F300. I can get it for about $65 instead of $200
Tank of an amp , I love mine and I've had it for over 7 years and it's seen a lot of abuse. You can run it with only two channels populated and it will be fine.

since it already sounded good before the amp then the install of everything else should be capable of reproducing the same sound. If not better. Recheck all your wire connections to the amp to assure nothing is shorting or touching and is connected to the correct spot. Next I would try a different set of RCA cables. 

Where did you get the amp? Do you have another amp you could try?

I do have another amp but its a SAZ-1500d v.3....

Some people are helping and others just confusing the matter.

OP I hope its something simple and you get it situated. Who installed it for you? Your best bet might be to take it to Columbus Audo where you bought it and have them troubleshoot it.

Some people are helping and others just confusing the matter.

OP I hope its something simple and you get it situated. Who installed it for you? Your best bet might be to take it to Columbus Audo where you bought it and have them troubleshoot it.

I thought about it but then again im not going to keep this car much longer so i don't want to spend the money. My next car is going to have subs to take care of my bass problem..I would really just like to learn from my mistakes and be able to know how to do the shit myself. 

Its simple really, what you added changed how things sounds. So troubleshoot that. I would suspect the amp, 60 bucks for something used like that could end up being too good to be true. Hopefully it isnt, if its the amp then you wont know since you don't have anything to test it against. Thats why i recommend taking it back to the shop regardless how long you are gonna have the car for.

Edited by jay-cee

After seeing the photos and not knowing how absolutely everything was installed, my first plan of attack would be as follows. Simplify what you have going on and forget bridging for now. Use just one set of RCA cable, no splitters. Use just 2 channels(ch 1+2) on the amp and leave the other 2 unused for the moment.

Also, was any sort of pre-set eq switched, maybe by accident? I know some units have pre-set curves that can sound terrible.