Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

Dead 91 CRX si

No crank, no luck with push start, it's a 5sp stick, drove it earlier several times, half tank of gas, but now it's dead dead. Not even a jump helped, our clock won't even come on. Just got a job interview today, hired, and need to figure this out by Monday or it goes up in smoke :(

Any ideas?

Had it for three months.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

fuses? 

It probably just needs a new battery. I had one and replaced one for some lady once that the internal bussing or whatever ties the cells together gets a bad connection or goes bad. No charger and no amount of jumping would work. Tossed in a new battery and everything was copesetic. At least borrow a battery to be sure.

Would that even prevent a push start? We are trying to get kerosene to heat the garage, cold fingers make pulling them super hard.

We alsp found oil leaking, under one of the spark plug connectors. Just one though, other three are clean. No oil in the reserve. Started smelling what I thought was clutch three days ago but it was shifting fine.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

We alsp found oil leaking, under one of the spark plug connectors. Just one though, other three are clean. No oil in the reserve. Started smelling what I thought was clutch three days ago but it was shifting fine.

While the car likely has a few maintainence issues I'd focus on the most important things you've mentioned first like getting it to at least turn over. Others have mentioned tossing in a known good battery as it is the easiest way to tell if the issue is much larger. If you toss in a new battery I would check to see if this model didn't have a fusable link or the wire going directly from the battery to the starter isn't severed, check all fuses and triple check them again.

It is not uncommon for these engines to get blow-back from failing pcv valves or even have a piston ring failure. Fixing other issues might not solve your largest issue which could be a dreaded locked up engine. Smells do help sometimes to determine failures of things. However, a clutch can smell like brakepads, and can even be a clutch master cylinder. I'd definitely work with what you have first before throwing money at it.

If the battery is completely dead push starting won't help because the alternator wouldn't be putting out any voltage.

Check and wiggle ALL electric connectors under the hood. There is a large connector near the battery that if loose will cause the symptoms you describe.

The 70a main is blown, and we're thinking valve cover gasket. It's in the shop now, my buddies aunt offered to foot the bill, beats frozen hands.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

The 70a main is blown, and we're thinking valve cover gasket. It's in the shop now, my buddies aunt offered to foot the bill, beats frozen hands.

That's nice of her.

That engine is infamous for valve seal leaks. If its smoking at all and the compression is good, I would have them do the valve seals.  

Better thank her this time of year bustin a knuckle is like death with the cold!

We didn't even realize it was leaking til yesterday. Not smoking and never even heated up past normal. Checked oil less than a month ago. The reserve was -empty-

Edited by SpeakerBoy

We didn't even realize it was leaking til yesterday. Not smoking and never even heated up past normal. Checked oil less than a month ago. The reserve was -empty-

Fluids need to be checked on a regular basis. At the very least once a week. Battery connections at least once a month.

Just saying

Fluids need to be checked on a regular basis. At the very least once a week. Battery connections at least once a month.

Just saying

Certainly from now on lol. I got lax, my blazer never had an issue from purchase to accident.

New fuse, and gasket and my friend is driving it home as I type this

Just saying

Certainly from now on lol. I got lax, my blazer never had an issue from purchase to accident.

New fuse, and gasket and my friend is driving it home as I type this

Glade to hear that.smile.png

Working well now?

J

Yup, all we need is new tires once it warms up, then it's running fine :D

Right on!

J