Nocturnus

Finally getting around to building a box.

I'm still playing with the software.  no clue what im doing after I open a project.

Edited by Noc

I'm still playing with the software.  no clue what im doing after I open a project.

First you need to enter in your driver information, open the driver database editor, enter the info like this:

The suggested procedure for entering driver parameters is following (check first that "Auto calculate unknowns" option is checked):

1. Enter Mms and Cms

This gives fs. If either is not available, then enter fs and other parameter.

2. Enter Sd, Bl and Re

Now, you should get all but Qms (and Qts), Vas. Please note that Vas may not match exactly what is specified by manufacturer, because exact value of Vas depends on environmental parameters. See FAQ.

3. Enter Rms or Qms.

Either one will do, although I tend to prefer Qms over Rms, because it can usually be measured in driver measurement procedures.

4. Enter Hc, Hg and Pe.

If Hc or Hg or either is available, then enter Xmax and optionally either Hc or Hg if available.

I am curious to see the min&max recommended square inches of port area for this driver and enclosure when someone models.

Calculating it as if he would end up using the Q1200 and tuned to 34hz it would take 85sqin of port area to get the vent mach down to 5m/s which is well below the threshold for any audible noise or port compression.  That should be good enough to be considered a practical maximum.

Calculating it as if he would end up using the Q1200 and tuned to 34hz it would take 85sqin of port area to get the vent mach down to 5m/s which is well below the threshold for any audible noise or port compression.  That should be good enough to be considered a practical maximum.

What would be your preferance? I just think In the 30's or even high 30's of sq in of port area would be risky for unwanted noise..IDK that is just me..

Personally I would give it as much as I can afford to give it the space for.  Going back through the calculations, with the same 1200 watts of power and tuning even with 34sqin of port area the vent mach is under 15m/s which is still plenty acceptable.  

Personally I would give it as much as I can afford to give it the space for.  Going back through the calculations, with the same 1200 watts of power and tuning even with 34sqin of port area the vent mach is under 15m/s which is still plenty acceptable.  

So @ 34hz how many sq in would you probably have for this build? Just curios.

The question ultimately boils down to what your maximum dimensions are.  Like I said, I would use all the possible available space I could for the port, personally.

If the dimensions you've indicated above are your maximum dimensions then you're going to be stuck with about 31sqin of port area.  You're not going to gain anything useful by making the NET volume of the enclosure smaller to try to gain port area inside those dimensions either.

Any reason you're thinking of getting a more powerful amp?

The question ultimately boils down to what your maximum dimensions are.  Like I said, I would use all the possible available space I could for the port, personally.

If the dimensions you've indicated above are your maximum dimensions then you're going to be stuck with about 31sqin of port area.  You're not going to gain anything useful by making the NET volume of the enclosure smaller to try to gain port area inside those dimensions either.

X2

Tweak the length of the port  walls a bit and port width and he should be able to see 34Hz with more than that with the port area for said dimensions..wink.png

I guess I'm missing something. 85in2 seems way to high.  Plugging that info into Torres, I would need a 14.4x5.5 or so port.  Then I/'d need to make the box bigger to get the box size that Sundown recommends.  The measurements in one of my first posts is pretty much the max I am giving for a box.  I still have to have a somewhat usable hatch.

I guess I'm missing something. 85in2 seems way to high.  Plugging that info into Torres, I would need a 14.4x5.5 or so port.  Then I/'d need to make the box bigger to get the box size that Sundown recommends.  The measurements in one of my first posts is pretty much the max I am giving for a box.  I still have to have a somewhat usable hatch.

If that is what fits your needs go for it...

It does.  I did the whole huge box thing with a DC AL4 18 and had no hatch left, but that was all too much for me.  I was also based my box build off of what Sundown had spec'ed out for the SA-12 baised off their Sketchup model.

Got my SA-12 back in October and finally getting around to a box build.  Fired up Torres.

boxie4.png

Single SA-12 on a SQ 750w.  Look good to go?  Or any thing I need to change?

=Going in Volvo V50 wagon, sub/port firing towards hatch.

can you tell me the demetions i need for 91 civic   12 in solo baric

Man, I've been putting this off for a while. Going to try to get started on this either this or next weekend. I need to finish before it gets too damn hot here in CenTex..

Much easier to do work now with my new schedule. 3 days off one week, 4 the next.

Edited by Noc