loud_impala

is this the sp4 era?

Is there any subs that will out perform a sp4? I mean I'm trying to avoid going with this simply because the waiting period I've been reading about this sub since it first came out..

Versatile

Ported

Sealed

4th order

Massive output

Takes well above rated

Solid build

Sexy looking (lol)

Under $500

Very good SQ

Edited by loud_impala

Zv4... just look at the juicy surround

Man, you should tell us what kind of sound you want, and we can help you. But if you're shopping for hype and eyecandy, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own.

Man, you should tell us what kind of sound you want, and we can help you. But if you're shopping for hype and eyecandy, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own.

Indeed, you are being misled by specs that make no difference

How is your Zv4 treating you?

How is your Zv4 treating you?

Its a nice driver... different from the mayhem in many ways. I like to swap them out from time to time. But atm my sundown 2k is powering on but no sound, going to check the output terminals and rca input. Hope its not the amp.

First off absolutely not, second your list is a serious wtf!! Notes included below

Versatile - yikes, opposite of what I want. Driver should excel in its application everything else is a compromise.

Ported / Sealed - umm, no, not possible. Same exact sub won't do that, see above

4th order - this is a roll off NOT an enclosure type. There are a bunch of morons on other websites promoting the utility of 4th order bandpass enclosures but >90% of their enclosures are an idiotic waste.

Massive output - It's a sub, that part is easy

Takes well above rated - Thermally perhaps, but don't be an idiot and that one is easy to avoid.

Solid build - Good point, finally.

Sexy looking (lol) - gay.gif

Under $500 - well, ok

Very good SQ - which is the exact opposite of output. Have you read anything on here?

Not saying it doesn't fit a niche. Nice one at that, but your list is a really crappy way of shopping for a driver.
I was just asking is this the new hot sub. And I don't go on looks when looking for three subs that's fits me, but you can't help but to notice it's a nice looking sub..

Hot new sub years ago, kinda late. Everybody wants TEAM subs now

I want a musical sub that can dig deep. I listen to mostly rap. Not really worried about numbers but it will be a plus if the subs can do pretty good on the meter..that's why I narrowed my options to three subs...Ethos, tantric hdd, and sp4 of course

I want a musical sub that can dig deep. I listen to mostly rap. Not really worried about numbers but it will be a plus if the subs can do pretty good on the meter..that's why I narrowed my options to three subs...Ethos, tantric hdd, and sp4 of course

No zcon or evil?

No zcon or evil?

X2

<snip> I mean I'm trying to avoid going with this simply because the waiting period I've been reading about this sub since it first came out. <snip>

<snip> that's why I narrowed my options to three subs...Ethos, tantric hdd, and sp4 of course. <snip>

Just pointing out that all subs have wait times. DSS would be quickest I am sure. and I have heard horrific long waits for Tantric stuff.  This is why I found some 2nd hand Tantrics, to not have to deal with the company directly.  DSS stuff pounds too.  All things being equal, and the room to build a proper enclosure, I like the SP4 out of those.

Just beware, wherever else you are reading has some very confused members posting. The parameters you thought were positive aren't.

Personally after seeing the business approach of Quentin and his reactions I'll never recommend a DSS sub to anyone. Turned into a Ben Milne the instant he had product to sell. There is no place for that on the internet or in life IMO.

The SP4 & SSA stuff are built right, warranted right and supported right. I can't with confidence say that about the rest of your list. And while that may not be a concern in performance it says a lot about the owners and if you are going to give some of your hard earned money to someone I'd hope they are at least stand up people.

Would you care to elaborate on dss? I noticed they aren't on the forums anymore. I'm currently looking for new subs myself and they were a option for me as well. I'm leaning towards evils though because I have a zcon and have no complaints with it or anything ssa.

Elemental Designs came up in a quick search. Not sure as to the issue with DSS here on SSA though. I guess I missed it as well.

ehh.gif 

Elemental Designs came up in a quick search. Not sure as to the issue with DSS here on SSA though. I guess I missed it as well.

x2

Q didn't bail on customers, so I'm not getting the correlation.

He bailed on ethics. The only summary necessary is he obviously put his sales ahead of doing business the right way. He chose to leave. On this forum we do not edit posts, delete posts or hide things that aren't spam. He wasn't okay with that so he left.

Kinda odd that he would leave where he obtained his customer base. Must be other issues we aren't hearing about.

He bailed on ethics. The only summary necessary is he obviously put his sales ahead of doing business the right way. He chose to leave. On this forum we do not edit posts, delete posts or hide things that aren't spam. He wasn't okay with that so he left.

Thanks for clearing that up. I assume he didn't want people to see anything negative that was posted about his product. From searching around though I can't find much information other than what was posted on this forum. Dss was the big hype a few months ago. I'm just wondering why I'm not hearing anything now. Even some of the big supporters are switching brands. Just wondering if it's because dss quality isn't there or if its just because those people are chasing numbers.

The wait is long for SSA and Fi, but when you get the product, you are so happy !!!

I love all my SSA subs, and I've never listen to a Fi or AA sub I did not like.

My N2 was a beast too: what a sub ! Big output, good sound, AND light weight ! I sold it to a friend who could not find a second one for his car.

OP : you should put the Zcon in your list smile.png  smile.png  I only miss the light weight from the N2, but I have a bigger and more powerful car, now. So...no problem !

Good luck.

I assume he didn't want people to see anything negative that was posted about his product.

It wasn't product related, but worse IMO. Would allow misled customers to go down the wrong path and then tried to remove responses that would lead them in the right direction. I can only extrapolate that this was to sell drivers. Either way, not acceptable here. All information, wrong or right can be posted and discussed in any forum including manufacturers forums.

It seems for a while there were a bunch of DSS failures as well. I am not at all saying this is product or design related as of course it is rather normal for people to eff up their subs, but the lack of discussion on that end is disconcerting. I have no idea how Q dealt with those customers, but at this point I no longer care either.

The wait is long for SSA and Fi, but when you get the product, you are so happy !!!

I love all my SSA subs, and I've never listen to a Fi or AA sub I did not like.

My N2 was a beast too: what a sub ! Big output, good sound, AND light weight ! I sold it to a friend who could not find a second one for his car.

OP : you should put the Zcon in your list smile.png  smile.png  I only miss the light weight from the N2, but I have a bigger and more powerful car, now. So...no problem !

Good luck.

How many ssa subs get bad ratings. I think they have one of the best line of subs made in America from all American parts.

Just my personal opinion.