Sign in to follow this  
Burke

Returning Member from Alabama

How's it going everybody! Returning member from Huntsville, AL. I lost access to the e-mail that my original account was set up under, so I decided to just start fresh.

The current build that I have in the works is as follows:

2 Fi SP4 18s

CT Sounds 7000.1d

Mechman 370

Mechman AVBM II

D3400 under the hood

2 D3100s in the back

1/0 ofc welding cable etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to re-introduce myself! I'm always learning from you guys, and I hope I can offer some help to some of the beginning enthusiasts.

P.S. if you have time, feel free to take a look at the tentative box design that I've put together while waiting for all of the equipment to arrive. I've been out of the game for quite a while, so it's always nice to have a second opinion. It'll be going in a 1998 4 door Tahoe. Subs up, port back along the bottom. My goal was to maximize port area while maintaining a tuning frequency under 32Hz within the dimensions that I have to work with. Max width is 46", max depth is 46", and the height from the floor to the top of the seat is 22". If I'm overlooking something, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks guys!

ExaWOxy.jpg

:WELCOME:

Welcome

How's it going everybody! Returning member from Huntsville, AL. I lost access to the e-mail that my original account was set up under, so I decided to just start fresh.

2 Fi SP4 18s

CT Sounds 7000.1d

Mechman 370

Mechman AVBM II

D3400 under the hood

2 D3100s in the back

Anyway, I just wanted to re-introduce myself! I'm always learning from you guys, and I hope I can offer some help to some of the beginning enthusiasts.

P.S. if you have time, feel free to take a look at the tentative box design that I've put together while waiting for all of the equipment to arrive. I've been out of the game for quite a while, so it's always nice to have a second opinion. It'll be going in a 1998 4 door Tahoe. Subs up, port back along the bottom. My goal was to maximize port area while maintaining a tuning frequency under 32Hz within the dimensions that I have to work with. Max width is 46", max depth is 46", and the height from the floor to the top of the seat is 22". If I'm overlooking something, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks guys!

ExaWOxy.jpg

Any reason you have choose to run the port back on the bottom? Given the dimensions you have given and with the desired frequency being a slot port, I have seen many builds with much unwanted port noise..From flexing or non-thought through internal bracing...Damage was done and when internal bracing was done of course changed the desired frequency..Port area still looks small in my opinion.. I would have at least 325 sq in of port area..This is only a personal preference..

Welcome, I'm in Madison.  This snow we are having is a bitch huh?  Not far at all...cool to run into someone close by.

2 Fi SP4 18s

CT Sounds 7000.1d

Mechman 370

Mechman AVBM II

D3400 under the hood

2 D3100s in the back

Thanks guys!

ExaWOxy.jpg

Any reason you have choose to run the port back on the bottom? Given the dimensions you have given and with the desired frequency being a slot port, I have seen many builds with much unwanted port noise..From flexing or non-thought through internal bracing...Damage was done and when internal bracing was done of course changed the desired frequency..Port area still looks small in my opinion.. I would have at least 325 sq in of port area..This is only a personal preference..

I just got done typing a long reply and accidentally clicked "More Reply Options" instead of "Post." fml...

I decided to go subs up port back because I've heard from multiple sources that it is the ideal configuration in my particular vehicle. I suppose I could put together a standard vertical slot port and see if I can make it do what I want it to do. I did the port along the bottom for no reason in particular, just thought it would be a cool thing to try.

Regardless, I guess I should account for more than .3 cubic feet of internal bracing given that it's going to have to be incredibly sturdy to eliminate unwanted noise. I appreciate the heads-up!

As far as the port area goes, I just don't see how it's possible to go any higher while maintaining a tuning frequency of under 32Hz and staying within the possible dimensions, but I'm open to suggestions!

Edited by Burke

Welcome, I'm in Madison.  This snow we are having is a bitch huh?  Not far at all...cool to run into someone close by.

Yes indeed! And hell yes this snow is ridiculous. My head unit was delivered to my dad's house earlier today, but I can't drive over there to pick the damn thing up. So frustrating!

Welcome back to SSA!  Fellow Alabamian here too...but a LONG way from Huntsville.lol

Welcome back to SSA!  Fellow Alabamian here too...but a LONG way from Huntsville.lol

Thank you sir!

2 Fi SP4 18s

CT Sounds 7000.1d

Mechman 370

Mechman AVBM II

D3400 under the hood

2 D3100s in the back

Thanks guys!

ExaWOxy.jpg

I just got done typing a long reply and accidentally clicked "More Reply Options" instead of "Post." fml...

I decided to go subs up port back because I've heard from multiple sources that it is the ideal configuration in my particular vehicle. I suppose I could put together a standard vertical slot port and see if I can make it do what I want it to do. I did the port along the bottom for no reason in particular, just thought it would be a cool thing to try.

Regardless, I guess I should account for more than .3 cubic feet of internal bracing given that it's going to have to be incredibly sturdy to eliminate unwanted noise. I appreciate the heads-up!

As far as the port area goes, I just don't see how it's possible to go any higher while maintaining a tuning frequency of under 32Hz and staying within the possible dimensions, but I'm open to suggestions!

My opinion would be to give a vertical port with the said dimensions of a port 16" with wall #1 39.50 in length and wall #2 29.0" in length..after displacement and 90 degree corners you should be in the 32Hz range..Drivers will not be able to be left to right to stay in between the port walls. Should net around 315 sq in of port volume.And of course 21.25 in height with a double baffle for a 22" height total.. smile.png

Tn/Ala State line here ....WELCOME.gif

Well damn, there's quite a few off us in close proximity.  Small world...

2 Fi SP4 18s

CT Sounds 7000.1d

Mechman 370

Mechman AVBM II

D3400 under the hood

2 D3100s in the back

Thanks guys!

ExaWOxy.jpg

My opinion would be to give a vertical port with the said dimensions of a port 16" with wall #1 39.50 in length and wall #2 29.0" in length..after displacement and 90 degree corners you should be in the 32Hz range..Drivers will not be able to be left to right to stay in between the port walls. Should net around 315 sq in of port volume.And of course 21.25 in height with a double baffle for a 22" height total.. smile.png

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Well damn, there's quite a few off us in close proximity. Small world...

There sure is haha. Who knew?