Sign in to follow this  
ArrizX

8s vs 12s on prefab enclosure

OK so here is the hopefully last thread on my truck.

I am buying a prefab box. I know no one recommends a pre fab box but there is only one way to fit it under the rear seat in my 2014 F 150 super cab. Unless I decide to take more floor space for more air space its kind of a set design. Id rather not eat more floor space because the back does get used a little bit.

Anyways

http://www.soundoffaudio.com/2009-2014-ford-f-150-extended-cab/

http://www.supercrewsound.com/09F150ECUTSdual.html

Are the two I am looking at.

No matter what air space is .80 cube before sub. I was wondering if for the space, I could get a little better smaller subwoofers. Instead of getting low end larger subs that dont take as much if I went with smaller 8" subs. Though they cost more, there are much better quality subs that would work for me.

Example I was planning on RE REX 10s, then I decided REX 12s but looking at it vs say a Sundown SA 8, the SA 8 is a much nicer sub that takes more power and will move more air (although have less cone area).

I guess all I am asking is if I should get as big as sub as I can fit/afford/use for enclosure or if I should get the highest quality sub I can even if it means going smaller?

Would anyone care to comment on size vs quality?

I am not sure how to approach a box this small and this little volume? Last truck I had I took half the back seat and had an SA 15 in it in an extended cab pick up and it was awesome. Not looking for the same out put this time though. Just low end that sounds good.

the best way to figure this out yourself would be to model the subs in the enclosure air space and compare. 

that said i can cut down the options for you right away. 0.8cuft is too much air space for an 8". regardless of that, there's no replacement for displacement. the 10 or 12 is easily the better pick. 

I think you can find much better sub options at the ssa store. Sundown Sd series might be an option given the enclosure depth (something you might have overlooked). 

Edited by lithium

do you already have an amp for the subs? 

I did overlook the SD because I was trying to stay away from specifically designed shallow subs. But this sub looks bad ass.

A 12 appears to require 1 whole cubic foot. Would it be okay on .7 cubic feet because thats the net after the driver takes .1 cube.

it might work well enough in .7 with polyfil stuffing. 

I did overlook the SD because I was trying to stay away from specifically designed shallow subs. But this sub looks bad ass.

A 12 appears to require 1 whole cubic foot. Would it be okay on .7 cubic feet because thats the net after the driver takes .1 cube.

Why not go with a 10? :s

No reason not too. I had 10s in my last car with a crappy stereo. Hate doing the same thing again even though they are different 10s. I just havent had 10s for a while. I may have to though.

No reason not too. I had 10s in my last car with a crappy stereo. Hate doing the same thing again even though they are different 10s. I just havent had 10s for a while. I may have to though.

Thats why the install matters more than equipment. either model the 10s and 12s in that volume or contact sundown and see what they recommend. 

Sundown SD 10's would work well. I would also consider DCON 10's

pretty sure they wont fit but worth looking in to

both boxes list mounting depth at 5.375"and that's exactly what the DCON is

Edited by gss

i was thinking the dcons have pole vents. so they would need another 1/2-1 inch behind the motor. 

i was thinking the dcons have pole vents. so they would need another 1/2-1 inch behind the motor. 

The old ones did, the new ones have a solid rear plate now.  Though I'm still not sure I'd use them if there's not at least a little bit of clearance to keep the motor from hitting the enclosure wall in case of flex.