audiohz

best crossover frequency for 12's and slope?

Playing around on the amp with some 12's ported.. What you guys setting at? My amp is a fixed 24db slope.

Set the high pass filter / subsonic filter a few hertz below the tuning frequency of the enclosure.

Personally I like the low pass filter set around 50-60hz, but you could try 80hz and work your way down until you're happy.

Set the high pass filter / subsonic filter a few hertz below the tuning frequency of the enclosure.

Personally I like the low pass filter set around 50-60hz, but you could try 80hz and work your way down until you're happy.

x2

On the subsonic I have seen so many different ways on that from half octave to 5hz below and 1 or 2 hz below, so I'm not really sure is the best . the box is tuned at 35hz subs are sundown sa12.

On the subsonic I have seen so many different ways on that from half octave to 5hz below and 1 or 2 hz below, so I'm not really sure is the best . the box is tuned at 35hz subs are sundown sa12.

Set it to 33hz. If you lack control with the bass/volume knob and are always looking for that little extra output to impress people than go lower.

I'd be surprised if you could even differentiate between 33hz and 30hz on the knob. You could always use a digital multimeter to read the voltage output before and after the subsonic adjustment with a constant tone playing and calculate the actual frequency--if you feel you need some insurance.

How certain are you that the box is tuned to 35?

that was actually a mistake its 34hz.. The box was professionally built by a very reputable shop.

that was actually a mistake its 34hz.. The box was professionally built by a very reputable shop.

That still doesn't garuntee it's tuned to 34 Hz. If you have a way to measure the tuning I would suggest you do so.

That still doesn't garuntee it's tuned to 34 Hz. If you have a way to measure the tuning I would suggest you do so.

its 34hz i can garuntee that!

How?

I've never actually seen a shop build what they promised.

It would be pretty easy to take accurate dimensions of the box and plug it into some software.

None of my local shops ever accounted for port displacement, meaning they were/would have been tuned higher than expected if it weren't pointed out.

Wow this really got off topic... The box is 34hz tunning end of subject. How, when, where, who its 34hz.. Hate that you guys doubt that... Most likely you have been fu*ked over from a shop or know some one who has... A local shop got me once.. I done research and found one of the best dude's around to do my boxes and they always turn out amazing. I have delt with shady shops its terrible.

For the purpose of setting the SSF it sure doesn't hurt to find out the exact tuning frequency AND it's simple to do.  The process requires only a set of test tones and about five to ten minutes of your time.

First off turn your SSF all the way down then set yourself up to play the tones, start at about 40 to 45hz and turn the volume up until the sub is moving enough to easily see.  Then change tracks going down one frequency at a time watching the cone's movement closely as you go down.  You're looking for the cone to be moving the LEAST amount and when you see it start moving more again you've gone below the tuning frequency.  Back up one track at a time until it goes from moving the least to moving more again and keep that up until you've zoned in on the frequency it's moving the least and THAT is your real tuning frequency.  Now, for example lets say it is 34hz as you so adamantly claim, then choose a frequency that's three to five hertz lower than the tuning frequency (i.e. 31-29hz).  Now turn the SSF up until the movement of the cone is half of what it was when you started.  Your SSF is now properly set.

No one is trying to be demeaning by what they're saying about your enclosure and whoever built it.  They're just trying to help you understand that it may not be as perfect as you first assume.

Wow this really got off topic... The box is 34hz tunning end of subject. How, when, where, who its 34hz.. Hate that you guys doubt that... Most likely you have been fu*ked over from a shop or know some one who has... A local shop got me once.. I done research and found one of the best dude's around to do my boxes and they always turn out amazing. I have delt with shady shops its terrible.

The reason people brought it up is that advising a SSF point is based on the enclosure tuning, and if the enclosure tuning is off than the SSF won't be protecting the driver from over-excursion as much. Meaning the likelihood of the driver being ruined increases. We forum members are spending our time to help you and all that we ask in return is that you don't waste our time by making sure the tuning is in fact what you believe it is. It's not hard to verify and choosing not to is just being lazy. It would literally take you five minutes. Good luck with your build.

Great shop of yours should have set your ssf right...

How do you even know how to set the HPF at a certain number? The dails on those amps are far from accurate.

You don't even have to know the tuning to set the HPF.

OK checked the box and went to another shop out of town had it checked out and its 34hz... The ssf is on point now .. Haven't messed with it much in a while. Just still wondering what the best crossover point. It was all set at 80hz last but sounded a bit slopy.. What do most you guys crossover 12's at ?

Has nothing to do with being a 12 and everything to do with your install. No one can tell you where to set it outside of somewhere between 40-120Hz would probably do.

Has nothing to do with being a 12 and everything to do with your install. No one can tell you where to set it outside of somewhere between 40-120Hz would probably do.

well its sa12 in a 2.25 cubic ported in a tc.

That isn't what I meant.

First step, SHUT IT OFF. Now listen to your mids. Optimize the crossover for them. The lower the crossover the less volume you typically will get without distortion. Once you find a compromise blend the sub back in and adjust the crossover until it sounds best to you.

Then I'd go back and re-evaluate the previous settings as well. Your ear will be good at tricking you until you train it.