SpeakerBoy

Large amps at high impedance

I'm not asking for any practical purpose, or for any real world application. I've just NEVER seen this question asked, and after a bit of gin, I started to wonder,

Are large amps, for example NS-1, IA80.1, AB1101.1, Stetsom 14k etc, you know, big ass amps, able to be run at 8ohm, 16ohm, and (never seen a speaker system run at this) 32ohm?

I see no reason why you would considering the price to watt ratio, but could you safely?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

But why would you want too, defeats the whole purpose of the amp. I know i have heard where some amps dont like loads that high but honestly doubt anyone has tested these amps to see as it would be pointless.

If you have a size 7 foot can you wear a size 14 shoe?

About what I expected, I just had to ask;

Thanks for humoring me lol. Only reason I'd ever imagine someone doing that would be if they cooked the drivers in their wall and wired up a pair of temp drivers like, 8's or 10's, as high as possible to survive the amp til recones got done, but then again, most of us here would probably just wait it out, or be smart on the knob.

Huge difference in that example as compared to going from a 1ohm to a 32ohm load like you stated in the first post.  

I do have one cabinet at home that is wired to 16ohms, but that one fits a slightly different purpose.  Still too much gain too.

Yes. There are DOZENS off high power amps that are used for high impedencies.  Particularly almost every amp in Brazil. Highest amp they offer is the 60k, which is to be run on a HV system, and plays rull range. Obviously at higher ohm loads, you'll have less power. But these can be played at different ohm loads. I doubt anyone plays at 16 or 32 ohms though. You get enough speakers, to bring it down to a more reasonable 2, 4, 8 ohm load. 

It was told to me in a nut shell that "high current" ( class D) amplifiers run lower ohm loads to make power. But "high voltage" (class AB) amplifiers run higher ohm loads to make power. Usually 4 or 8 ohms in car audio use.

My sub bass amplifier (class AB) never sees anything lower than a 8 ohm load.

Hope this helps.

It was told to me in a nut shell that "high current" ( class D) amplifiers run lower ohm loads to make power. But "high voltage" (class AB) amplifiers run higher ohm loads to make power. Usually 4 or 8 ohms in car audio use.

Hope this helps.

Where did you hear that?  A little more explanation on the nutshell would be beneficial.

Hope this helps.

Where did you hear that? A little more explanation on the nutshell would be beneficial.
I like get to out with our car audio friends and family at shows and events across the great united states we live in and see what they have in thier vehicles. Was I wrong with this info? Edited by Randal Johnson

I would say yes, both my class d and ab amps put out more power at a lower ohm load

I would say yes, both my class d and ab amps put out more power at a lower ohm load

Ok, thanks for the correction. Ive been out of the game a while.

Sorry guys

I like get to out with our car audio friends and family at shows and events across the great united states we live in and see what they have in thier vehicles. Was I wrong with this info?

As the norm you seem to listen to the wrong people.

Ok, thanks for the correction. Ive been out of the game a while.

Sorry guys

Must have been a long while. Class D's came out in the 60's...

My DD Z1 burst into flames when playing music at 4 ohms. It was still playing when I shut if off. Bad design, output voltage could exceed the low-pass capacitor's rated voltage. 

I would not push my luck with more than 4 ohms :)

Imagine that DD and bad design, lol

Digitally Designed flames. 

I had a Team RF amp that burst into flames back in 2002 ........ LOL

I had a Team RF amp that burst into flames back in 2002 ........ LOL

My brother-n-law had a Kraco power booster that burnt his whole interior in the early 90's...lol biggrin.png