blowthemup

Recone Question

Can you recone a 12" to a 15" if you get a larger basket?

Sure you can. What do you want to recone?

Edited by pmureika

Awesome, thinking of having my 12" zcon reconed to a 15" and stepping up the power a little more.

Awesome, thinking of having my 12" zcon reconed to a 15" and stepping up the power a little more.

How much power?

Would sell my sundown saz2500d and probably get a crescendo bc3500 or 5500. Leaning towards the bc5500 to accommodate impedance rise and have a little head room maybe.

Would sell my sundown saz2500d and probably get a crescendo bc3500 or 5500. Leaning towards the bc5500 to accommodate impedance rise and have a little head room maybe.

You doing one sub? I would go with the 3500 and make sure you set the gain and others amp settings properly.

Depending on the box you have it in, the 3500 would be plenty. I am running a zcon 15 on a BC3500 myself.

You doing one sub? I would go with the 3500 and make sure you set the gain and others amp settings properly.

Yeah just one sub, I would like to do two but space is tight in my little civic. 

I would be going from 3 cubes @ 30hz to 3.8 cubes @ 33hz for the 15" if i can fit the bigger box. The 12" is currently port and sub foward and the 15 would be sub up and port forward or back.

Depending on the box you have it in, the 3500 would be plenty. I am running a zcon 15 on a BC3500 myself.

If you have questions you can ask hdrox88.smile.png

You can get away with a smaller box by giving it more power.

Edited by pmureika

If you already have a 2500, the extra electrical load of another 1kw might drop voltage enough to negate the power jump, unless your electrical is setup to handle that level of power. Going from 12" to 15" will give you the boost in output, that amp swap may or may not even be noticeable at that power level.

My electrical runs the 2500 just fine. 280a Singer alternator, xs 5100 under hood, 3400 in the back. Plan to add a second 3400 in the back and ditch the 5100 under the hood cause its in the way of a cold air intake waiting to go in. I think the two xs power 3400 will be enough for the crescendo 3500.

As long as everything is wired well, that should keep a 3500 afloat ok unless you intentionally overdo it.

What about adding another 12?

What about adding another 12?

He may not have that much room for a box compared to one 15.

Budget may come into play here too. With 2 zcons, the 5500 would be the better amp choice of the options listed. If budget and space permits, more cone area is the easiest way to get louder.

I can probably squeeze two twelves its just gonna involve more work and a larger budget. Was my original plan but I started to try and cut my costs.

I can probably squeeze two twelves its just gonna involve more work and a larger budget. Was my original plan but I started to try and cut my costs.

It's your money I think one 15 would be enough. If money is the main factor then the 15 with a bc3500d is the way to go. I don't think you will gain that much by going to two 12's.

It's your money I think one 15 would be enough. If money is the main factor then the 15 with a bc3500d is the way to go. I don't think you will gain that much by going to two 12's.

X2....smile.png

X2....smile.png

If I do go two twelves they will be firing forward as well as the port. Slight possibility it will get sealed off from the trunk if thats the case. Just kicking around ideas, but I like the idea of upgrading from a twelve to a fifteen and upgrading to a larger amp. Overall it will be slightly cheaper, less work I have to do on electrical, and lighter/smaller...not trying to make my civic any slower than it already is lol.

I hear you. lol

I definitely like where you're going with this!  From what you have suggested, my vote is 2 Zcon 12s on the 5500.morepower1.gif   No way 1 15 on a 3500 would be as loud.

Of course the only way you would get this big ole box in there is from inside the car.  I have seen a couple builds where frame work was cut supporting the rear deck and bolt in struts were fabricated to keep body rigidity.  I too am considering something of this nature to get more room for my 18s. 

Will you post a pic with your seats down?  I think you have a good amount of height IIRC.