Tyrell Wilson

How Much Do You Throw At Your XCONs? (Daily)

You're arguing with one of the most knowledgeable people on the board. I'd give what he says a try before trying to dispute it. The board is here to learn from, remember :P

Are you saying you have crossover points with zero overlap?  With numerous speakers playing the same frequency, even if the same size, you will have some cancellation also.

I agree with ///M5, as soon as I saw that link......

You're arguing with one of the most knowledgeable people on the board. I'd give what he says a try before trying to dispute it. The board is here to learn from, remember tongue.png

I am not arguing.  I am simply asking a question.  Telling me to sell/return most of the equipment i purchased isn't teaching me anything.  Or telling me that what I have is overkill/no good is not helping either.  I am not saying he is incorrect, i am simply asking for explanations.  

Are you saying you have crossover points with zero overlap?  With numerous speakers playing the same frequency, even if the same size, you will have some cancellation also.

That is correct, i have crossover points with no overlap.  I was not aware that there would still be cancellation if the same speakers at the same size were playing the same frequency.

Are you saying you have crossover points with zero overlap? With numerous speakers playing the same frequency, even if the same size, you will have some cancellation also.

That is correct, i have crossover points with no overlap. I was not aware that there would still be cancellation if the same speakers at the same size were playing the same frequency.

You want to underlap your crossover points. They aren't a digital cutoff, it's 6/12/18/24 db an octave.

For example, every octave above the point is half as loud. But still being played.

ANY two drivers playing the same frequency will create cancellation. Conveniently for subs the wavelengths are really long, for the rest you get a mess.

You can't just arbitrarily pick cross points and have stuff work either. You REALLY need to listen to them.

You're arguing with one of the most knowledgeable people on the board. I'd give what he says a try before trying to dispute it. The board is here to learn from, remember tongue.png

I am not arguing.  I am simply asking a question.  Telling me to sell/return most of the equipment i purchased isn't teaching me anything.  Or telling me that what I have is overkill/no good is not helping either.  I am not saying he is incorrect, i am simply asking for explanations.
It is your job to ask questions on things you don't understand, spoon feeding isn't helpful not even in the short run.

Compounded by the fact that you showed up on the board with the typical run of the mill SMD misinformation that is prevalent in a ton of new members. Most then exhibit the stubborn behavior that they are unwilling to learn nor ever cared to. Only posted here to have someone say nice choices. When that fails they run.

More than willing to help, but surely won't pad any comments to help with feelings. All that being said, it sounds like my comments DID help. You are actually questioning what you were going to do. Before that wasn't the case. Now it is your turn to choose what you'd like to learn and make better. Bummer you already spent the money, but at least you haven't wasted the time/money on the install which is btw more important than the gear. Easy to pick gear, hard to make it work perfect.

I decided to go ahead and wall my Accord Coupe and have gone w/ 4 12" SSA XCONs on my 2 Orions 2500s. I am going to do completely custom doors and pillars.  I will let you know of the front stage once I figure it out.

i wish you could hear my front stage...a SINGLE pair of 6.5" components with 640w rms per channel

it's crystal clear and stays ahead of my two 12" subs very nicely....staging is awsome

my ground pounder had only two 6.5" mids and a tweeter in each door that kept up to four 15" Xcons easily (800w rms per door)

listen to M5....stay away from SMD install photo's  if you want it to sound good... a door stuffed full of assorted drivers 

gets loud.......but sounds like shit as far as staging and SQ

Or go with a pair of under dash horns and a 8" pro audio mid per door, like stated above multiple speakers per door only create chaos.

You don't need a door full of speakers to sound good.:)

How would you all recommend setting up 4 XCon 12s?  Flat ported wall, 4th order, etc etc...?

This will be in my accord coupe.

Flat ported wall

I am thinking of using a aero port in my wall (simply b/c not many ppl do it).  How large of a aero port do you think i need for 4 XCons?  The box should be around 11 cubic ft if i keep it simple.

I am thinking of using a aero port in my wall (simply b/c not many ppl do it).  How large of a aero port do you think i need for 4 XCons?  The box should be around 11 cubic ft if i keep it simple.

You will need more than one I would think.

Three or four 6 inch aero ports. Or maybe two 8 inch aero ports. But I would put it in a modeling software to see what will work best.

Could try a 12" port

Three or four 6 inch aero ports. Or maybe two 8 inch aero ports. But I would put it in a modeling software to see what will work best.

I currently have 1 8" aero port and could always order up another.  What software would you recommend?

Could try a 12" port

I have access to a 12" aero port, I may try that out as well.  I am planning on making my wall w/ a interchangable port so I guess i could always get both :D

I currently have 1 8" aero port and could always order up another.  What software would you recommend?

http://www.lineartea.../winisd-07x.exe

On a wall how much port do you need size wise?

I currently have 1 8" aero port and could always order up another. What software would you recommend?

On a wall how much port do you need size wise?
the question isn't relevant. Wall or box with the same volume better act the same otherwise you didn't seal your wall for shit. Port size can NEVER be answered by a rule of thumb but only by modeing air velocity. As for what velocity is acceptable that depends on your tolerance for chuffing noises

Nevermind, I have a designer.  Now I just need 2 more 2500d's :C)

What brand? I went back to the start of the thread and see you are using Orions.

Edited by pmureika

Yeah, I am currently going to run 2 Orion 2500d's.  I may later add 2 more 2 the mix if I can get my hands on them.

However, I still am torn between a regular ported enclosure and a 4th order.  :(  When I do the "math" it says that my subs are not made for a 4th, but they are more so suited for a regular ported enclosure or a 6th order.  That is just the math though, I wonder if anyone has any real world experience with these subs in a 4th order enclosure and their performance.