fred57

Advice on 3 way front stage

Just wanted some opinions on a good front stage for my 2000 grand marquis running 2 15" ssa xcons with crescendo 3500d. Currently using some cerwin vega HED365C 2 way component speakers up front not much mid bass at all an tried sound deadening the one door an still sounds not that great.

More info needed. Start with "tried deadening" what did you do?

put sound deadener on the outside of the door panel an the inside panel an some foam between the speaker i suppose i did not block off the hole in the door though. 

Going 3 way requires a bunch of processing and experience. If you haven't run active yet, then you should really start with a 2 way.

any suggestions on a good two way or is mine good and not installed properly 

if you haven't covered the hole and installed mlv then you haven't properly installed the midwoofer. after that come back and let us know what you think. more speakers and expensive gear wont fix an install problem

Edited by lithium

Ok well i just ordered 10sq ft of MLV. Hopefully that does something.

get some closed cell foam to decouple the mlv from the door panel. 

It won't hurt.  Also, what are your mids mounted to?  If they're just screwed down to the factory locations that's also not quite good enough.  Solid mounting baffles are required, not just for this set but for any other speaker you install in your doors.  

I also don't consider one little MDF/wood ring a SOLID baffle either.

IMHO, I would call this example a MINIMUM requirement for a solid mounting baffle.  More could have been done to this.

DSCN0124.jpg

well shiet. Yeah i screwed it right into the factory location. 

Edited by fred57

Nothing will sound good like that

So even if i make  a baffle an MLV the door i should not put the speaker in the factor hole? if so what location would be best?

Edited by fred57

It has less to do with location than how it's mounted in that location. Don't get me wrong you can definitely change the staging by moving the driver to a different spot, but a properly installed speaker will be far more effective than just a simple swap over.

It has less to do with location than how it's mounted in that location. Don't get me wrong you can definitely change the staging by moving the driver to a different spot, but a properly installed speaker will be far more effective than just a simple swap over.

Exactly.  The picture I showed you above is in the door of a 2001 GMC Jimmy.  The door panel is made in such a way that integration is a snap.  Not all vehicles make it that easy, but just about anything you can do is better than the flimsy factory setup.

Here's the backside of the door panel on that truck.

1011001821.jpg

Here's the panel after the modification.

1011001824.jpg

Here's the finished product.

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

Sorry image small you have to click it i don't know how to post it correctly

Grand Marquis door

Edited by fred57

If the kick panel is not an option then i would shoot for the yellow area you pointed out. Will need to fiberglass the panel and mid will stick out since there is no hole in the door for the magnet. Unless you plan on doing some cutting on the door metal itself.

Should have tons of rooms in the kicks, plenty of benefits of kick installs when possible.

Mount a piece of mdf or ply-wood to the metal door around the factory mounting hole. Make the wood cover as much area as possible around the speaker hole and secure it to the metal door as solid as possible. Use as thick of material as will fit behind the panel. When installing the speaker, use butyl rope at the mating surface. This should give you a good solid baffle and mount.

No need to build a pod unless you are trying to aim the driver, trying to add a small enclosure or building a pod for the kick panel. 

ugh. well i just sound deadened both sides of the door and went to apply that MLV an cut the FF!!!!!!! out of my finger idk why there isn't a warning on that SH**?? anyways lined it all up an go to put door on an it would not line up with the screw holes for my door an i just got super fed up with everything an ripped it all off an thru it in the trash. Drove to the drive through and got a 6 pack. least the doors are deadened.

Edited by fred57

ugh. well i just sound deadened both sides of the door and went to apply that MLV an cut the FF!!!!!!! out of my finger idk why there isn't a warning on that SH**?? anyways lined it all up an go to put door on an it would not line up with the screw holes for my door an i just got super fed up with everything an ripped it all off an thru it in the trash. Drove to the drive through and got a 6 pack. least the doors are deadened.

lmao...sorry to hear about your finger! Been there before. It's got an edge on it for sure!

An edge on MLV??? It's just a thin soft rubber mat, I don't understand how someone could get cut on it.

Oh im sorry it was Damplifie. Could have sworn i ordered MLV