khinds94

Desperate need of some help

Car on or off doesn't matter.  The sub cannot be connected to the amp and expect an accurate measurement.

Car on or off doesn't matter.  The sub cannot be connected to the amp and expect an accurate measurement.

car off means the amp is off. so wouldnt it be the same as just wiring them in parallel and putting the probes across positive and negative terminals while not connected to the amp?

Nope.  Even when the amp is off the output terminals are connected to circuitry inside the amp.  That circuitry has it's own resistance/impedance (depending on the amp) and therefore affects any resistance measurement taken when it's connected to what you want the real measurement of.

Think of it like a third coil connected to the dual coils on your sub all wired in parallel.  You don't want to include it in the measurement because it's not a true representation of the sub itself.

Nope.  Even when the amp is off the output terminals are connected to circuitry inside the amp.  That circuitry has it's own resistance/impedance (depending on the amp) and therefore affects any resistance measurement taken when it's connected to what you want the real measurement of.

Think of it like a third coil connected to the dual coils on your sub all wired in parallel.  You don't want to include it in the measurement because it's not a true representation of the sub itself.

So where should I go from here? measure the resistance again? even though i checked the coils are 2.4 before i put the sub in... or should I go buy a clamp meter?

Change back to your old sub and so the same tests. See what is wrong.

J

I would do that If I had another sub that was working... the mayhem has bad coils and the Zv4 had burned leads so I need to recone them both.

I used an Alpine sub free air that my friend had and the voltage drop to low 14s at 2 ohm which still doesnt seem right.

Possibl you damaged the amp when you bbq'd the mayhem.

J

J

I would do that If I had another sub that was working... the mayhem has bad coils and the Zv4 had burned leads so I need to recone them both.

I used an Alpine sub free air that my friend had and the voltage drop to low 14s at 2 ohm which still doesnt seem right.

J

The mayhem probably broke from clipping... how could the amp be damaged from that.

Unhook the sub from the amp and remeasure the resistance of the sub.  If the individual coils are 2.4 before you install it, then at the wires that hook up at the amp the resistance should be around 1.2 ohms wired in parallel.  I know, it's really close to what you were measuring, but to KNOW for sure it's right you need to have the wires loose from the amp.

Once you've done that and verified nothing is hokey with any wiring then do as the others suggested and put the old sub in.  Do more checks.  Don't worry with plotting impedance just yet, a good clamp meter will probably be more money than you're willing to spend on a piece of test equipment right now.

Unhook the sub from the amp and remeasure the resistance of the sub.  If the individual coils are 2.4 before you install it, then at the wires that hook up at the amp the resistance should be around 1.2 ohms wired in parallel.  I know, it's really close to what you were measuring, but to KNOW for sure it's right you need to have the wires loose from the amp.

Once you've done that and verified nothing is hokey with any wiring then do as the others suggested and put the old sub in.  Do more checks.  Don't worry with plotting impedance just yet, a good clamp meter will probably be more money than you're willing to spend on a piece of test equipment right now.

thanks for the help Alton been a struggle the last 2 days

J

J

The mayhem probably broke from clipping... how could the amp be damaged from that.

Google it young grasshopper. You will find the droids you are looking for.

J

I read mention of checking power and ground connections, but didn't see any result. Have you checked them all? Also, where is your volt meter wired to? Is it wired to the rear battery? Or somewhere up front in the vehicle?

I read mention of checking power and ground connections, but didn't see any result. Have you checked them all? Also, where is your volt meter wired to? Is it wired to the rear battery? Or somewhere up front in the vehicle?

I have not checked power/ ground connection connecting to the amp and was also going to check the rear ground to frame, I will tomorrow because its raining here. The volt meter is wired right to the inputs of the amp.