pmureika

What is clean Power?

I have read articles on google and still don't understand it completely. So what is clean power?

Power that is free of distortion.

Now that the fairy tale is out, a better description could be had.  To keep it subjective but mostly appropriate I'd say power that is free from audible distortion.  Of course this means that every person will have a different definition, but so be it.  That response is also very frequency dependent.  No major anomalies should be in the signal due to the amplifier either.

Now that the fairy tale is out, a better description could be had.  To keep it subjective but mostly appropriate I'd say power that is free from audible distortion.  Of course this means that every person will have a different definition, but so be it.  That response is also very frequency dependent.  No major anomalies should be in the signal due to the amplifier either.

Do  the amp manufacturers put a rating on their amps of some type?

:suicide-santa:

Their marketing departments put all sorts of subjective ratings on them :P

Their marketing departments put all sorts of subjective ratings on them tongue.png

I don't think the industry has any standards that they follow 100% of the time.

I've often looked at the THD and thought it meant nothing.

There should be an "Audible distortion percentage" rating as well.

3000x1 @ 1ohm = Rated 75% before audible distortion

1500x1 @ 2ohm = Rated 83% before audible distortion

1000x1 @ 4ohm = Rated 92% before audible distortion

But what is distortion at any ratings. Is it just noise from overvolted outputs? Could it be a squared off wave? We always argue here that power is power, but what does it mean to you that it makes your power clean vs distorted. For someone that doesn't care about a meter it might mean more to have the cleanest possible sound, but they likely won't need the most power. Would it benefit them to get a much larger amp that distorts much less at a higher ohm load vs a much higher quality amp that distorts about the same at a much lower ohm load?

Distortion is "measured" as THD, ie total harmonic distortion.  Meaning how much bleed over of the signal occurs in multiples of the note being played.  Basically impossible to detect on music, this requires a sine wave to simplify the process.  ie, what is the amplifier doing that is not in the original signal and what percentage of the original signal is it.

No way, no how could an "audible distortion" be added as a spec, lol.  That would imply that everyone's ears are the same.  This is far from the truth.

Matters are made worse as there is no standard for testing of amplifiers PERIOD.  There is a logical test methodology that surely could be used, but it is super expensive and the manufacturer today has no benefit in doing so.  Design validation sure, but from a marketing stand point it would basically only be a major fail.  Same reason that no one publishes klippel or laser vibrometry measurements on drivers.  The good companies do both, but it doesn't behoove them to share.

Thanks for your inputs.

suicide-santa.gif

I think you need to grow up dipshit!

And don't play the negative game.

I can do the same with you!

Edited by pmureika

Please calm down here guys, we dont need to be calling each other names and constructive criticism is preferred.

:suicide-santa:

Haha calm down Sandy, I dont neg your posts. Sorry other people think they are pointless as well. :roflmao:

Just because I put that emoticon dont take it so personal.

Edited by jay-cee

suicide-santa.gif

Haha calm down Sandy, I dont neg your posts. Sorry other people think they are pointless as well. icon_roflmao.gif

Just because I put that emoticon dont take it so personal.

But the fact is you have gone back and neged things in the past that I don't like. I don't like to neg. anybody I will say something first or if I don't have anything good to say I won't say it.smile.png  

Edited by pmureika

Always being on mobile, I kinda forgot we had a rating system lol

Always being on mobile, I kinda forgot we had a rating system lol

we do and until this thread I didn't realize anybody cared about it. Seriously though this isn't junior high....no one gives a shit if you are wearing wranglers or guess.

^^ Made me LOL.

suicide-santa.gif

I apologize for that. It won't happen again jay-cee.smile.png