jimbo slice

ssa xcon for house

What do you guys think of an 18 inch Xcon for home audio/ movies? I know this is a car audio forum but i was just wondering if anyone has done this and their results. Home audio subs are expensive for what you get and there's not too many choices really compared to car audio. I'am planning on using a 2000 watt crown drive core amp for it

Edited by jimbo slice

home audio/ movies?

Those are two drastically different applications. Most people tune in the mid teens for movies whereas tuning for music is more often in the low 30's. 

I did this with a JL 15W0V3 and the info can be seen here: http://www.homeaudioforum.net/topic/664-jl-15w0v3-and-bash-500w-plate-amplifier/

Sub will do what you need it to for sure.  As Jake said though designing one for music and one for movies will net you VERY different designs.

i also wonder if i could put a 20 hz port in it for movies, then i could plug it for a sealed application for music,but the box might be too big for sealed then...really dont know

i think i may go with ssa's recommended small ported box size of 6.35 cubic ft with 20 hz port then plug it for music

Edited by jimbo slice

I always wondered if there was a compromise like low 20s for tuning in home audio to play music but still get some use when watching movies. A reason why I never tackled the home audio setup since Ill use it more for music than movies.

For movies I'd tune way lower than 20Hz.  Somewhere around 12...

I have 2 pre built subs both 20 hz, the lower the music the better it is, not a lot of higher output. Movies they sound great even for there small size in a smallish medium sized room. They are two 10 inch subs, that's why i am looking at the xcon because it is so much bigger and powerful with good excursion so it should be good and loud in sealed (when plugged) while being able too hit the higher frequencies

Edited by jimbo slice

Where'd you get a prefab tuned to 20?

infinite baffle can get down past 12 hz but a box sub??? hmm. I am not trying to do that right now lol....one day i want too. maybe the xcon can though

Edited by jimbo slice

I'd keep those for movies and the xcon for music. :P

infinite baffle can get down past 12 hz but a box sub??? hmm. I am not trying to do that right now lol....one day i want too. maybe the xcon can though

If you want movies you need to go super low.  You will also need a really robust SSF that gets appropriately low.  It still will "play" music, but won't be optimized.

What about a slightly higher tuning combined with like, a set of buttkickers?

lol right,, but don't really got the room for it. The xcon will blow them out the water in either case i believe on free air lol

Edited by jimbo slice

What about a slightly higher tuning combined with like, a set of buttkickers?

butt kickers are cool...yeah.. xcon and butt kickers lol. i just want to build my own sub lol

Edited by jimbo slice

If you want movies you need to go super low.  You will also need a really robust SSF that gets appropriately low.  It still will "play" music, but won't be optimized.

what's an ssf??

I ended up having two subwoofers. One for music, one for movies. 

I use a MiniDSP for processing. 

what's an ssf??

oh i got ya. To keep from damaging the driver with low hz

I ended up having two subwoofers. One for music, one for movies. 

I use a MiniDSP for processing. 

yes that is probably ideal, but for right now i just want one

what's an ssf??

A subsonic filter. It's used to stop lower frequencies from getting to the sub. Frequencies that are lower than the box tuning will increase sub travel drastically, causing the speaker to reach it's physical limits very quickly. 

If you don't use a SSF on a ported enclosure expect the subwoofer to break. Especially during movies. 

but for right now i just want one

Then you have to pick a compromise. 

but for right now i just want one

Then you have to pick a compromise. 

yeah i really think this driver would work just fine in a sealed enclosure compared to what i have now... i'll figure it out