Clinton Anderson

FT1 Tweeter question

I'm looking to get a few FT1 tweeters and FT1XOVER's i know the tweets come in 4 and 8 ohm loads and the FT1XOVER are the same, 4 & 8. my question is does the FT1XOVER's load and tweeter load change the Ohm? or do i simply match the ohm load for the FT1XOVER and tweet for the desired ohm load?  

Edited by Ahiru2

Not sure what you are going to do with a "few" FT1 tweeters, odds are it will sound like ass. But since you are set on that idea match the Tweeter ohm with the xover ohm.

Those'll punch holes in your ears in the car ._. Especially several.

Crossovers shouldn't change the ohm load. I wasnt a fan of my FT1s at all, good luck.

the reason for a few is i'm pairing 1 with midbass drivers in each front door. i know these are loud, i need loud to keep up with my subs. I'm running 2 DC Audio level 4 12's with 3k power. i was just wondering if the xover was going to change the ohm load because the xover has an ohm load just as the spear does. i need to know if i need 4 ohm tweets and 4 ohm xover or 8 ohm tweets with 8 ohm xover to reach 4 ohms, sorry for the confusion. 

Edited by Ahiru2

They aren't loud. They are ridiculously exaggerated at very FEW frequencies. Ear bleeding is a good way to describe them with ZERO potential to be musical. Complete trash. Product releases like this make me avoid a whole brand. Craptastitilitastic.

Match the tweeter impedance to the specified crossover.  I.e., use the 4 ohm tweeters with the 4 ohm crossovers...

The impedance presented to the amplifier is primarily influenced by the driver.  If you have the 4 ohm drivers and the 4 ohm crossover, the amplifier will be presented with a nominal 4 ohm load.

If you use the tweeters with the wrong crossover, the cutoff frequency will be off by one octave...  They will sound horrible or you blow them...

Those tweeters don't sound very good...

I think your overestimating how loud your sub stage will be. Normal tweets that come with a component system would suffice.

I'm running 2 12" dss ethos on 3k. With crescendo comps. up front. Trust me they do fine.

Also underestimating how crappy the FT1's sound.

Better yet just order these and save some money.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1PIJ3M?psc=1

Truly concerned

And you weren't about the FT1? Both options are puketastic.

Mine was meant as a joke.....

I mean that that package deal exists lol

Better yet just order these and save some money.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1PIJ3M?psc=1

Truly concerned
And you weren't about the FT1? Both options are puketastic.
Mine was meant as a joke.....

I mean that that package deal exists lol

haha right?!

Have 2 in each door, ... Im not a fan. (one would be plenty, as awful as 2)

I have some passive xovers sitting in my junk drawer if you want them.

Ive spent a lot of time, finding the active xover, slope, band adjustments, and setting the attenuation on those things to get them to sound at all listenable. 

Ive gave up, and.... just try not to call k9's over, and shatter peoples ear drums with them when i play.  If i could find something with the same foot print, so i could just drop them in, id swap today. 

Anyway, if you want these passive xovers, let me know. (let me go make sure i still have em)

Why is everyone not recommending the FT1s, what is so wrong with them? I've been looking into them for a long time and have had my heart set on them, and to see this post now, it really deters me from buying them. I have owned alot of different sets of tweeters, and different styles, none have made me happy.  None of them are loud enough, not even with 2 pairs of each with only a 1k to 2K sub amp to run along with them.. they are all too quiet IMO and the bass overrides them sometimes.. I do still have an SQ subwoofer right now ATM (Fi Q 15"), and it overwhelms any typical sets of 1" tweeters, even 2 sets can't keep up to my liking. Examples I've owned are, a cheap pair of Hifonics, Ampere silk domes, Focal inverted domes, and even Mclaren mylar domes. I used to pay attention to SQ, but I'm noticing I must be more of an SPL type of guy, and don't really care too much for SQ as much as I thought I did. I want things to sound good, but I want the mids and highs to be loud and overpower the sub so I can actually hear the lyrics during the entirety of a song, not hear just bass when the sub plays a 40-50hz note. Sorry if I thread jacked, I'm new to this forum. I have 2 sets of pwx 6s, and 1 set of pwx 10s, a sundown sax-125.4, and a sundown sax-125.2 that I'm gonna install if needed, but would like to hook them all up to the 4 channel if possible. I'm stuck on Crescendo or Sundown, so don't recommend any others please. My only other options I was leaning towards was 2 sets of crescendo sts-1 silk domes($70 per set) or 2 sets of sundown SD silk domes($50 per set), but I know silk domes are SQ oriented mainly, so that leads me back to the FT1s. Any input? Thanks

My current tweeters play more range than the FT1s I had years ago and have great output as well, I've been happy since. I've had plenty of supertweeters and just didn't like the FT1s, too damn screechy. Plain and simple no tweeters will keep up with subwoofers unless you install some underdash horns. Plus besides playing 5kHz and up as well as leaving a gapping hole between your mids and tweets, unless you are gonna it hit me pay that high of a frequency the what bother.

What does your current front stage consist of (speakers, mounting locations, aiming, doors treated, power, processing etc.)?

Well at the moment I have an Alpine cde-164bt, 1 set of pwx 6s in the stock front door locations under the door panel, and one Mclaren tweeter also in the factory door location up a little higher by the door handle, and I have one set of pwx 6s in a custom rear deck I made before I realized everyone and their brother says no rear deck speakers.. but I will not get rid of them back there. The pwx 10s are new and not installed yet. So altogether, I have 4 PWX6s and 1 set of Mclaren Mylar domes running with the passive crossovers, and the sax-125.2 powering them. Oh and I have another set of the Mclaren tweets at the bottom of the apillar running off the headunit that I don't always use, but they're actually louder than the ones running off the sax-125.2 with the 2 sets of PWXs believe it or not. I got a 40 SQ ft bulk kit of sky high 120 MIL in the trunk, rear deck, and front doors(not fully deadened though but decent). I was really planning and hoping to build fiberglass pods in the front doors for one of the PWXs 10s with one of the pwx 6s and 1 FT1 per door soon in the future coming weeks.. I have an sax-125.4 coming Tuesday to either Ad to my setup or replace my sax-125.2, whichever would work better with all the PWXs and a set of two of tweeters. Before I forget, the tweeters that I run through the PWXs passive have been blowing. It's the only thing I've really ever had issues with besides a sub or two I had to recone. I've blown 2 pairs of ampere tweets and crossovers, and 2 pairs of mclarens over like an 8 month period, part of the reason for me buying the 4 channel amp, so the tweets and mids would have their own channels and or amp depending on what I wanna do or what others would recommend.

Edited by Ace87

My sets of Amperes and McLarens lasted a couple months each, but after tuning my amps with the dd1 and cc1, I blew my one set of McLarens within days.. this was recently, as I just got the dd1 and cc1 a few weeks ago.. they made a difference though, and everything seemed to work better, or so I thought.. now I'm down to the one pair of Mclaren tweets running just off the headunit.. I wanted to run just 1 set of FT1S with the 4 PWX6s and/or 2 PWX10s and remove all 4 of the Mclaren tweets altogether.

Edited by Ace87

" I used to pay attention to SQ, but I'm noticing I must be more of an SPL type of guy, and don't really care too much for SQ as much as I thought I did"

Well, using the PWX's and FT1's,... your quote is dead bang. I couldnt stand my Ft1's, and have NEVER heard a rig with the pwxs play worth a damn. (they are popular around here local with the kids)

They dont dig down at all. Like, zero mid range, let alone ANY mid bass. Just get loud as fuck. Good luck with em. I had a more spl oriented set up also, but was able to get my door drivers down to a 63hz cut off, on a 12db slope. They were 4- 8" seleniums, per door, ... needed processing through out the pass band to even get them to sound "decent".

And again, the FT1's (2 per door) where complete garbage.  Just my .02/opinion. 

edit- I hope that didn't come off like I was completely shitting on your gear. It will perform and do what you need. What one person thinks sounds "ok",.. sounds like complete turd to another. And I didn't mean to come off like a cock. Best luck with everything. 

Edited by Kylar96

1 hour ago, Kylar96 said:

" I used to pay attention to SQ, but I'm noticing I must be more of an SPL type of guy, and don't really care too much for SQ as much as I thought I did"

Well, using the PWX's and FT1's,... your quote is dead bang. I couldnt stand my Ft1's, and have NEVER heard a rig with the pwxs play worth a damn. (they are popular around here local with the kids)

They dont dig down at all. Like, zero mid range, let alone ANY mid bass. Just get loud as fuck. Good luck with em. I had a more spl oriented set up also, but was able to get my door drivers down to a 63hz cut off, on a 12db slope. They were 4- 8" seleniums, per door, ... needed processing through out the pass band to even get them to sound "decent".

And again, the FT1's (2 per door) where complete garbage.  Just my .02/opinion. 

Well damn... ok. I'm stuck with the PWXs for now and I am using them for the time being. They actually do have good midbass I think, but I guess I'm lost on what "good" really is. They have more midbass than a few comp sets I've run, but they're not that great, you can tell they're a PA speaker, which I didn't know what that meant when I first purchased them, just seen people liked them and they seemed popular with people all over on YouTube for instance.. but for the price they are decent, at least they're reliable and I don't have to take the door panels apart and find the surround deteriorating on one of them or seeing the terminals get all rusty from a few drops of water that got in the door when it rained for days.. I can't see wasting $200-$300 on a set of comps again like I did with Ampere and having a horrible experience with them.. Would you recommend a set of 2 of the silk domes I mentioned in my post instead? Or is that a bad idea too?

19 hours ago, Ace87 said:

Why is everyone not recommending the FT1s, what is so wrong with them?.....I want things to sound good, but I want the mids and highs to be loud and overpower the sub so I can actually hear the lyrics during the entirety of a song, not hear just bass when the sub plays a 40-50hz note. 

They are complete horseshit and pointless...in particular for you.  There are VERY few females that can sing higher than 4kHz and the FT1's can't play lower.  They will do NOTHING for your goals.

19 hours ago, Ace87 said:

I have 2 sets of pwx 6s, and 1 set of pwx 10s, a sundown sax-125.4, and a sundown sax-125.2 that I'm gonna install if needed, but would like to hook them all up to the 4 channel if possible.

That is going to be a monster fail as well.  These are psuedo pro audio drivers with very limited frequency response and they will not mate well together.  These are your problem and adding the 10's won't help at all.

18 hours ago, Ace87 said:

My sets of Amperes and McLarens lasted a couple months each, but after tuning my amps with the dd1 and cc1

Ouch, sell the dd1 and cc1.  Two completely useless paperweights.

You've been getting ideas in all the wrong places.  Only question is are you willing to start completely over?  If not, don't expect anything to work well with what you have.  Sorry to be so to the point, but I am not surprised you are unhappy and looking at upgrading.  

If you want to keep your pwx's then run a pair of 6.5s per door and fiberglass the panel. Sell your 10s and put towards some better tweeters, one set will be fine. 

The only thing i like about the pwx's is that you can put LED's behind them and they glow. Other than that i wouldn't run anything front stage from Crescendo. I have had awesome luck with their amps though.