Adam Murphy

wall help

I am 19 I have 2 sp4's on the way. I have 2 ampere 3800's. Everything going in a 98 dodge ram 1500 ext cab. I'm wanting at least 154-56db to the ear. Would 2 in a 4th order do the job or would 3 be better? I'm not trying to get 4 because I want to save money.

One that is one hell of a number to shoot for unless you have built walls before. In this game, chasing numbers takes time, patience, and shit tons of rebuilds. Go do some research as to what others with your vehicle have done and go from there.

J

Flat wall, driver side port...best advice I can give you and aton of elbow grease

Big score for a first major build.

Trial and error will teach you a lot, also, if you have access to a computer, learn to model enclosures.

Flat wall with probably be louder, less complex, etc.

What's your electrical look like?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I have someone experienced doing my wall. I have 2 northstar 400's 100ft of 2/0 welding cable and singer 320 alt. I would think 3 in a 4th order would be louder to the ear?

If you have the space, more cone area almost always means higher efficiency. I'd use as much as you can properly fit.

What makes you think a 4th order band pass (ported boxes are 4th order designs too BTW) is going to get louder than a regular ported box?

Big score want there......... with that gear......

Then again.. a 55 to the "ear"... can be about anything............. 

Meter .... thats different ....

I just love 4th order responses, and really good and wide play range on music. I was gonna do 3 sp4's inverted in a 4th just cause it hasn't been done in a vehicle like mine before. Amps battery's on a tool box.

I had 3 SP4's in a flat wall doing 55's at the headrest and 58's in kick. I would try for 3 if you have the money. You don't have room for 3 in a 4th however. I would stick to a flat wall

I just love 4th order responses, and really good and wide play range on music.

Your comment is correct about a standard 4th order ported enclosure, but NOT about a 4th order band pass. Wherever you are reading is confusing you....A TON. Perhaps if you took a second to think about what the term band pass means it would become more clear.

If that is your logic for attempting to build one it is going to be a monstrous fail compared to just building a "normal" box. Doing something to be different (or the same) as others is a terrible reason to do anything btw.

And please, stop referring to ANY enclosure as a "4th order" as that is far from describing any one box type. Shows a complete lack of understanding of rudimentary audio. (ought to tell you something about where you read others calling BP enclosures "4th orders")

Were they in a extended cab truck?

And I decided on flat ported wall. More than likely 4 sp4 15's. Any idea of how the specs and tuning would need to be? And port location for best daily musical? Double or triple baffle? Frequencies wise I want 24hz to painful 40's..

Were they in a extended cab truck?

That is irrelevant.

and really good and wide play range on music.

Frequencies wise I want 24hz to painful 40's..

Good & Wide is less than an octave???

Do you really have ANY idea what you want or are you just citing terms and numbers?

Air and painful highs. I don't compete or meter. Just demo

Painful?

Yes as in 40hz notes choke you out and 20hz moves air. I was thinking 32hz tuning with big center port

Well first you need to figure out what kind of space you have to work with

Shoot for 20cu net with around 300 sq in of port, tune low maybe around 30-32. That way if you up power you can shrink box size and it will at the same time raise tuning some if you decide to shoot for better numbers. Example If you build at 20cu net and tune at 32hz with 300sq in of port, by dropping the internal space to 16cu net it would raise tuning to 36hz without having to change port area. This isn't as easy as interchangeable ports but more affective I believe as you can slowly decrease internal space and find what balance is best for you.

But if your builder is good and you don't compete you likely won't change it. If built correctly it sounds like it would be a pretty mean setup

Painful?

Yes as in 40hz notes choke you out and 20hz moves air. I was thinking 32hz tuning with big center port

You used painful for highs. I understood the stupidity on the sub portion already.