slim142

FM radio = more bass than iPhone signal?

I noticed that FM signal (radio) songs play with a lot more bass, and I mean A LOT more.

When I listen to the exact same song using my iphone, some songs sound dead. I can tell there is a huge difference.

I understand some radio stations boost their signal or use EQ, but why is the difference so noticeable?

For starters the iPhone has an eq in the settings. Might check that.

Curious which you think sounds more accurate?

For starters the iPhone has an eq in the settings. Might check that.

Curious which you think sounds more accurate?

Im not really the type of user who plays around with EQs. I like leaving it off.

Regarding your second question, I buy high resolution music and CDs mostly. I understand iTunes converts them down to 256kbps AAC and a lot is lost, but still, the amount of bass missing when comparing the radio and my iphone playing the same song is too big to not question it. The music from my iphone plays very good regardless, but that extra punch the radio provides makes me feel like my iphone is not providing me the whole experience.

Edited by slim142

Not that I am suggesting playing with the eq on the phone, but would check to make sure its set flat. Other than that, it does not surprise me the radio signal has a boosted low end. 

To transmit music they typically compress the crap out of music, so you lose a lot of gain and frequency response. It would be likened to going from 96kb/s to 320 kb/s.

Not that I am suggesting playing with the eq on the phone, but would check to make sure its set flat. Other than that, it does not surprise me the radio signal has a boosted low end. 

I'll give it a shot on flat. Not expecting miracles though lol.

To transmit music they typically compress the crap out of music, so you lose a lot of gain and frequency response. It would be likened to going from 96kb/s to 320 kb/s.

Correct, so if some gain and frequency response are lost for FM transmission purposes, why does so much bass get played through my sub?

I understand sometimes "muddy" low quality music can produce that extra-bass effect, but honestly, it doesnt sound as if this was the case.

I'll give it a shot on flat. Not expecting miracles though lol.

Correct, so if some gain and frequency response are lost for FM transmission purposes, why does so much bass get played through my sub?

I understand sometimes "muddy" low quality music can produce that extra-bass effect, but honestly, it doesnt sound as if this was the case.

I'm sorry, I read that in the reverse for some reason.

What app are you using to play music from? I know in spotifiy under music settings you can enable compression making all of the quietest points as loud as the lowest (Iphone only IIRC). Also it depends on at what rate your music is encoded at, since mp3 compression works by removing things that are normally out of the human hearing range which can cut out a lot of low end. Another thing to check for in your headunit settings is gain or in unit compression, when using bluetooth I had to enable this to even out the vast differences of recording standards.

Thats why always having a little more power on tap or gain room allows you to make up the difference.

I would hope you want the eq on your phone flat. 

The radio station runs the signal through a sound board before transmitting. They are boosting (or more likely cutting) certain frequencies. This is why it sounds different, or bloated in your case.

What app are you using to play music from? I know in spotifiy under music settings you can enable compression making all of the quietest points as loud as the lowest (Iphone only IIRC). Also it depends on at what rate your music is encoded at, since mp3 compression works by removing things that are normally out of the human hearing range which can cut out a lot of low end. Another thing to check for in your headunit settings is gain or in unit compression, when using bluetooth I had to enable this to even out the vast differences of recording standards.

Thats why always having a little more power on tap or gain room allows you to make up the difference.

Sometimes the standard music app. Sometimes the djay app. All my music is 256kbps AAC (itunes automatically converts it during sync).

Might burn a CD with .wavs to see if the conversion could be culprit. I use the 3.5mm phone jack. No bluetooth. Im using my factory radio (BMW), no major sound adjustment options other than bass (on +2) and treble (default).

The radio station runs the signal through a sound board before transmitting. They are boosting (or more likely cutting) certain frequencies. This is why it sounds different, or bloated in your case.

Why would I want to make the signal flat? I never play with EQs because even though some people like to make music sound a step better, those settings might not be the best for the upcoming song.

Sometimes the standard music app. Sometimes the djay app. All my music is 256kbps AAC (itunes automatically converts it during sync).

Might burn a CD with .wavs to see if the conversion could be culprit. I use the 3.5mm phone jack. No bluetooth. Im using my factory radio (BMW), no major sound adjustment options other than bass (on +2) and treble (default).

Why would I want to make the signal flat? I never play with EQs because even though some people like to make music sound a step better, those settings might not be the best for the upcoming song.

Try enabling dynamic range compression (DRC), that usually helps out a lot.

"Flat" is an un-molested signal, meaning nothing is added or taken away. 

Could be the phone cutting bass frequencies to protect the micro sized speakers(earbuds) since you are using the 3.5mm jack.

Sounds like something Apple would do.

Edited by hdrox88

Several of my local radio stations boost the bass significantly.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you are experiencing as well.

Same here, my radio stations are always louder than any music i own (bought or downloaded). Never really bothered me that much.

Here in St Pete I know 98 rock does boost the lower end of the frequency spectrum when sending out the signal.

J

What is a radio?

More seriously this is expected. Radio stations cater to idiots and therefore already ruin music before the put it on the air. Exactly why I started my post as I did.

Great! for a moment I thought it could have been my receiver or my iphone signal.

Seems like Im not the only one who noticed.

Thank you all for your input!